What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

For crying out loud, leap into the 90s and get an ebook! This one happens to be very inexpensive.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Don't have a device to read it on apart from my PC. :D

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

So read it on your pc.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Avatar wrote:I don't know what to read next.

--A
Well, that's exciting in its own way Av. I'm in the sort of opposite position of having a stack of books ready for the go....... and still don't know what to read next!

;)
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Went with a re-read of the Hunger Games books, but already nearly done...on the last book now.
Fist and Faith wrote:So read it on your pc.
I hate reading on my PC...only ever did it with WoT 11 and it really sucked. Now I have the paperback of it. :D

(Actually, I think Edge gave me the digital copy.)

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ah, Edge...

Annoying about no device. I read everything on my cell phone. Many things are very inexpensive, and delivery is instant. Some things not available in paper.

There's a free site associated with Amazon. You sign up for whatever genres you're interested in, and it emails you every day with books that are free or less than whatever price you give it. There's a million books coming out all the time that we never hear of. Slow readers like me have to be picky. But you could read a couple of free books every day, and still have 23 hours to spare.

It also notifies you when books you want go on sale. I've gotten notifications 2 years after I put that book on my list.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Starting a reread of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight / Pearl / Sir Orfeo, translated by J.R.R. Tolkien.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I cancelled my Amazon account but that still gives me access to hundreds of books I already paid for on my Kindle. Have been re-reading all the TC books for the last couple of months. I finally re-started Runes of the Earth.

My plan in the very near future is to buy a non-Amazon E- reader like Kobo. Until then I will just do re-reads. I wont run out anytime soon.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

( Reading on a PC does suck. Reading on a phone sucks almost as much. A Kindle (Paperwhite, not Fire) is a no-brainer investment that pays for itself very quickly, provides a great amount of pleasure, is easy to carry around (mine fits in my pocket), and doesn't even lock you into Amazon. )

I'm about to start the Scott Brick version of Mirror of Her Dreams. It seems a lot of reviewers have a problem with Scott, but I found him very enjoyable.

I just finished a two-year odyssey through the audio version of Stephenson's Baroque Cycle (including Cryptonomicon.) It was excellent, and the reader (Simon Prebble) had a good way with a variety of dialects.

Post by Avatar »

I can't do audio books. I would rather read on my PC than listen to somebody else read me a book. :D

(Oh, I was stuck after Hunger Games, so I defaulted to Pratchett. Read Witches Abroad, now I'm on to Lords and Ladies, Maskerade is next.)

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Avatar wrote:I can't do audio books.
It gets me through exercising on the treadmill or stationary bike, which is so boring that even music doesn't make the time go by. Now I also listen when I am running outdoors - which, as of last week, it is finally warm enough to do. I actually look forward to it every day. I get into the "book zone" and next thing I know, I am back at the car.

Other people listen while driving; I don't like that.

I don't know anyone who just sits in a chair to listen to a book.

The point I am making, I think, is that you need to think of using audio books in the context of certain kinds activities where it makes sense for you. I never imagined using them until I did.

Post by Avatar »

I mean, I see your point, but if I was doing something else, I wouldn't hear the book. :D

Also, when the urge strikes me to run, I sit down and read a book until it goes away. ;)

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

(The real problem is they take too long.)

Anyway, finished Maskerade, then Carpe Juggulum. Still at a loss, I have decided for some reason to throw myself once more at the cliff / pit that is Bakker's Prince of Nothing and subsequent books / series. :D

(Any word on a 3rd series? Clearly the story arc demands it...)

--A

Post by Avatar »

Well, read Prince of Nothing, Warrior Prophet, and The Thousandfold Thought. Busy on The Judging Eye now, one my least favourite of the books.

--A
inkinen
Stonedownor

Post by inkinen »

Currently reading The Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski. After I have read all the books in the series I’m gonna go back to The Last Chronicles since I never finished them. I just installed the librarything app and added all my books 😊

Post by Avatar »

Well now that has to be some kinda record. :D 2 posts in 19 years. :D Makes Brin and the other Slow Posters look positively prolific. :D

Nice to see you around Inkinen. :D

I'm busy on "The White Luck Warrior" but been playing games instead of reading the last week or two. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

The Great Ordeal.

This is kinda the point where the series starts losing it...getting either incoherent or impenetrable. Sadly, it's mostly downhill from here.

Still, a 3rd series may well save the story...after some quick searching, it seems that there is still no word of a 3rd series...potentially partly due to publisher issues similar to SRD according to some claims...

That sucks.

What's with all the damn incomplete series these days?

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I never got around to that one. Bakker started to really come across as an asshole the more I saw of him outside the books, and they were kind of miserable to begin with even when they were good, so I stopped paying him any attention.

-

Recently I finished reading A Gathering of Shadows by VE Schwab, read Head On by John Scalzi, and I'm halfway through The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

I have begun reading Death's End by Cixin Liu, having just finished The Dark Forest and recently read The Three Body Problem.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”