Anything after MN?

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Would you like to see Volume III of MN?

Leave it, it's done
36%
Yes
25%
write a book about Darsint's world, instead?
11%
don't care
No votes
O my groin!
11%
O my groin!
11%
Prequel
5%

Total votes: 44

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

The only thing that would make sense tome is if SRD wrote a prequal, showing some of the characters when they were young. You wouldn't have the connection with our earth in it though.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

As I said in other threads I'm interested in writing a short story or two on certain things that could happen afterwords. I think it would be very cool if we all did that and came up with a "post-MN" short story collection! 8) I wouldn't mind SRD writing a "pre-MN" short story, but wouldn't expect him to write a novel. Now a book about Darsint's world would be awesome!
fall far and well Pilots!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

danlo wrote:As I said in other threads I'm interested in writing a short story or two on certain things that could happen afterwords. I think it would be very cool if we all did that and came up with a "post-MN" short story collection! 8) I wouldn't mind SRD writing a "pre-MN" short story, but wouldn't expect him to write a novel. Now a book about Darsint's world would be awesome!
Okay Danlo, I've always found the Congery's champion interesting. Perhaps I can blunder through a short script about that. "I need a re charge!!!!"
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

If you write one so will I! That would be "god-rotting" cool!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

danlo wrote:If you write one so will I! That would be "god-rotting" cool!
Very well then. I suppose this will require me to un earth my hard backs of MN. Once I'm sufficiently refreshed I will get busy.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

clearfrontier wrote:I've always found the Congery's champion interesting. Perhaps I can blunder through a short script about that.
Clearfrontier, there's no need for you to burden yourself with unnecessary research. I can easily summarize what you will write ahead of time. Here's an example.

"Darsint stood on unsteady feet that even now wept their failure, and had a couple of nasty corns on them to boot. He swayed precariously as the cerulean sky lurched nauseatingly before him. In short, he was done for. This was a challenge greater than any he had faced before, either as a warrior or as the Castellan of Mordant; and he failed; miserably. He fell forward and retched out the bitter bile of his loss. Loss, and much, much more. A gentle voice spoke: ‘Be not distressed. Diamondraught is not for the faint of heart, and none can drink it as a giant can, my friend. Take heart in that amongst men, you have drank your share and more. Many songs will be sung of your follishness this night’. It was Saltheart Foamfollower. Or at leastit was one of the Foamfollowers he saw; he couldn’t be sure, but he thought it was the middle one. As Darsint passed out, he noted with satisfaction that he at least puked all over Hile Troys’ boots, and as he leaned over to clean them off Hile’s sunglasses fell off. Muttering menacingly, Hile sucker punched Covenant; who jumped up to retaliate, screaming 'Hellfire! Troy, you bastard; what do you do for an encore, steal children's lunch money?'. Immediately, Covenent tripped over the flaccid form of Darsint and fell hands first onto the Staff of law carelessly left on the ground by Lord Kevin, who was totally landwasted. Upon contact with the staff, the white gold exploded, killing seventeen Ramen and knocking over Morn Hyland; who was immediately raped by Nick Succorso. Of course, this pissed off the Ranyhyn, who had just took a timeout before kicking a field goal, and they wanted their Gatorade and Amanibhavam, or whatever the hell that grass was called. Well, it was all gone, stolen by Hobbits that were smoking it in the distance with Gandalf and whatever Lord that wanted to become a Hight Lord. Anyway, the ensuing melee was too confusing to describe, but suffice it to say that Darsint woke up in the hospital with a really bad headache and a hoof print indention on his chest plate.”
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dAN wrote: Lord Kevin, who was totally landwasted.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, dAN. You've given me somthing to shoot for.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

clearfrontier wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, dAN. You've given me somthing to shoot for.

Thanks. I really wished I had read some of the Reed Stephens' books, so I could have made vague and disturbing character references to them. Instead, I was forced to use a Bud Light commercial.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

A Hight Lord or a Tight Lord? :mrgreen:
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

danlo wrote:A Hight Lord or a Tight Lord? :mrgreen:
My apologies. I was merely trying to emulate Clearfrontier's alternate (or incorrect) spelling style. The correct spelling would be "Bud Light Lord"
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dAN wrote:
danlo wrote:A Hight Lord or a Tight Lord? :mrgreen:
My apologies. I was merely trying to emulate Clearfrontier's alternate (or incorrect) spelling style. The correct spelling would be "Bud Light Lord"
Thanks to microsoft word auto spell check that is far less likely than has been in the past. I credit years of burdening dAN with my unedited fiction for his lingering perceptions. :roll:

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:D
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

A prequel would be the best bet... if there is any chance of another book... A prequel showing The old wars of Mordant... How Joyse founded the Congery and Mordant, all the stuff involving Havelock and his betrayal... etc
H T Murgatroid
Servant of the Land

volume III

Post by H T Murgatroid »

Hello all, this is my first post on this site.

Has anyone considered a second (perhaps stronger and better run) organization, like the congery that exists somewhere "out there" among the imaged worlds? Should the two groups become aware of each other, it could be a fertile ground for misunderstandings and power struggles.
Mordant would have to possibly unite with Alend and Cadwal to have the werewithal to face such a threat. And it's possible the the "civilian" authorities such as King Joyce (or his successor) may disagree with the congery on how to meet that threat.
Hello
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

That could be an amazing scenario! That just blows me away! Thanks! And welcome to the Watch HTM! 8)
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Welcome, H T Murgatroid, and thanks for sharing your idea. :)

The obvious question that comes to my mind is, do Terisa and Geraden play a part in this? Are they still around? And if they are, then any rival "parallel" Congery out there would have to contend with these two, whose powers of Imagery are, well, practically unlimited as far as I'm aware. I don't think Terisa's power has been tested to its limit yet, at any rate. I think what she accomplished in the story still only hints at the deep level of Mastery she has over mirrors.

If Terisa and Geraden are not around anymore, then I'd first like to know why that is, and what has happened to them. It may be countered that they've passed away and that this is an entirely new era or age in Mordant's history that is being considered. Well, okay, but I would then say, what about the couple's offspring? Surely their descendants would be around, and thus be immensely talented Imagers themselves? I imagine they would have within themselves the latent, combined power of both Terisa and Geraden. Never mind arch-Imagers, they might almost be like gods. Any competing Congery out there, even if "stronger" or "better run" than the one in Mordant (ooh, an insult to Master Barsonage!:wink:) would think twice before attacking the super-children of Terisa and Geraden.

To balance that out, we would require some equally powerful members on the side of the hostile Congery. We would need to build up a story for them, then. Their own history. Otherwise, it cheapens everything if we just pull a rabbit out of the hat and say, Oh here's a powerful rival Congery that just happens to have its own equivalent super arch-Imagers as talented as Terisa ever was. An interesting question to answer is, why was this uber-powerful Congery never detected by Mordant's Congery before, and vice-versa? And how might the casting of Auguries be affected by the presence of a second Congery? These are some of the issues that come to mind when I think about this scenario.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Great post MM, and some interesting considerations for any "sequel" idea. (And welcome to the Watch HTM. :D )

On those lines though, I sorta like Darth's idea for a prequel. I'm a sucker for prequels. :lol:

--A
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

I guess I like the idea of a short story collection best.

Should SRD ever write a sequel, I hope it won't just be a re-arrangement of figures, but a smashing of the hopboard. *g*
Just like the Second Chronicles didn't just have another Illearth Stone and another army of dark creatures but the Sunbane, which took things to a different level. So I kind of dislike the idea of an even more evil or dangerous Congery or an even more evil villain or something along those lines. If there's a new challenge or threat, it should be something world-shattering or profoundly new.

Also, I think the hero/ine's psychological progress should be the main focus of the story again and any ideas for a pre/sequel should start there. I personally don't care about Cadwal and Alend or Mordant itself that much.

*now back to reading Runes for the first time, just started today* ;)

Oh, and I voted for "it's done".

Unless SRD gets a really brilliant idea and surprises us all. :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Enjoy! And then join the Runes read! 8)
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

I dare not (grammar?) enter the Runes section yet. Severe case of spoilophobia. 8O

Return to “Mordant's Need”