Flashy Entrance!

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Flashy Entrance!

Post by Holsety »

'Eyo. I'm not sure how exactly I go about introducing myself, so I'll just list some stuff before I make a few discussion'y posts elsewhere and log off.

-I likes Donaldson's stuff. I've only read The Gap series, some short stories and his TC books, but I certainly plan on getting his other stuff at some point.
-As a sort of follow up to that, an interesting anecdote about my introduction to his work. The first mention was in some collection of fantasy characters from various books, which included Drool Rockworm and some stuff about the TC series; even though it's fairly hard to get anything from things like that, the character kinda stuck in my head (despite his relative insignificance to the overall plot). Later, I randomly purchased Reave and Other Tales, and then when I was looking back through the artsy book, I matched the names and decided to try the series. Interesting story, maybe?
-Other than that, I like the idea of sci-fi and fantasy...but the people who I've read besides Donaldson (Card, Jordan, etc) are only ok...don't hate them, don't exactly love them. With the exception of Gene Wolfe, who's more than fine with me. I also really enjoy certain mystery novels (particularly Stout's Nero Wolfe series, though I only have a few books and don't plan on expanding too much), and some classical authors known and less known, especially John Dos Passos (though I've only read his USA trilogy).
-I play way to many video games. I've been playing them since before I could read (2-17 VS 3-17). But you might have guessed that from my name, if you like Fire Emblem. I like Fire Emblem. Let me repeat: I like Fire Emblem! Another one of my favorites is Star Control II, but I like some more popular series like Warcraft, MGS, and Devil May Cry (I and III, gameplay only).
-I rarely watch TV. Like a fair number of teenagers, I've watched a lot of anime in my past, but I haven't watched any recently...but some, like Bebop, hold some fond memories for me. That being said, I think The Wire is the best thing on television, but then, it's one of the few things I've seen more than 1 or 2 eps of. However, because I used to, I have a fair memory for most of the shows on Adult Swim, and am still a big fan of Home Movies.
-I likes sciency stuff and reading at school. I'm taking AP Chem and AP physics next year, and hoping my brain isn't going to overload in the process (dunno if they're hard or not).

Hopefully this meet or exceeds the standards set for an introduction.

Avatars and signatures and stuff, I'll take care of when I'm not lazy. Eventually, I'll probably set up some stuff that's either mindblowingly awesome, extremely boring, or somewhere between the two extremes.[/i]
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Welcome to the Watch, Holsety!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Hi Holsety 8) Welcome to the Watch mate. :)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Welcome!
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Thank you, everyone. And such. It's nice to have that warm, cuddly feeling of being welcomed.
sgtkafka
Giantfriend

Post by sgtkafka »

hello Holsety.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Re: Flashy Entrance!

Post by Avatar »

Holsety wrote:...With the exception of Gene Wolfe, who's more than fine with me...Another one of my favorites is Star Control II...
Weclome to the Watch. :D For some great dedicated Wolfe threads, visit Gen Sci-Fi. And I love SCII too. Am busy playing the latest open-source release right now in fact. Well, not right now, 'cause I'm at work, but you know what I mean.

Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Flashy Entrance!

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

I would also like to welcome you to The Watch Holsety,and BTW Avatar will be nagging you to visit The Tank soon.(I'm suprised he did not right off actually) :P .
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Hail Holsety, welcome to the Watch. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Holsety wrote:Thank you, everyone. And such. It's nice to have that warm, cuddly feeling of being welcomed.
Yep, that's usual Watch atmosphere (provided you stay away from the Tank :P)...

Post by Avatar »

Hey! I encourage posting in the Close too you know. (Absolutely without mentioning my selfish motives), don't you think it only fair that you reciprocate? Or at least not do the opposite? ;)

--A
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Avatar, I didn't discourage him... I just mentioned that the Tank sometimes gets a little... heated. Fair warning and all that - you wouldn't want me to lie to new members, would you? :P

Post by Avatar »

Not lie as such... :lol:

Anyway, it may get a little heated, sometimes, but we're still welcoming and friendly there. ;)

--A
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Welcome, welcome and true. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Welcome to the Watch!!! Stop on in to the Close!!!
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"

Return to “The Summonsing”