What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I finished Gardens of the Moon, and maintain my opinion expressed above in this thread. A good, not great fantasy.

Now I'm reading the incredibly versatile Dan Simmons' latest noir thriller, Hard as Nails. Is there anyone out there who can switch gears so successfully as this guy does?

The Joe Kurtz novels are down and dirty crime stories, similar to Richard Stark's Parker novels. Kurtz is on the wrong side of the law, but has the odds so stacked against him, that you root for the mean dude anyway.

So very different from Simmons' horror and sf novels, and yet he writes all these genres well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Simmons tackle the epic fantasy genre someday, just to prove he can do that one, too. :P
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

Been on a Christopher Stasheff kick. I really love his writing - humourous, insightful sociopolitical commentary and great storytelling. Read the 'Sorceror' series, the 'Wizard' series and the first three of the 'Warlock's Heirs' series. (Wish I could get my hands on the others.) Now re-reading SRD's short-story collection, 'Daughter Of Regals.

Oh, and there are two reasons why I get through so much reading material: firstly, because I read really fast, & secondly because I'm single. ;)
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Anyone remember these? Busy on the Last Legionary quartet by Douglas Hill. Enjoying them as much as I ever did before.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

THE SECRET OF SHABAZ, a young adult fantasy with elves and unicorns and a magical princess in disguise. Author Jennifer Macaire writes partly for her own kids. I'm reading it because she asked me to, but it is really quite sweet. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any mothers (or fathers) here.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Just finished To Green Angel Tower, Part One-- :yeehaa: ---off to Part Two! Lots of interesting stuff happening, but if I told you anything I'd be spoiling. Everything set up for a very intense conclusion...
fall far and well Pilots!
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I just finished Stone of Farewell, but have to take a break for a little bit--Green Angel Tower is going to be my present for living through the next very busy week at work. Hopefully I'll be able to get all 1600 pages done before October 21st!

I think Williams' endings are the best--his pacing gets really tight and exciting, and all of a sudden things start really happening. I think some of it could have done with a little pruning though. Do I really need three pages describing Eolair's thought processes as he decides whether to ride past a city we never ends up reading about and whether he should stop at Nad Mallach or not? NO!

But I really like the Sithi. And Ingen Jegger is a very awesome villain. I'm a sucker for Demon Huntsmen, and his too-pale eyes and being a "Black Rimmersman" just give me the most delicious creepy-crawlies.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Jeggen is cool--just wait till you meet the "Talons"! I agree about the pruning, like I said before, I'm usually a slow reader but the more I force myself to go fast (especially over parts like that) the more I enjoy Williams.

Yes the conclusion to City of Golden Shadow, Otherland series was killer! Maybe I'll try to finish River of Blue Fire after Runes, who knows?
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Avatar »

Reading The Real Story, book 1 of the Gap series again.
--A

Post by Avatar »

Mission Earth Vol 1 The Invaders Plan
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

"Overstars Mail: Imperial Challenge" by Roberta Gellis. Can't comment yet, because I just picked it up.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I've been stuck on the ship a lot lately, so I picked up Rice's Blood and Gold from the ship's library. Good if you like Rice and want more, kind of worthless if you don't.

And since I was going to be stuck on the ship for nearly a week, I made a trip to the library. Picked up Mieville's Iron Council. I've read about two chapters so far. I have to say I nearly put down the book before the first chapter was over, it seemed so badly written. Especially these first two paragraphs:
A man runs. Pushes through thin bark-and-leaf walls, through the purposeless rooms of Rudewood. The trees crowd him.
This far in the forest there are aboriginal noises. The canopy rocks. The man is heavy-burdened, and sweated by the unseen sun. He is trying to follow a trail.
I have to think the fragments and unnecessary commas (not to mention the stilted pacing) are intentional, otherwise I have no faith in this author, much less his editor.

Maybe the style will grow on me (like Gibson's in Pattern Recognition). It seems like it could go either way at this point.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Syl, that section you quoted left my brain stumbling and trapped by the non-rhythm. That is, of course, the condition of the character.
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

I am purchasing "A Storm of Swords" tomorrow, by George RR Martin....

I can't wait!!!!
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

And well worth it, Baradakas.

I'm rereading THE SILVER CHAIR, C.S. Lewis. Needing a break with some relaxation.
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

A little off topic, but when does AFFC come out?
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Since the author isn't done writing it yet, there is no release date for AFFC. :? Best guesses say a good year from now. :o
Love as thou wilt.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

A little rested, I'm starting a reread of Jack Chalker's MIDNIGHT AT THE WELL OF SOULS. This is still relaxation, even though it's a wildly varied and intelligent world, because I've read it at least a dozen times.
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I am currently reading the 4th book (the hand of oberon I think it is called) in the first Amber series by Roger Zelazny and hope to finish the series latest by wednesday when I should get started on the second chrons to be finished in time for the Runes...
SLATFATF...
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

I'll spare you the long list this time, but just mention two titles I consider noteworthy: 'Faerie Tale' by Raymond E Feist, and Laurell K Hamilton's 'Seduced By Moonlight' - the 3rd in the Meredith Gentry series.
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I've been working on some of the Dune prequels. The House ones --

House Atreides
House Harkonnen
House Corrino

The writing is not very good, IMHO. :( These books could have used some serious editing...the authors keep using the same descriptive phrases over and over and over. One of the characters always has her hair color described (and no, not because it changes frequently :wink: ) -- another always has her eye color described. We're talking main characters here, and the description seems to come up every time they make an appearance. :roll: :roll: :roll:

On the other hand, it is interesting to see the classic Dune characters such as Leto and Jessica Atreides as little kids...and both the Harkonnens and Corrinos are much nastier here than in the classic Dune books...
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”