Which Star Trek should I watch?

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Which Star Trek should I watch?

Post by Rigel »

I recently signed up for Paramount+ to watch the NWSL games, and they've got a bunch of Trek on there. Since I haven't watched any Trek regularly since TNG (when it aired), and I've been in a Sci-Fi mood lately, what should I start with?

(Oh, I *did* watch Lower Decks or whatever, which started good but then fell off towards the end; still, I'm in the mood for more serious sci-fi)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I've only seen the Voyager and Deep Space Nine. Both of which I highly recommend. I didn't care for Voyager so much when it was originally out, but then watching reruns late at night for a while I really came to enjoy it.

I don't like Enterprise, because way too much time travel. Even had a prime directive for time travel oh, for crying out loud.

I haven't seen anything after that.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Save yourself the trouble and don't watch any of them. I was completely done with all Star Trek anything at least 10 years ago and will never give it a second chance.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Discovery is great if you don't know anything at all about Star Trek and never want to know.
Or if you do know a little and don't like it.
Or if you like Trek and want something so different that the only thing in common with Trek is one or two character names.
Or if you have an interest in seeing everything about Trek totally shit on, pissed on and put into a blender.

I wasn't a fan of Deep Space 9 because I found it too political and the Ferngies kind of gross me out a little. :D

TNG and Voyager were really good.

Enterprise should have been absolutely awesome but it looks like, to me anyway, that the writers never saw any previous Trek shows so it's all dumb as fuck.

Picard is also dumb as fuck.

Why do I watch this stuff anyway????
Because I love the god damn Original Series!!!!
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:.
Or if you have an interest in seeing everything about Trek totally shit on, pissed on and put into a blender.

Because I love the god damn Original Series!!!!
Impossible for me to agree more.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Wow, that's... a lot more bummer than I expected lol

I heard Anna Kendrick is in a good sci-fi movie, maybe I'll look that up instead.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I enjoyed Picard and the first two seasons of Discovery.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Sorry I missed jumping in here. I also enjoyed Picard and Discovery. The second season being my favorite although the last 6 episodes in Season 1 are outstanding as well. I highly recommend you watch and make up your mind for yourself.

Many Trekies prefer a less dark, more episodic Trek.

Looking forward to the next series in Trek being "Brave New Worlds" which will be episodic Trek again, that is filming even now.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

OG Star Trek

And

Lost in Space
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I can't watch the original anymore. :D

Apart from TNG, DS-9 is my favourite. Most developed and complex story arc.

(I couldn't get into it, then I watched the 3-part "Homecoming" episode and was hooked.)

--A
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I have never seen so many people crapping on Star Trek. I've never been a Star Trek fan myself. I watch the Next Generation for a while because of a friend of my wife's at the time roped me in for a bit, but I got over how laughably bad some of the episodes were, and then just got over it and haven't really watched an episode again.

However, I have watched some of the movies, and enjoyed them. And the occasionally episode is pretty good. I tried watching Picard and found it interesting, but never finished it.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

There are a number of different flavors of Star Trek.

Roddenberry Trek

TOS
TNG

Berman Trek

DS9
VOY
ENT

Abrams Trek

ST
STID
STB

Fuller/Kurtzman Trek

STD
PICARD
Lower Decks
STSNW

The continuity of Roddenberry Trek was followed closely by Berman until DS9 began diverging from the Roddenberry vision and Enterprise began retconning events from TOS.

Abrams Trek was an alternate universe reboot and did not need to adhere to established canon.

Fuller / Kurtzman Trek is the most anti Roddenberry in it's vision and has adopted its own approach. What wrangles most fans of Roddenberry Trek is that F/K uses familiar characters and events from canon and fundamentaly alters them to conform to a contemporary culture dynamic. Modern speculative sci Fi tends to paint a bleak future and F/K embraces this view in order to update Trek to appeal to a broader audience.
A good Donaldson example would be if a modern author re wrote Lord Foul's Bane with say Linden Avery as the protagonist instead of Thomas Covenant. Linden is a drug addled sociopath that straight up murders Lena upon meeting her. Then slits Trell and Atiaran's throats in their sleep and escapes only to be befriended by a Raver who helps her enter Revelstone where she manipulates and murders the Council of Lords eliminating Lord Foul's enemies. Then she gives Lord Foul her ring with the promise that she will be given as many children as possible to murder. Satisfying her base urges into infinity. The End

The F/K approach is fairly disrespectful to Roddenberry but has proven to be very popular with Trek fans that expect the future to be filled with violence, bigotry and a quick and bloody end to human civilization from war, global warming and faction politics.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

aTOMiC wrote: A good Donaldson example would be if a modern author re wrote Lord Foul's Bane with say Linden Avery as the protagonist instead of Thomas Covenant. Linden is a drug addled sociopath that straight up murders Lena upon meeting her. Then slits Trell and Atiaran's throats in their sleep and escapes only to be befriended by a Raver who helps her enter Revelstone where she manipulates and murders the Council of Lords eliminating Lord Foul's enemies. Then she gives Lord Foul her ring with the promise that she will be given as many children as possible to murder. Satisfying her base urges into infinity. The End

https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

And THOOLAH rears its ugly head once again ;)
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I was thinking of watching Picard.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “TV Shows”