What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Post by Guest »

I am in the right middle of Timeline by Michael Crichton and I'm just getting way into the story.

Not that I should be complaining here...BUT I am getting Runes by UPS tomorrow. I figured that I had another two weeks to finish Timeline before Runes would be shipped. Now, I gotta decide whether to finish Timeline first, read them both at the same time, or just start Runes and finish Timeline up later!

Boo hoo...sucks to be me! ;)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

What a terrible dilema! :wink: :lol:

I have been doing yet another reread of Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October, one of the most imaginative and fun books I have ever read. I keep coming back to it again and again. :) :) :) It is the daily diary for the month of October of Snuff, Jack the Ripper's dog. :) He has a very interesting relationship with a cat...it's a lot of fun figuring that out. :lol: And it features great tributes to Lovecraft (especially his dream world), Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolfman, Sherlock Holmes, and many other well known characters. Its a complete and total hoot!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Love as thou wilt.

saera
Ramen

Post by saera »

I'm actually re-reading White Gold Wielder. Re-reading the whole six books before I can get my hands on the Runes, which wont be until Oct 21st here. :cry:

But just to make sure I don't finish WGW two weeks earlier and have to wait with nothing Donaldson-y to read, I'm only reading small, small pieces at a time. And I'm currently also reading a couple thrillers..
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Still reading LFB. It's taking a long time, but I'm sure I can finish within a week. If I'm extremely lucky I might even manage to get my hands on This Day All Gods Die before Runes and Shadowmarch get here. If not, I'll have to wait even longer to finally finish the Gap.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I finished To Green Angel Tower Pt. II, and i just have one word--whew! The last hundred and fifty pages were undoubtedly the best in the book, and I read it all in a sitting.

I just picked up A.S. Byatt's first short story collection to help me recover. Her short stories are lovely, so well-put-together, not a word wasted...makes a bit of a change from TW. :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Well that's something to look forward to! You blew right past me Myste! :D I'm around page 500 and am slightly pissed cause I left the book at school, so won't be reading it again till Monday. :( Darrows, ghants & Guthwulf 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

danlo wrote:Well that's something to look forward to! You blew right past me Myste! :D I'm around page 500 and am slightly pissed cause I left the book at school, so won't be reading it again till Monday. :( Darrows, ghants & Guthwulf 8)
Even at my busiest, I still get a solid hour to read every day thanks to the glories of public transport. I'm surprised I finished first, though! :D I think if I hadn't had to spread it out over two weeks, it would have taken me longer, because I would've been burnt out. The short installments made it more tantalizing. 8)
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

My new sig is a Sithi quote, btw... 8) I've just read about 20 pages of Gene Wolfe's There Are Doors (that duchy sent me) and I must say this is the weirdest book I've ever met-I'm really digging it!!!!! :P
Last edited by danlo on Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Yes, that is a bizarre and very intriguing book -- makes you wonder with every page what reality is! :)
Love as thou wilt.

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

duchess of malfi wrote:Yes, that is a bizarre and very intriguing book -- makes you wonder with every page what reality is! :)
Sounds 8) . I'll have to rustle up a copy!
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

Just finished DT7 - King's best book in a long time

Just finished The Rising by Brian Keene - intelligent zombies - human & animal - a brilliant step in the evolution of zombie stories

Rereading White Gold Wielder - what can I say this series improves as I age!
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I just started a science fiction novel by George R. R. Martin, Dying of the Light, which was, IIRC, his first published novel, and has been recently put back into print. 8)

I have only had time to read the prologue, but it was so cool, my mind is completely blown. :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail:

I know he is better known for A Song of Ice and Fire, but if you haven't read some of his other books, like Tuf Voyaging or Fevre Dream, you have missed some great reads in science fiction and horror. :D
Love as thou wilt.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Still trying to get those, Duchess. TUF VOYAGING is the only one I have been able to get. Oh, except WINDHAVEN, and I've already praised that here.

Have almost finished a cozy mystery (work), and about to reread C.S. Lewis's THE HORSE AND HIS BOY (play).
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Mission Earth Vol 3 The Enemy Within

--A
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Fevre Dream( which is a wonderful book :D ) like Dying of the Light, is due to be issued in a reprint this fall. 8)

In some ways it reads like a remarkably well written historical novel...the steamships and the rivers...and then you throw in the vampires, and the questions about slavery (both among vampires and humans), friendship, truth, trust, and loyalty -- and you have something truly wonderful. :R

Captain Abner Marsh might be my favorite of all of Martin's characters, along with Dany and Tyrion from ASOIAF. :) He rocks!!!!!!!!! :R :R :R
Love as thou wilt.

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I will be reading RUNES by day's end!!!!!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Rub it in! :lol:

:P
Love as thou wilt.

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

*looks sheepish* Sorry!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

It's fine, I would be every bit as happy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Well, despite the week from hell, I've been slowly working my way through George R.R. Martin's Dying of the Light...

This is the third of his works that I have read that deal with the issues of slavery and/or racism/sexism...I am beginning to think that this is a social issue that must be near and dear in his heart...

I wonder if the US Civil Right's movement had a big impact on him? About how old would he have been in 1964 or thereabouts?
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”