First read: Deadhouse Gates. Book 2

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Fist and Faith wrote: He's hard to describe is what he is.
He's
Spoiler
the Magi of High House Shadow
is what he is. :D
SoulBiter wrote: ...and kicks their ass with a wooden sword
That was the other one, the big one...Leoman has the flails.

(Ok, I'm approaching the end of MOI, (I don't usually skim much, but there are parts I find boring after so many re-reads. :D I definitely will skim the first few hundred pages of HoC. Well, a lot of them anyway... :D ) but I will find another thread to post some spoilerish thoughts in.)

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Fist and Faith wrote: He's hard to describe is what he is.
He's
Spoiler
the Magi of High House Shadow
is what he is. :D
But that doesn't describe him.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

36% - Things are moving right along. Felisin, Heboric, and Baudin have left made their way across the desert. Its obvious that Beneth has not just gotten into Felisins pants but also into her head. Just as they are escaping she tells Baudin that Beneth is alive and to try to rescue him. He agrees and goes back. Later he shows up and tells her that Beneth is dead. She really doesnt believe him but what is she going to do. They end up near the water and get attacked by bugs. She gets mauled by these things which will leave her pocked... if she would only have followed instructions... sigh. They continue across the desert until they are running out of water. She is really becoming a beatch and goes at Baudin telling her he would be scaredof Beneth and he tells her that he killed him rather than save him and that he only wished he could have made that killing take longer. Eventually Heboric falls out and is dying. In a "hail Mary" .. well whatever God he is escaped from, Baudin does something to link certain things on the tatoos on Heborics stump which brings his God there, the God takes all the water (that was spoiled by the bugs) and heals him somewhat...so much so that he now feels the missing hands again. Also his tatoos are getting darker... they end up finally on a beach and are saved by Kulp and his companions that have just barely escaped the town they were in and they are being chased by a mage. They all get in the boat and are attacked and somehow Heborics warren seems to be interferring somewhat with Kulps. They get attacked but find a long abandoned ship (Silanda) of a race that was related to the Tiste Andii....but gray instead of black...they are Tiste Edur....The Tisti Andii didnt like them and historically killed them on sight. But some magic is at work,.they are beheaded but the blood is still wet, yet they should be rotten... Truth blows a whistle they found and the bodies start rowing..... holy hell.

Back to Fiddler, Apsolar, and Crokus who are trying to get across the desert as well and runs into a windstorm (whirlwind?). In the swirl are things trying to kill them. D'ivers... soultaken. Eventually their horses die, and Fiddler goes down with broken ribs and a broken ankle. They are saved by none other than Mappo and Icarium... more on that later...

Duiker (the historian) is traveling and almost gets conscripted. But spins this tale about finding his nephew..... he does go with them but breaks off when he finds the remains of a current battle, then he tells them he must search the bodies for his nephew and will join them later. They go on to meet up with the other army and later Duiker sees a battle goes on, and the other army got surrounded and routed. Good that he wasnt there or he would be dead.

Mappo and Icarium found the broom and a boat that shouldnt be there.. Its what Pust wanted them to find. They decide its not his boat but the servant. They come back to Pust who does the tarrot cards and gets snarky with them. Icarium beats the crap out of Pust because he wont speak plainly. He tells them they have to go on a quest into the holy desert to find Sha'ik. They conclude there must be a resurrection. So off they go only to run into Fiddler and team. Icarium warns off the D'ivers by name... Gryllen. Apparently his warning carries weight and they go off. They end up in a temple. Fiddler is in no shape to refuse and he wakes up somewhat healed by none other than Pust. They have a discussion of sorts.. Fiddler is concerned that since Pust is if the Shadowcult that somehow Cotillion will try to repossess Apsolar. He lets them know that its not going to happen, but also seems shocked they would be trying to get her back to original home. They talk about Tremorlor. Apparently the sand can wash away during wind storms revealing a path to houses that are all linked via gates. he talks about Quick Ben and Pust is interested because of his knowledge.

Well back to reading
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

"Icarium warns off the D'ivers by name... Gryllen. Apparently his warning carries weight and they go off."

Yeah, best to do what Icarium says.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

50% - Man things are heating up. The Historian is all over the place making witness to war. When I say war... I don't mean a battle.... I mean many battles... mages, old magic, the undead, Its madness.. which I guess war is anyway.
Felisin, Heboric, and Baudin - were stuck on this boat of the damned and have now found their way out. We find that Baudin is a Talon. Interesting history there. Felisin is not just a beatch at this point, she got mind screwed by Beneth and she still thinks he loved her. She wants revenge for that.. wow.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Felesin is a very sad story. Many readers don't like her, thinking she's a nasty little thing. I can't imagine how they expect someone her age who's gone through what she's gone through to be Mary Sunshine.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Fist and Faith wrote: Felesin is a very sad story. Many readers don't like her, thinking she's a nasty little thing. I can't imagine how they expect someone her age who's gone through what she's gone through to be Mary Sunshine.
When I was on reddit somewhat recently it seemed like opinion on her had mellowed out a lot there and ppl found her more compelling, but ppl were commenting that that seemed like a recent development or something.

Post by Avatar »

Reinforcing my opinion that every one of these books is actually damn depressing, her story is a tragic one indeed...

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Depressing?!? That's crazy talk!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

Please...the Kharkanas books were so depressing he couldn't even bring himself to start writing the last one. :D

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I know! Good God that's horrible stuff!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”