Anyone not really into fantasy/sci-fi that much?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I can make a very clear distinction about what I like and don't in respect of fantasy, and I think that it is summed up perfectly by the two examples of Donaldson given above. The quest based fantasy of the Chrons type, I'll normally be okay with; political type fantasy of the Mordants Need kind will by and large bore me. (Navel gazing stuff like the third Chrons is pretty tedious, even if situated in a quest setting.)

I suppose I tend towards action as opposed to too much internal thinking based narrative. I like my fantasy settings to be medieval, not mixed in with too much tech, and I lean toward a good "sword and sorcery" type of fantasy. My protagonists I like to start in village style settings (normally they work in the inn), get caught up in a quest following a visit by a Gandalph like figure and develop from hapless floundering about into competent adversaries for the 'dark lord' style nemesis they struggle against. One member of the team usually is confused by some (generally ancestor related) power or quality they discover they possess (or have always known themselves to have deep down, that makes them different from their support cast friends who accompany them on the quest. (Who are comprised by a solid half-brother and the wayward son of a nearby Lord - a cheeky chappie full of japes who carries an ancestral sword, and cries the name of his family when going into battle; he finds his pride on the journey, thanks to a hooded wanderer type who turns out to be a prince of a far off land. There is also a girl of stunning beauty who tags along somewhere into the ride.) It helps that they have a bit of 'elf' somewhere in their background. Also a few black crawly things of ineffable power should be tracking them.

Yep - that's the formula to get me on board! Can't think why no-one's thought of it before.

:lol:
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

You've read Wheel of Time right? :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm on book four or five Av; I've lost count and have flagged a bit with it!

I'm struggling with reading quite a bit at the moment; I've got books by the score, but can't seem to settle on one. I start a new one (or pick up a semi-completed one) and enjoy it for a day or two......then go off the boil with it. I finished a book on quantum gravity yesterday - but it was only a short one, doable in three nights of reading. I've got one on the go about the history of the Bible which is interesting to a degree, if a bit dry. It's a damn shame because reading is a very important escape mechanism for me - and I seem to be loosing it.

:cry:
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Eh, it's the times...I've been struggling to settle on either a book or a game myself recently...call it the last couple of months at least. Just sorta drifting, nothing catching my interest or imagination much.

(Oh, and as I've said before, 1-6 are great, 7-9 progressively worse, 10 is abysmal, and then they improve again from 11 to the end. (Also I was fairly satisfied with Sanderson's take-over of them.)

(And a series is allegedly in the works, some people appear to have been cast already, although unsure how firmly...)

--A
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

My perception in Australia is that in recent decades fantasy books have come to occupy an increasingly large proportion of the shelves in scifi/fantasy bookshops, and an increasingly large proportion of the scifi/fantasy shelves in mainstream bookshops. Is this perception accurate in terms of what we know about book-buyers' changing preferences? Also, does it reflect a trend specific to Australia or is it more general?

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, I think more general, especially as the people who grew up on it became more and more part of the buying public.

Certainly here the current amount of sci-fi / fantasy is staggering compared to 20 years ago, when you'd be lucky to get a couple small shelves... :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

...... Unless you went to Forbidden Planet in Denmark Street (London)! It was a Mecca for sci/fi and fantasy lovers! Gosh - the happy hours I spent in that place as a student many moons ago!

:D

On the growth of fantasy - true in the UK as well...... but more fantasy than sci/fi I think. Some of the latter coming out with the Warhammer series and the like, but fantasy seems to predominate on our shelves.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote:...... Unless you went to Forbidden Planet in Denmark Street (London)! It was a Mecca for sci/fi and fantasy lovers! Gosh - the happy hours I spent in that place as a student many moons ago!
Haha, funnily enough I frequented it for a while in the mid-90's. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Excellent! It moved at some point from Denmark Street on to Oxford Street (bigger premises) - the lower end, further down from the Tottenham Court road junction (St. Giles Circus iirc).....flashier premises but not quite the same character I thought, but I was checking it out earlier and I believe it may have moved again. Either that or my memory is playing tricks with me!

:)

Were you living in London at the time Av, or just a visitor now and again?

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Nah, I was living there in '96 for a year, then again in 2000, and in 2001 (but they were not concurrent, went home in between).

Yeah, I saw it's in Shaftesbury Ave now.

The one I really miss from back in the day was the Intrepid Fox in Wardour Street. :D (They were clients of ours so I was there regularly. :D )

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I know Wardour Street Av, but not Intrepid Fox. Was that a comic store or did it do books as well?

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Haha, no, it was a quite famous pub. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: If it was a pub then it truly is amazing I didn't know it! I spent a great deal of time (and money) in West-End pubs! In my defense I was a student however ;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

A sad day when I heard it closed...was originally opened in 1784:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intrepid_Fox

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I used to hang out in a few skanky pubs on St Giles Circus (God knows why - they were horrible) and The Hog in the Pound up on Bond St (iirc). Then there was the one on the corner of Carnaby St...........no, actually two - the Irish one on one side and the bigger one on the other (the Dog and Duck?). I've lost too many days and nights in those places.......

:lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”