Did Runes meet your expectations?

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Runes was...

Flawless. Donaldson struck (white) gold again.
28%
Very good, but lacking in some places.
48%
Very good, but I missed TC too much.
9%
Somewhat to deeply flawed, Donaldson's weakest entry in the series.
15%
Simply horrific. I won't read another in this series.
No votes

Total votes: 46

burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Did Runes meet your expectations?

Post by burgs »

Many people believe that Runes was perfect, some that it needed more, and others that it was somewhat flawed, others that it failed miserably.

I'd like to see a show of hands to set the record straight here on Kevin's watch.

If I've missed an option in the poll, let me know, and I'll add it.

I hope we get a lot of responses.
Last edited by burgs on Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Maybe I expected too much, maybe it's because I don't like Linden, maybe I was in a bad mood when I read it, maybe it's because I hate time-travel, but I felt that it dragged in some places, and rushed through others. I'll withold final judgement until the series is complete.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

I like it. But I missed the giants. And Linden whines WAY too much!!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I don't think it is "deeply" flawed, but I do think that it is his weakest entry in the series, and so I cast my vote in the 4th option.

I found myself unable to become emotionally attached to the protagonist, because there was no meaningful struggle in any of the situations she encountered.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I voted Flawless, it's not quite, but there was nothing inbetween flawless and the next one down (I'd give it a 95%) :D
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Though I didn't find the book flawless I was not in any way disappointed and I wager that once I finish reading the final book, the percieved flaws I found in Runes may very well disappear with my ignorance. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

aTOMiC wrote:Though I didn't find the book flawless I was not in any way disappointed and I wager that once I finish reading the final book, the percieved flaws I found in Runes may very well disappear with my ignorance. :-)
Precisely. I'm hoping that the "prolog-y" feeling will go away once the whole story is told.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jerico »

I thought it was flawless. SRD is not the same writer he was 20 years ago. He has said this in the GI. I have waited so long for this series to continue that it would have had to be the most horrible dribble for me to think anything less.
Gart
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Gart »

I thought it was ok for the most part. It looked like a lot is being set up to happen in later books.

The climax seemed light, compared to previous books. And I got a bit irritated at the way doing anything more energetic than getting out of bed seemed to knock Linden out...she spent half the book on her back.

Most of all I wanted to see more of TC...I don't want to buy "The Last Cameos of Thomas Covenant" after all.
...but in the morning, I will be sober
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I can't say I expected more than what I got - I thought the book was as good as any other (perhaps better than some - The One Tree always got on my nerves a bit), and while I really miss Covenant a lot (it's strange when you realise just how much you like seeing through his eyes), I still thought Linden held his place quite well.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yeah, the lack of a whiz-bang Industrial Light & Magic climax hurt a bit -- but Anele's speech in the Close held its own, I think. I voted "practically perfect." More Covenant would have been good. And Giants. This story needs Giants.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I don't know whether to vote 'good but some flaws' or 'good but missed covenant'...
Terrel
Servant of the Land

Post by Terrel »

The Runes of the Earth met all my expectations. However, I had some trouble reading the difficult English (I'm Dutch). Some words I couldn't even find in the dictionary!

What I liked most in the first series and found again in the Runes; its deeper wisdoms and 'philosophy'.

I can't wait to read the second! Its pure entertainment . That's why the Runes is flawless.

Runes: "No Covenant? No giants yet?"

In time ;)
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

struck white gold but want more!

Post by Khat »

I was so glad that SRD went to the trouble to remind us about the Land and its lore. I didn't know I missed it so much until I began and finished this fantastic book.

I do feel I need to reread the the first 2 Chronicles as some things I just don't remember and some things I need to remember more. My only wish I ever had about the previous triliogies is I did not understand WHY the characters did things or What they were truly feeling. I was always searching to know the characters better - in Runes SRD gives us a better look at the people.

Of course I read those stories so long ago... I've changed as a reader as well.
snoopy
Servant of the Land

Post by snoopy »

I found <i>Runes of the Earth</i> to be very well done. I enjoyed the story and its continuity with the previous books, and I enjoyed the new elements, too.
<b>Snoopy</b>
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I liked it so much I gave it four and a half to five stars at Amazon. com! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Skydog
Servant of the Land

Post by Skydog »

I found myself trying hard to recall all the different themes, subtexts, characters etc. when I began Runes.

I had no idea that SRD had a new book out, I happened to see it at Barnes and Noble and, of course, scooped it up. But it had been years since I had read the other six books. Anyway, I thought the book started slowly and I felt myself thinking, man, did SRD get pushed into this for reasons other than just a desire to write another "final" chronicles? As one reads on, however, (well, as I read on) I began to once again enjoy the the Land, the story, and this addition to the TC Chronicles. In the SRD interview he remarks that had planned on a final chronicles and I think Runes fall squarely "good but lacking in some places." I agree that Linden whines [and crys] way too much and note as well that sometimes her manner of speech seems out of place with the book, e.g., when she confronts the Masters in Revelstone. I agree with "Cail" time-travel is hard to do in straight-up science fiction, even less fun in SF/fantasy.

I look forward to the rest of the books. Final reckoning then :-)

Best
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

I will withold judgement until I have read the whole series,good start though!I thouroughly enjoyed it.You may read book 4 and say to yourself"awe man I didn't much like Runes,but now it all makes sense and adds up to one incredible whole".If the series were a hour and each book 15 mins would you be convinced you loved it or hated it in the first 15 mins.Wait and judge the whole. Be True
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Agreed. When I read LFB, I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. It wasn't until I progressed further through the series that I really began to reel in awe. Give it time.
pondhopper
Servant of the Land

Post by pondhopper »

Yep...........definately a "build up" :)

Can't wait for the story to continue..................
"Ah, no! You can't kill what was in that man!"- Last line of "The Northwest Passage" by Kenneth Roberts

Formerly, ManInTheMiddle

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”