Bakker's The Prince of Nothing series

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

So, I'm re-reading all these, and I had a thought:
Spoiler
Are we just seeing the First Apocalypse playing out all over again?

In the FA, Anasurimbor Celmomas (or whatever) was killed just before the No-God was manifested or reborn or whatever, right? And then Seswatha teamed up with his son to find the Heron Spear and the son used it to take out Mog-Pharu.

So now Anasurimbor Kelhus has been killed, just before the No-God manifests or is re-born.

So, is the next series going to be Akka playing Seswatha to one of Kelhus' children (I'll guess which one after I finish the 2nd series) while they hunt down the (again) lost Heron Spear and try and take down the No-God?

Seems to make sense. And maybe it will turn out that Akka is actually the real main character after all.

Thoughts?
--A

Post by Avatar »

So, something I don't think I picked up on before...

In TJE, (Or TWLW) the skin-spy reports to his synthese handler that Mimara is pregnant, and the handler agrees with its assessment that this means she must not be killed, due to some sort of prophecy.

It also says "all prophecies must be respected, even those which are false."

The Consult has (or knows of) a prophecy involving Mimara's pregnancy or child?

--A

Bakker's The Prince of Nothing series

Post by Avatar »

Wow, has it really been nearly 5 years since I read these?

Ok, this is the 3rd time I've read The Unholy Consult now, and I actually like it better each time.

I think the structural issues of the book really impacted my ability to understand what the hell was going on, but each time I am able to pay attention to different parts.

This is the first time I really grasped that it was the sacrifice of Celmomas' (other?) son to the "carapace" that raised the No-God, and it was the sacrifice of Kelhus' youngest to the carapace that resurrected it.

I still think Akka is going to play Seswatha. (If more books ever get written which is both uncertain and possible increasingly unlikely, unfortunately.) This looks like another series that will have to be counted "unfinished."

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”