Eight Below

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Eight Below

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Stranded sled dog movie. I want to go, but I'm afraid I'll either spend the whole time groaning over the sappiness or crying over the poor fuzzies in danger. Anybody seen it?
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

no, but julie has made me promise to rent it when it comes out on dvd. she loves doggies.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

EIGHT BELOW

Domestic Total as of Feb. 22, 2006: $27,916,566
Well, somebody must have seen it.....
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

America rejects gay cowboys for stranded sled dogs.

there is a lesson there.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Do you blame them?

Then again, Brokeback has worked it's way into nearly everything we do at work....Nobody knows how to quit anyone anymore.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Is 8 supposed to be a true story? I read it's about a dogsled team abandoned in Antarctica for six months, and they survive. If it's a true story, I'm wondering how they know any specific events. Was Dr. Doolittle on hand to interview the dogs? And if so, did they all tell the same story? Dogs are notorious for trying to look good in front of humans. "I was the alpha. I kept us alive." "No! I was the alpha! They'd all be dead if not for me!" "You two are liars. As alpha, the decisions I had to make will haunt me the rest of my life." But maybe all the dogs' stories were pretty much the same in all other regards.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Prom_STar
Bloodguard

Post by Prom_STar »

I just saw this film today. To be honest, I was surprised. It's no cynamatic tour de force or anything like that, but it is a good movie. It's definitley a disney movie--and one does wonder how much they messed with. But it was just a good movie. Makes you feel good and all that fun stuff.
Was auch immer komm, dieses weiß ich für sicher:
Ich bin zurückgekauft.

Wenn Diamanten reichlich war, würden sie keinen Wert haben. Echter Wert kommt nich aus schönheit--er kommt aus seltenheit.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Fist: great post.

i can imagine the interior dialogue of the dogs.

"hungry, need to pee, hungry, the MAN is never coming back, hungry, need to sniff his butt."

of course that's in the first two minutes...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Eight Below

Post by matrixman »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:I want to go, but I'm afraid I'll either spend the whole time groaning over the sappiness or crying over the poor fuzzies in danger.
Yeah, same here.
Fist and Faith wrote:Is 8 supposed to be a true story? I read it's about a dogsled team abandoned in Antarctica for six months, and they survive.
I don't know anything about this story, true or otherwise, but all I can say right now is that whoever was the moron that abandoned those dogs out there in the first place should be forced to go naked in Antarctica. Then again, what with global warming trends, the south polar region could be nicely tropical before you know it. Mind you, that might mean coastal cities elsewhere are under 10 feet of melted ice water, but I digress...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

this isn't the one with Cuba Gooding jr? :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Prom_STar
Bloodguard

Post by Prom_STar »

They didn't intend to abandon the dogs. They're a research team in Antartica and they had to evacuate their people because one had frostbite, the other a broken leg. They couldn't take the dogs so they left them--intending to come back and get the dogs only a few hours later (they were flying, btw). However, bad weather cancels their flightplans and thus the dogs are left to fend for themselves.
In all fairness, the dogs did sleep outside. They're obviously capable of taking care of themselves--they survived after all.
Spoiler
well, most of 'em at least.
Was auch immer komm, dieses weiß ich für sicher:
Ich bin zurückgekauft.

Wenn Diamanten reichlich war, würden sie keinen Wert haben. Echter Wert kommt nich aus schönheit--er kommt aus seltenheit.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

I did finally go see it. Didn't cry, but my girlfriend and half of the other people in the theatre did. Can't blame 'em, I guess. I'd have been sobbing too, if it were horses. :P Not a spectacular movie, but better than I expected.

This movie was "suggested" by a Japanese movie based on what actually happened to, as I understand it, a Japanese dog team in the late 1950s. www.imdb.com/title/tt0085991/plotsummary
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I finally read a review of Eight Below in my local newspaper. The opinion of the reviewer was that this is a no-frills, old-school Disney movie that relies on direct emotional pull (along the lines of a genre classic like The Black Stallion) rather than tons of visual effects. Sounds refreshing!

The review also mentioned that Japanese film. Apparently the original is a more harrowing and elemental story that's been toned down by Disney for this new version.
sgtnull wrote:this isn't the one with Cuba Gooding jr? :)
Okay, finally found out what you were referencing. No thanks, I didn't bother to see Snow Dogs. Has Cuba Gooding Jr. starred in anything good at all after Jerry Maguire? :wink:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Matrixman wrote:Apparently the original is a more harrowing and elemental story that's been toned down by Disney for this new version.
Disney sucks.

--A
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Matrix: Cuba has consistantly made horrible movies since his Oscar. he may have to start refunding movie goers soon.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Ironically, I saw Sled Dogs just a few days after seeign Eight Below. Even knowing it was a goofy movie, and having seen it before, I couldn't help but wonder what the point of making it had been. To top it off, as I watched the credits, I noticed that the movie had been "suggested" by Gary Paulsen's Winterdance, a wonderful autobiographical sled dog book by the author of Hatchet and The River (young adult survival stories). It's been a few years since I read the book, but near as I can figure, the only similarities between the book and the movie are the fact that both lead characters are new to sled dogs racing, and the VW Beetle the dogs pull. If you have any interest in the subject, read Winterdance. I tell you, it's absolutely nothing like the movie.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:...by the author of Hatchet and The River (young adult survival stories).
Hey, I remember those. Enjoyed them at the time. :)

--A

Return to “Flicks”