Opening KW files offline.

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Hey guys,

Can anybody help with this little quandary.

You may have noticed that I post quite a lot of stuff in the 'What do you think today' thread, and in fact it's a pretty comprehensive record of most of what is important that goes on in the UK on a daily basis, and what I'm thinking about it, stretching back over many years. It constitutes a record of opinion, not just my own, but of a 'view from the streets' as it were, that frankly, you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere else.

It isn't important in any way, other than to me, but as such I decided I'd like to get it onto hard copy (ie printed out), and also to safeguard it against (heaven forbid) the Watch ceasing to be accessible.

In pursuit of this I decided a good first step would be to download the 240 or so pages, onto my machine (an android tablet), for viewing offline - stored for personal posterity, you might say. I've gone a ways towards this - the storage capacity of my tablet seems more than capable of holding this amount of material - but unfortunately when I try to view the pages, my machine tells me that it cannot open files of this type and offers me a search button to download an app capable of doing so. I downloaded Adobe reader, but to no avail, and now wonder if there is an app capable of opening such files?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Peter.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

LOL, ok, how are you downloading them? (What process are you following?)

What format is the downloaded file in?

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: You've assuming a level of understanding that is alas, far beyond my knowledge or understanding Av, but I'll tell you what I can. There's a little horizontal bar above most of the pages I access (if not all of them). On this bar, which has 'kevinswatch.com/phpBB3/etc, etc, etc', on it, to the left of this is a star symbol and a downward pointing arrow (I suppose you'd call it) with a line under it. I tap this arrow and a message comes up telling me that the page is downloading. When it has completed, it tells me so, and the same downward pointing arrow and line appears at the top left of my tablet screen.

This will, if I tap it, open the page, but will tell me it's offline (hang on - just let me check this..) Yep, at this point I can open the offline picture of the page I've downloaded.

But clearly I can't have hundreds of ticks on my top left hand display (where the time and date etc is), so I sweep them away to clear them off the table-top (if this is the correct term).

Now in order to find those downloaded files, I have to go into the files icon on the table-top proper (as opposed to that stuff just sitting waiting as it were, in the top left hand corner) and there, amongst other items, is a section termed 'downloads' I touch this and sure enough, all of the downloaded pages appear in a list, individually titled by our (ie the Watch) page number. They are titled "What do you think today - page 130" (or whatever), and I presumably should be able to open any given page by tapping on it. But when I do so, a message appears saying that the file cannot be opened by any of the apps I have, and offering me the option of searching for one that will do so on the apps store. I touch the search button and a shit-ton of apps appear of which I have no clue what most of them are. I downloaded Adobe acrobat in the hope it would work the oracle, but no joy.

That's about it Av. In terms of the format, no idea. Perhaps you'd have an idea as to how I'd find out?

Anyways - thanks for your help. I don't want to have to copy the whole damn lot out by hand, but hell, if I have to then so be it. It would need editing into a presentable form anyway so hey, needs must!

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

LOL, ok, I'm not a tablet user. :D What we need to do is establish the file type of the page you've downloaded. I found this:
Select the file with a long tap and choose the Properties (i) icon or tap the Actions (:) icon at the end of the line and choose Properties from the context menu. The general properties and the custom properties are displayed as tabs on the same screen.
Once you can see the properties, look for "file type: xxxxxx" or look for a file extension (.xxxx) (for example. filename.html or .jpg or whatever).

Once we know what the file type is, we can figure out what will open it.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Hey Av!

I seem to have managed it.

I've downloaded an app called File Viewer that seems to work. Oddly it can't seem to be recognised from my 'downloads' page (ie on my machine 'My Files' icon), but when I open the app itself, the pages are there (except for the first four pages of the thread, which is somewhat puzzling because they're definitely there in the downloads page) and visible on tapping on them.

It's a pretty good result, insofar as the early pages are less important to me - I'm really interested in Brexit onwards, which seems to me to be the point at which things started to go belly-up in this country. If there is something of a limit to the apps capacity or something, then I can trim out the less relevant stuff.

Many thanks for your assistance my friend. Reliable (and patient) as always!

;)

Regards,

Peter.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Well, i don't feel I deserve any credit for this one, so I'm glad you came right. :D

--A

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”