The Mordant's Need Trivia Game (Spoilers!!!)

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Ah, you're getting close now, Avatar! And what kind of mammal is a squirrel?
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Well since Avatar seems to have disappeared I am going to throw another guess out there.

A Weasel?
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Thank you for your guess, Sam, but Gilbur didn't call Quillon a weasel.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Hmmm well I could guess all day... Avatar you got another guess or Irrational Sanity or anyone?

In the meantime just because I will guess a rat?
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

You're VERY close now, Sam! Hint: a rat (and also a squirrel, for that matter) is WHAT KIND of mammal?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sorry, was away. :D I shall leap on the proffered answer, not unlike a rodent onto something upon which rodents leap... ;)

(That said, wouldn't "animal" imply a specific species rather than a taxonomic order? ;) )

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

"Rodent" is the correct answer, Avatar! Good job! As for whether a rodent is an animal, as a wildlife biologist I say, "yes", because Rodentia is an order within the class Mammalia, which is within the phylum Chordata (vertebrates), that is within the kingdom Animalia.

As an aside, I wish to say that I've found the murder of Quillon, a caring soul under all his irritability, at the hands of a brute like Gilbur to be one of the saddest and most shocking passages in Mordant's Need. But I assume that I was meant to be saddened and shocked by reading that part.
"You must go first!" Urgency made Quillon's rabbit face slightly ludicrous. "First is safest. Any man will need a moment to react when he sees us.

"Go."

He shoved her, and she went.

Two stumping steps toward the main corridor; three; four. For some reason, the strength had gone out of her legs. She felt like a woman in a nightmare, frantic to run, but powerless to do anything except ache with fright while her enemies rushed toward her.

Master Quillon caught up with her and shoved her again to keep her going.

For the second time, she felt a touch of cold as thin as a feather and as sharp as steel slide straight through the center of her abdomen.

Running now, but hardly aware of it, hardly conscious of what she was doing at all, she reached the main passage and theight and turned, whirled around in time to see Master Quillon following her and a black shape with a face full of hate and glee rising behind him, clutching a long dagger to strike him down.

No, Quillon! Quillon!

The shape rose and swept after him while she tried to cry out a warning and couldn't do it fast enough: black arms rose and then plunged down viciously, driving the dagger into the joining of his shoulders with such fury that blood burst from his mouth and the blade came through his chest and he was crushed to the floor as if he had been hit with a sledgehammer.

"Got you, you insipid rodent!" Master Gilbur barked in guttural triumph. "That is the last time you will interfere with anything we wish to do!"

When he wrenched the blade out of Quillon's back, blood ran from his hands likecwater.

Oh, Quillon!
...And on that cheerful note, it's your Mordant's Need Trivia question now, Avatar. ;)
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Avatar »

Hmmph, sounds like sophistry to me Mr. Wildlife Biologist. ;) There are multiple animals within the order Rodentia... :D

Right then...

Which Lord did Nyle agree to approach on behalf of Kragen and the Alend Monarch?

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Hmmph, sounds like sophistry to me Mr. Wildlife Biologist. ;) There are multiple animals within the order Rodentia... :D

Right then...

Which Lord did Nyle agree to approach on behalf of Kragen and the Alend Monarch?

--A
I think I know the answer to this one, but I hope you'll pardon me if I wait a week to see if someone else knows it, too. ;)
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Well I for one will let you take it Cord Hurn because I have no clue
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Very well, Sam.

The Lord that Nyle agreed to approach on behalf of Kragen and the Alend Monarch was the Perdon. (I hinted at that answer by using the similar-sounding word "pardon" in my post, above.)

Post by Avatar »

LOL, got it in one. Clearly an easier question than I thought. :D

Your turn CH. :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Thanks, Av!

I'll be back with another MN trivia question, shortly (meaning later today, by my time zone).
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

The Mordant's Need Trivia Game (Spoilers!!!)

Post by Cord Hurn »

Another question about one of the Lords in Mordant's Need...

Which Lord made sure to assign Argus and Ribuld to Geraden, so that Castellan Lebbick couldn't object to their working with Geraden? :confused:

Post by Avatar »

Wild guess...the Tor?

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Wild guess...the Tor?

--A
"The Tor" is the correct answer. Congratulations, Avatar, it's your question! :bwave:
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I really need to re-read so I can contribute to this :D It's only Av, IS and me at the moment in the Gap forum.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Feel free to join us here StevieG

OK everyone sitting??

I have never read the Gap books yet.

Yes call your bosses to schedule emergency day off :D
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

samrw3 wrote:Feel free to join us here StevieG

OK everyone sitting??

I have never read the Gap books yet.

Yes call your bosses to schedule emergency day off :D
The Gap series is more like Covenant in that it is fairly dark and heavy - no romantic comedy here. It is also a true ensemble story, though there are a couple key players who the story is "about" and aren't at least gray morally (though they are deeply flawed in other ways, as is the Donaldson way).

It has an interesting plot mechanic of titling each chapter with the POV character for that chapter, and being "limited Omniscient" with that character only for the duration of the chapter.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Good summary IS. There are a few here who haven't read the Gap, or couldn't get past the first book. I can understand it, but I find it interesting that Covenant-lovers can't get past difficult scenes :D

It has always been my favourite SRD series - although the Great Gods War is shaping up to be right up there too. That's not to diminish Covenant 1, 2 and 3 or Mordant's Need, all of which I loved.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen

Return to “Mordant's Need”