What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Finished Name of the Wind and then moved to another series for which I only own the first book, uh, Mark Lawrence's Empire of Thorns, (book 1, Prince of Thorns) and finished that.

Ordered Wise Man's Fear and the ret of the Thorns books (and the new Folly book), and am reading Feist, Rides a Dread Legion.

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I enjoyed both the Rothfuss books (though I didn't care for Slow Regard of Needful Things, which is kind of a side-story novella).

I'm more than halfway through The Stand, and can understand why some people complain that it's too long. There are some excellent chapters... And some that just aren't. I think it would have been helped immensely if he'd written it as a trilogy rather than a single book (it's easily long enough for it).
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Rigel wrote:I'm more than halfway through The Stand, and can understand why some people complain that it's too long. There are some excellent chapters... And some that just aren't.
And then I hit a stretch of excellence that has lasted 150+ pages with no end in sight :D

I've seen books that take 50-100 pages, some as long as 150, to get going... Apparently this on just took 6-700 pages to really dig its claws into me :biggrin:

Post by Avatar »

One of my favourite SK books really. (I assume you're reading the unabridged version?) (There's a thread in the SK forum...)

Reading At The Gates of Darkness by Feist, sequel to the above. Once I've finished that, I will have read (and own) all the main Feist / Riftwar books, excepting only the stories he "co-wrote" with people.

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

White-Luck Warrior by R Scott Bakker. Figured it was time to read the Aspect Emperor Quadrilogy.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

Hit the Bakker thread and lemme know what you thought...I don't want to spoil anything or create expectations...

(Oh, I segued straight into the final Feist trilogy, just because it was easier and my new books won't arrive 'til the end of the month.)

So...A Kingdom Besieged...

--A

Post by Avatar »

And now book 2, A Crown Imperilled

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Finishing up my re-read of the Hitchhikers series, and I'm in Mostly Harmless.

I always thought this one wasn't as funny as the others, and on my re-read, I still think so. It's more... Depressing? Hopeless?
Sffasia
Stonedownor

Post by Sffasia »

Rigel wrote:Finishing up my re-read of the Hitchhikers series, and I'm in Mostly Harmless.

I always thought this one wasn't as funny as the others, and on my re-read, I still think so. It's more... Depressing? Hopeless?
Yeah, i bought this in the original hardcover right around the time it was published over 20? years ago and was just so happy to have a brand new hitch-hiker's story to read but the story, man. (The back story of the circumstances in Adams' life around that time kind of explain that whole book, though i only learned that i think long after Adams' death)

Since i had no one at that time to discuss sf with, i guess i just felt a kind of malaise from that book and didn't really reread it as much as the other four books in the few years that i had only 4.

i have since grown to appreciate the language and plot? of the final H2G2 book. i did a reread during 2020 but stalled out i think on So Long and Thanks For All The Fish, at least it seems like so to me now, many months later after the fact now.

Slightly back on topic, is Sherlock Holmes sff? or at least the 1st 2 books-i just completed A Sudy in Scarlet and The Sign of Four reading it online for the first time ever, (i hv watched Sherlock, Elementary and the Downey incarnations of the recent past entirely).

The books are interesting and so of their time, makes me want to devour the entire canon.
i love interesting mystery/thriller books/series like Grisham, Reichs/Bones and Child.

i forgot, before Holmes i read the latest Dresden File, Battle Ground. 2nd of a 2-pt arc i guess. I've been reading this series only relatively recently, from ard 2015 or so, i really cant remember when i started but right around then. but i dont recall all the ancillary details and easter eggs that butcher puts in, so i might miss out on call backs and stuff. Still highly enjoyed this and the previous instalment, after many long years of drought. why did i have to start reading right around the time when his books stopped coming out yearly/regularly and reached such an interesting sequence such that he took years to publish instalments.(i finished it in less than 12hrs becos i avoided other distractions on purpose[or rather becos my 24hr 4g data was running low before renewing itself, i could renew earlier but that's another different issue] to finish reading it, i think-iirc even tho it was only a few days ago)[/img]

Post by Avatar »

I wouldn't count Holmes as SFF myself.

Agree about "Mostly Harmless" though, felt like he was phoning it in or something.

Finished the final Rift War books with Magicians End, and then, Hooray, my book order was delivered yesterday, so I'm virtually spoilt for choice. :D

Was almost no contest though...False Value, latest Rivers of London book by Ben Aaronovitch, which as always, I highly recommend.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Well, finished False Value and the novella, The October Man.

On to King of Thorns which is book two in the "Broken Empire" series, not a series called "Crown of Thorns" as I'd previously thought.

--A

Post by Avatar »

And now, Emperor of Thorns. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

Right, finished that, turned out I hadn't read it afterall. Not a bad series, although perhaps a bit brutal for them as don't like their violence graphic. Very anti-heroish, medieval world which is actually post-apocalyptic, quite enjoyed.

Now I only have The Wise Man's Fear left which I shall finish with a vague disappointment that book 3 of the Kingkiller Chronicles is still not out.

--A
Sffasia
Stonedownor

Post by Sffasia »

Read "Battle Ground" by Jim Butcher in his Dresden Files series. After reading "Peace Talks", this came as a fitting 2nd of 2-parts after the somewhat cliffhanger ending 1st part.

Hoping it doesn't take years more till the next book/novel comes out. (Though i'll wait patiently just as i did after "Cold Days"/watever previous book came before "Peace Talks".)

Edit: oops, i forgot i've already posted this in this thread(i dont want to delete this post, so i'll leave it as a memento mori of my forgetfulness and hope/plead for it not to be deleted.)

Sorry.

2nd Edit: the thing about Mostly Harmless, as revealed later is that Adams was in a depression (iirc his impending/in process divorce) and possibly apocryphally [or true of a previous book] he had the manuscript snatched out of his typewriter/printer by the publusher/editor after being locked in hotel room to finished his long delayed 5th book in the HitchHiker's trilogy. Still i love this book so much though.

Post by Avatar »

Haha, doesn't even count as a double post, so no worries. A lot of our posts in some places here are just saying the same thing over and over... ;)

Me, I finished Wise Man's Fear but I have no idea what to read next. :(

--A
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

I adored every Jemisen book I read and I think I read them all
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Post by Avatar »

At a loss for what to read, I've decided to fall back on Pratchett's Night Watch as I often do at times like this.

--A
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Hey that sounds like a good idea imma start in
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Post by Avatar »

Such a good book. :D

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Avatar wrote:Me, I finished Wise Man's Fear but I have no idea what to read next. :(

--A
Go for Black Leopard, Red Wolf

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”