duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

This Month in History -- November

Post by duchess of malfi »

To give people something to debate other than the recent US elections. :wink:

Nov. 1
Amerigo Vespucci discovers Bahia de Todos Santos on the coast of Brazil
The last Czar, Nicholas II succeeds his father
The Hungarian Revolution against Communist rule; Premier Imre Nagy delares Hungary a neutral state and requests help from the United Nations

November 2
Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas a Becket begins six year exile in France
Charles Harvard arrives in Massachusetts bay Colony
Congress disbands the Continental Army after the American Revolution
Great Britain issues the Balfour Declaration, stating intent to establish a Jewish homeland in Palestine

November 3
Ottoman Sultan Abdulmecid I issus the "Noble Edict of the Rose Chamber", a decree granting equality to all his subjects, regardless of race or creed
Mary Jacob wins patent for first bra

November 4
one week before the Armistice, great English poet Wilfred Owen is killed in action
Soviet tanks roll into Budapest to stop Hungary's political reform movement
in Iran, the US embassy (and 90 hostages) are siezed
Israei Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin is assassinated

November 5
the Gunpowder Plot to destroy the UK Parliament is uncovered
future Nobel Prize Wimmer Marie Curie enrolls for classes in the Sorbonne; on this same date in 1906 she becomes that college's first female physics professor

November 6
Ishida Mitsunari is executed following his loss in the Batlle of Sekigahara; this loss assured the rise to power of the Tokugawa family, who became the Shoguns of Japan until 1868
Abraham Lincoln elected as Preident of the USA
Bolshevik Revolution in Russia

November 7
305BC
Ptolomy assumes kingship of Egypt (last of his line will be the famous Cleopatra VII)
Kerensky flees Russia, the Bolsheviks take power
Mussolini is picked as leader by Italian nationals congress

November 8
Roman Empire outlaws paganism
Cortez enters Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan
Abraham Lincoln reelected as US president
Adolf Hitler launches his Beer Hall Putsch, his first attempt at siezing power

more will follow later, but hopefully this can get some debates rolling on some of these events in world history. :)
Love as thou wilt.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

God Bless You Mary Jacob!
in Iran, the US embassy (and 90 hostages) are siezed
Israei Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin is assassinated
A sad day indeed.

Great idea for a thread, Duchess!
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

On November 11: The Great war came to an end and then the Treaty of Versailles was signed. I would of thought that this was one of the most important things ever to happen in November and in the whole world.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Yes, the damned treaty of Versailles. If only people could restrain their desire for revenge.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

dlbpharmd wrote:
dlb, all this time I thought you were a guy!

damned bras *grumble grumble*
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

November 9
In France, during Revolutionary years, the Consulate overthrows the Directory, opening the door to Napoleon's rise to power
Kristallnacht in Germany
East Germany opens the Berlin Wall (Germans begin ripping down the Wall the following day)

November 10
motorcycles introduced by Gottlieb Daimler in Germany
Hirohito becomes Emporer of Japan
Tibet calls on the UN for help during its invasion by China
playwright and Nobel Peace Prize nominee Ken Saro-Wiwa executed in Nigeria despite world outcry

November 11
end of World War I
Rhodesian independence declared by Colonial Prime Minister Ian Smith

November 12
first King of an independent Norway is approved by voters
Voyager I comes within 77,000 miles of Saturn and sends back pictures that show the hundreds of rings

November 13
Vietnam turns back Chinese invaders at the bach Dang River, ending 1,000 years of Chinese control
American statesman Benjamin Franklin declares in a letter "Nothing is sure, except death and taxes."

November 14
Lady Jane Gray, age 16, Queen of England for 9 days, is arrested on charges of high treason
Claude Monet is born
Great Britain invades Upper Burma and deposes the last Burmese King
fist major battle between US and North Vietnamese forces in the Ia Drang Valley

November 15
Christopher Columbus descibes, in his diary, the use of tobacco by Native Americns
Pizarro takes the last Incan Emporer captive
Lewis & Clark reach the mouth of the Columbia River and prepare to make winter camp
Zebulon Pike, on an exploratory expedition sponsored by US government, spots the great mountain which will come to be known as Pike's Peak, in Colorado
Himmler, leader of the German SS, order that gypsies be sent to concentration camps

November 16
Swedish King Gustavus Adolphus killed during Sweden's victory over the Austrians at the Battle of Lutzen
Hessian mercenaries fighting for Britain take Long Island from American Revolutionaries
Murray River discovered by Hamilton Hume in Australia
Fyodor Dostoyevsky sentenced to death for antigovernment activities in Russia (his execution will be stayed at the last minute) -- 20 years later he will become a great novelist
Benazir Bhutto is elected as leader of Pakistan, the first woman leader of a Muslim nation in modern times

more will follow :)
Love as thou wilt.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Fist and Faith wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:
dlb, all this time I thought you were a guy!

damned bras *grumble grumble*
I am. You have to crawl before you can walk, and you have to have the bra invented to have the push-up bra too.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dlbpharmd wrote:I am. You have to crawl before you can walk, and you have to have the bra invented to have the push-up bra too.
And those wonderful front-openers...Finding one of those is like Christmas :letsparty:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

duchess of malfi wrote:November 6
Bolshevik Revolution in Russia
That event sticks out to me. It set the stage for Soviet Communism and the Cold War with the West in the second half of the 20th century. The resulting arms race rewarded us with the capability to destroy all life on the planet. The nuclear stockpile is a legacy for all time.

Kinda makes me wish Lenin's train had derailed that day in 1917. I wish Tsar Nicholas II hadn't been such an incompetent idiot to let his country collapse to the point where a terrorist like Lenin could take over. Heck, I wish Karl Marx had just dropped dead before he wrote the Communist Manifesto. Gee, Communism. What a great idea, Karl. Thanks a million.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

MM, if you don't mind, we're trying to have a serious discussion here!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Sorry. Uh...the strapless bra: clearly one of the most crucial developments in the history of feminine undergarments... :screwy:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

It's a strange, and somewhat humbling thought that every day that we live is the anniversary of some great historical event.

As MatrixMan implies, these are events that shape the future of the world, events which have led, directly or indirectly, to the world as we know it today. And today, as we speak, events occur which will make the world the place our children will experience.

Would anthing have been different if those people had realised the extent to which they were influencing the future? I doubt it.

Great thread Duchess.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

November 17
death of Queen Mary I of England; her heir is her half sister Elizabeth I, who will become one of the world's greatest monarchs
the Suez Canal in Egypt is opened
the first ship passes through the Panama Canal

November 18
Vasco de Gama reaches the Cape of Good Hope at the southern tip of Africa
US Navy Captain Nathaniel Parker is the first person to reach Antarctica
American and Canadian railroads go to four continental time zones to end the confusion of dealing with thousands of local times
South Africa approves a new constitution that gives blacks the vote

November 19
the Pilgrims arrive on Cape Cod in Massachusetts
Lincoln gives the Gettysburg Address
Soviets launch a huge counteroffensive in the Battle of Stalingrad
Egyptian leader Anwar Saddat travels to Jerusalem to seek peace with Israel

November 20
Bolivar declares Venezuelan independence from Spain
scientist Edwin Hubbel is born
Nuremberg Trials begin, charging Nazi leaders with, among other things, crimes against humanity

November 21
first untethered hot air balloon flight takes place in Paris
scientist Michael Faraday reads the first of a series of papers about electricity in London
Thomas Hancock patents vulcanized rubber in Great Britain
Thomas Edison announces the invention of the phonograph

November 22
Blackbeard the Pirate killed in a battle off of the North Carolina Outer banks against British Naval ships sent down from Virginia
John F. Kennedy is assassinated in Dallas, Texas

more will follow :)
Love as thou wilt.

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

November 18
South Africa approves a new constitution that gives blacks the vote
The end of Apartheid in SA seemed to me to be almost as miraculous as the demise of the Soviet Union and Communism. It was amazing that those events happened one after the other within such a short span of time.
November 20
scientist Edwin Hubbel is born
A great hero of astronomy (and cosmology). His discovery that the galaxies are moving away from each other showed we live in an expanding universe, which in turn implied that at one time the universe was a singular point, and thus the Big Bang theory was born. So for changing our view of the entire universe, Hubble has my vote as one of the greatest figures of the twentieth century.
November 21
Sliced bread can't touch the phonograph. One of the greatest inventions ever, for music lovers anyway. There are audiophiles today who still insist the vinyl record is superior to any digital medium. Perhaps. If I get my hands on a high end turntable one day, then sure, I'd like to test that claim with my own ears.
November 22
John F. Kennedy is assassinated in Dallas, Texas
The assassination is now a game simulation: the notorious "JFK: Reloaded." You can try your luck at gunning down JFK just like Lee Harvey Oswald, to see if the lone man theory holds up. Apparently there are cash prizes to be won. :roll:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Matrixman wrote:[
November 21
Sliced bread can't touch the phonograph. One of the greatest inventions ever, for music lovers anyway. There are audiophiles today who still insist the vinyl record is superior to any digital medium. Perhaps. If I get my hands on a high end turntable one day, then sure, I'd like to test that claim with my own ears.
Quality wise, if you want your CD to sound like a record, rub a bit of dirt on the lense ;)

On the other hand, digital can only approximate the natural "analogue curve" by faking a curve with lots of little straight "lines". Personally, I can't hear the difference. But then, I'm no music lover.

Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

On the other hand, digital can only approximate the natural "analogue curve" by faking a curve with lots of little straight "lines". Personally, I can't hear the difference. But then, I'm no music lover.
But when does the series of straight lines become similar enough to the curve to be considered a curve itself? I challenge anyone to tell the difference between an analogue curve and a digital signal with a sample rate of 24kHz.
Much less a higher quality signal like they use for professional recording. (44.1kHz or 48kHz)
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

November 23
Arthur Wellesley, who will later become the Duke of Wellington, wins the Battle of Assaye in India, his first major battle as a commander (he will later go on to be a leading figure in the Napoleanic Wars in Europe)
Thomas Hardy's novel Far from the Madding Crowd is published
The Vatican abolished Latin as the official language of the Roman Catholic Mass

November 24
Rabbi Nathan ben Yehiel of Rome completes a Talmudic dictionary
Tasmania discovered by Dutch navigator Abal Tasman
Oliver Cromwell bans Anglican services in favor of Puritan services in England
Darwin's Origin of Species is published
Ireland votes for independece from the United Kingdom

November 25
heir to the English Throne, William, son of Henry I is dorwned while en route to France -- this will set off a war for the crown between Matilda and Stephen
the last British troops leave the USA (from New York City) following the American Revolution
dynamite is patented by Swede Alfred Nobel
Hirohito becomes regent of Japan
trans-Atlantic radio broadcasting begins
New Zealand confirms the 1932 Statute of Westminster, which granted NZ independence from Great Britain
Ed parsons invents cable TV
Mobuto siezes power in the Congo, and changes the country's name to Zaire

November 26
Captain John Cook discovers the Hawaiian Islands
George Washington proclaims a national day of Thanksgiving to honor the signing of the US Constitution
the French army is desperately trying to escape Russia during the Napoleanic Wars
westerners in the state of Virginia, who had previously nullified Virginia's succession from the US, meet in order to draft a constitution for what will be known as the state of West Virginia
Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the modern Thanksgiving Day holiday
world premiere of the classic film Casablanca
independence of India

November 27
43BC
Octavian, Antony, and Lepidus form the Second Trimvirate to secure rule of Rome following the death of Julius Caesar
John Walker, an English pharmacist, invents the modern friction match; he refuses to patent his invention
Thomas Davenport invents the first commercially successful electric motor
Swedish scientist Alfred Nobel draws up his will in Paris, places most of his fortune into a trust to establish what will become the Nobel Prizes
foundation of the relief group CARE in reponse to the condition of post-WW2 Europe (it is later expanded to help all nations in all parts of the world)

November 28
Magellan reaches the Pacific Ocean, becoming the first person to reach the Pacific from the Atlantic
William Shakespeare and Anne Hathaway pay for their marriage license in Stratfor-upon-Avon, England
women in New Zealand are allowed to vote; this is the first major general election where this is allowed
the first B-24 Liberators are produced in the massive Ford factory in Willow Run, Michigan; soon the plant will be producing a bomber an hour as America begins its huge WW2 manufacturing effort
Polaroid cameras are introduced

November 29
Louis XVI gives civil status to Protestants in France
the first open heart surgery takes place at Johns Hopkins University Hospital in Maryland
Freedom Riders (workers for civil rights) are attacked in McComb, Mississippi

November 30
Galileo sees the true face of the moon for the first time
women are allowed to vote in French elections
Stalinist USSR attacks Finland
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “Coercri”