Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

duke
Giantfriend

Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre

Post by duke »

I've just started reading Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre". If it is anywhere near as well written as her sister Emily's "Wuthering Heights", I'm in for a treat. Will post a further comment once I've finished the novel :)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I think you'll enjoy it. It may be a little denser that Wuthering Heights, and harder to get into, but I remeber enjoying it, though it's been years since I read it.

--A
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

I'm 50 pages in so far. My wife has described it as a "slow, dense, girly book". So far thats pretty accurate, but the prose is of a impressively high standard, and Jane sure has attitude, so I'm going to finish it :)

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS: I hope you enjoy it. And yeah, dense is definitely the word. ;)

--A
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Ok, up to page 320 of this 400 page book. It sure is a "dense girly book", but it is only slow at the start. It picks up once Jane gets to Thornfield Hall though! Jane is such a fun character to read about - quiet yet passionate, and very principled. The novel covers so many different themes, a coming of age story, a romance, horror in parts, melodrama in others, it has evoked a pretty full range of emotions from me. And the prose ... its some of the densest (is that a word?) I've read, but it is sublime. People dont write novels this well anymore. Cant wait to finish it and find out what happens to little Jane :)

Also, I'll definitely get around to reading more CB down the track.
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Finished "Jane Eyre" over the weekend. You were right Avatar, I certainly enjoyed it. So many reasons to like this novel - the prose, the banter between Jane and Rochester, the haunting moments, the way it is written by an older Jane telling her life story. Jane is quite distinctive, girly in many ways yet very outspoken and opinionated at times. CB doesnt quite match Emily's "Wuthering Heights" with this story, but she goes pretty damn close.

Definitely a worthy classic.

Post by Avatar »

Glad you liked it. Agree that it's not as good as Wuthering Heights though.

--A
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I know this is somehow slightly off topic, but I finished reading "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde a few hours ago it it was really funny! Recommended reading for those who like to know what happens if Jane gets kidnapped from her own book after saving Rochester from the fire... surreal
SLATFATF...

Post by Avatar »

Never heard of it. Will have to keep an eye out for it. Thanks Ylva. :D

--A

Return to “General Literature Discussion”