First read: Gardens of the Moon: Book One of The Malazan

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I bet you guys are just pretending to miss some of it!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Spoiler
The T'lan Imass with the Adjunct - Onos T'oolan, aka Tool - is present day. Walking skeleton/undead who has been around for 300,000 years. Pran Chole is from 300,000 ago, and not undead.

Love Kruppe's dreams.

“Perhaps,” the Rhivi said, frowning. “Her flesh is an abomination. You have been warned.”

Kruppe nodded affably, then looked around. “Will any direction do?”

Pran Chole laughed.

“I suggest south,” the Rhivi said.[/spoiler :oops: ]

Avatar wrote: Wait 'til it starts happening with whole books. :D
Right??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

One of the things I missed until now is one of the historical/poetic preludes that comes before the meat of a chapter...I don't remember which one, but it's EARLY (like I know SB is past it because he's already touching on events I haven't caught up to yet). It specifically relates to some scholar writing about the Genabackan campaigns, I think probably after the events of the books.
Spoiler
The precursor to one of the chapters describes Malazan alliance with the Moranth as reshaping Malazan sappers in a way that would be very efficacious in the short term. It doesn't explicitly say so, but I don't think it's the quorls, it is of course Moranth munitions. Moranth munitions are disastrous for malazan foes (and occasionally malazans) many times throughout the books, but it may be that in a wider historical context that we most likely aren't going to see, they don't make much of a difference for the Malazans after a brief time. It might be because of the events of Orb Scepter Throne, I'm not sure. I'm still rereading that one...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, that's the very beginning of chapter 1.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Ha! Found you at last! :lol:

Yes - one hell of a start to a series.

It's unforgiving and pitches you in like a mewling babe into the fray.

The book is like a jigsaw, thrown up into the air with all the pieces flying at random - which then upon landing, suddenly fall into the completed whole. A very clever literary trick that could only be pulled off by a writer of superlative skill. I will confess to feeling somewhat adrift as I read it, but the individual set pieces (if you can call them that) were sufficiently engaging for me to just run with them as they came, and utilising the extensive DramatisPersonae and end-notes helped very much.

I love the little bits at the start of each chapter too. Seeing the way they fit into what is coming.

Great stuff!

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

That's what I'm talkin' about! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I was actually wondering last night how much of those quotes get read...I tend to skip them quite a bit, but I do skim them to see if I can spot anything particularly relevant, which I often do. Sometimes however it won't be relevant for a long time...so long that one would have forgotten that foreshadowing by then. Strange choice of technique, but also world-building pretty good. :D

(I've just hit Dharujistan and Baruk spilling the ink. :D )

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Hard to believe just how much is going on just 60% into the first book... people/things that live hundreds of thousands of years, prophesies, Elder Gods, Mages, souls passing from one body to the next/ or puppet as you will, possession, wars, campaigns, powerful beings utilizing others as pawns....pieces are moving on the board while others.. who knows if they will be knocked off or not, or when...... Frigging awesome.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

That's a damned good description of it.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

Avatar wrote: I was actually wondering last night how much of those quotes get read...
And damn if I didn't just hit one of the best, which I quote since SB has obviously already read it, being ahead of me. :D
Kallor said: I have walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn.
The Great Raven's thoughts at the conclusion of the preceding chapter as she flies over the Revi Plain are appropriate for the entire series:
If ever there was a dire convergence of great forces, it was now and in this place. The gods were descending on the mortal soil to do battle, shapings were being forged of flesh and bone, and the blood of sorcery now boiled with a madness born of inevitable momentum.
--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Another indicator of Ericsson's mastery of his art is the way he has managed to change tack, but retain the same 'feel' between Gardens and the second book, Deadhouse Gates.

Somewhere else you guys said that the author was capable of maintaining the quality of the first offering, and boy did Gates live up to it!

I'm eagerly awaiting getting hold of a copy of the third book, but unfortunately my library has no copies. Given the high cost of new books, and the copious nature of second hand retail outlets, it looks like I'm in for a period of shelf trawling. Yes, I could do it via ebay, but there's something flat in the process compared to that buzz you get of finding a gem you have been searching for on the shelves. I remember as a young man, collecting an out of print series that, without the benefit of the internet, took me years to gather from random flea markets and charity shops. Luckily the books were standalone - it was the Armada Billy Bunter books, which I always found beautifully written, funny and uplifting. Hundreds of hours of searching later, I finally found the final book to complete the 7 book series and the sensation of achievement would be hard to set down in words. Yet another simple joy somewhat lost in the modern age.

;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

peter wrote: Another indicator of Ericsson's mastery of his art is the way he has managed to change tack, but retain the same 'feel' between Gardens and the second book, Deadhouse Gates.
Book 5 is the ultimate examples of this. Entirety different characters and setting. But it's deservedly the favorite of the series for many readers.
peter wrote:Somewhere else you guys said that the author was capable of maintaining the quality of the first offering, and boy did Gates live up to it!

I'm eagerly awaiting getting hold of a copy of the third book
Every time I read DG, I think it's the best book ever written. Then I read MoI, and decide DG is the second best book ever written.
peter wrote:but unfortunately my library has no copies. Given the high cost of new books, and the copious nature of second hand retail outlets, it looks like I'm in for a period of shelf trawling. Yes, I could do it via ebay, but there's something flat in the process compared to that buzz you get of finding a gem you have been searching for on the shelves. I remember as a young man, collecting an out of print series that, without the benefit of the internet, took me years to gather from random flea markets and charity shops. Luckily the books were standalone - it was the Armada Billy Bunter books, which I always found beautifully written, funny and uplifting. Hundreds of hours of searching later, I finally found the final book to complete the 7 book series and the sensation of achievement would be hard to set down in words. Yet another simple joy somewhat lost in the modern age.

;)
I know what you mean. Still, I wouldn't let that slow down the reading! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Avatar wrote: I was actually wondering last night how much of those quotes get read...I tend to skip them quite a bit, but I do skim them to see if I can spot anything particularly relevant, which I often do. Sometimes however it won't be relevant for a long time...so long that one would have forgotten that foreshadowing by then. Strange choice of technique, but also world-building pretty good. :D

(I've just hit Dharujistan and Baruk spilling the ink. :D )

--A
Personally I always read them. But, the ones that are a little more poetic, sometimes I just don't get that much. Shamed to admit it but it's true.

I love the one which (ok it's not that original but) is like
Spoiler
"we're at this guy's funeral, mourning him, but actually we're just dreams in his head, he's passed out drunk on a street somewhere."

I think it's from Midnight Tides or Reaper's Gale. Not big spoilers IMO.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Ok about 75% with book 1... shit is happening. Timelines are converging. Will post more cogent thoughts on Monday.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Enjoy!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote: I remember as a young man, collecting an out of print series that, without the benefit of the internet, took me years to gather from random flea markets and charity shops.
Haha, I have one of those. :D (Adrian Cole, Omaran Saga).
Fist and Faith wrote: Book 5 is the ultimate examples of this. Entirety different characters and setting. But it's deservedly the favorite of the series for many readers.
Meh. Book 5 & 7 are among my least favourite, only Tehol & co redeem them for me. :D
Fist and Faith wrote: Every time I read DG, I think it's the best book ever written. Then I read MoI, and decide DG is the second best book ever written.
^ THIS ^

Anyway, I've finished GoTM and starting DHG. (I assume SB will create a separate thread for it?)

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

That last 25% of the book was non stop action... it was hard to keep up... geez what a ride!! I will add more tomorrow. Off to create a new thread.

OK so a few thoughts. Man.. it all came together so fast... Assassins going at each other, mages going at each other, Gods going at each other. Just madness.
Spoiler
So Kruppe is the Eel... once they said it out loud it made sense. The Adjunct took a big chance that did NOT pay off. Releasing the Jaghut Tyrant was a HUGE mistake and one that might have cost them everything even if it did take out Rake and enable the taking of Darujhistan. Quick Ben has 7 Warrens.... holy cow. So.... is Rake a shapeshifter or actually a dragon that appears as a Tiste Andii? The book was not clear. Sorry was being possessed by the god of assassins but also has someone else in her that got there in the first pages of the book. Tattersail will be back and still has a think for Paran. Seems the Bridgeburners didnt like being marked for killing, so they are changing sides? Is that was I am getting?
I may go back and reread the last few chapters just to get it all back in my head correctly. I should have made this post right after reading because I seem to have lost some details overnight LOL
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

SoulBiter wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:55 pm That last 25% of the book was non stop action... it was hard to keep up... geez what a ride!! I will add more tomorrow. Off to create a new thread.

OK so a few thoughts. Man.. it all came together so fast... Assassins going at each other, mages going at each other, Gods going at each other. Just madness.
Spoiler
So Kruppe is the Eel... once they said it out loud it made sense. The Adjunct took a big chance that did NOT pay off. Releasing the Jaghut Tyrant was a HUGE mistake and one that might have cost them everything even if it did take out Rake and enable the taking of Darujhistan. Quick Ben has 7 Warrens.... holy cow. So.... is Rake a shapeshifter or actually a dragon that appears as a Tiste Andii? The book was not clear. Sorry was being possessed by the god of assassins but also has someone else in her that got there in the first pages of the book. Tattersail will be back and still has a think for Paran. Seems the Bridgeburners didnt like being marked for killing, so they are changing sides? Is that was I am getting?
I may go back and reread the last few chapters just to get it all back in my head correctly. I should have made this post right after reading because I seem to have lost some details overnight LOL
Regarding your spoiler questions...
Spoiler
I'm pretty sure you'll find out some of the details of Rake's shapeshifting in book 3. To some extent, I don't think the mystery has been fully disclosed yet, though the Kharkhanas Trilogy is a far back prequel trilogy that gives some details on the Tiste. I don't think it's spoilers to tell you that the witch who possessed Sorry is now gone altogether. I know about as best as I can know that that is revealed in book 1, I feel almost completely confident the wax witch isn't dealt with again in books going forward, and I think there's a small line about her departing in GotM. I'll let you see what happens to the bridgeburners in the remaining books since GotM is not the end for them.
One thing regarding the Adjunct: (end of book spoilers)
Spoiler
She's one of the examples of the certain amount of parallelisms I think Erikson likes to forge in the books. Tattersail's village was lost as a child, then Tattersail helped destroy the Mouse quarter of mages. Then Lorn tried to get her punished for it since Lorn lost her family there. And then, Lorn goes to Darujhistan and tries to get that to submit to the empire through violence. I actually think Erikson should've made Lorn contract with Vorcan, because then she would've been more directly involved in the attempt to get rid of Darujhistan's most powerful mages, mirroring her own loss of the Mouse quarter, where there were a variety of talents. Also, Paran was a little clueless of what was going on in the prologue of the book, when the mouse quarter was being destroyed (it's implied he thought the scent of humans was the scent of pigs), which was ultimately a tragedy for Lorn, and then he was the one to lay Lorn to rest after the botched attempt to reduce Darujhistan's various assets. I might not be expressing this that well, but I think I'm hinting at threads that tied together. FYI, I don't think they ever mull on Lorn in later books, but if it turns out I'm wrong, please lemme know.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Regarding Rake. I don't think it's a spoiler. More like nice to not be confused. Still, I'll spoiler.
Spoiler
He is Soletaken. A Tiste Andii who veers into a dragon. Elient.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Thanks! I am actually going to read a few chapters over ...well not right now..... and will probably repost here. Feel free to add anything you think is pertinent.

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”