San Diego Comic Con?

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i just said to the mate "gee..i sure wish i could go on down to sandiego for the sandiegocomicscon in a couple weeks...some Watchers might show up down there and..."

it was right about there he stopped me and said "woman. you ain't goin no where till i get a vacation!"

ah well. *sniff*

you'll have to give us a full reporting!!
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

jwaneeta wrote:
Plissken wrote:Okay: I wish I had seen this back before I took my vacation time to go to E3. (Damn. It didn't work.)

What books are you working on, jwaneeta?
Hi ooh a response yay. Uh, sorry. :)

I'm currently working on a slamload of kid's graphic novels, and recently did Blue Beetle #3 for DC. And even more recently I did eleven pages of Blue Beetle #6,which was so hideously terminal it had to be chopped up like a dog's breakfast. Ow. I turned my bit in nine days early, though.

So! I'd be happy to meet any KWatcher at SDCon. I'll pull some duty at the Capstone table, but I can probably meet anyone at whim.

Oh, come on. Help me pitch the Donaldson Bestiary (working title) and have some free drinks. Meet Chewbacca. San Diego Con is LOVE.
Been wanting to go since I was working computer color at Dark Horse. Not gonna happen this year, though. Work the LOVE without me, and send vid clips.
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

deadline

Post by jwaneeta »

okay, pardon me if this isn't the right forum. I'd love it if this could be sent to other threads.

Here's the deal: I'm going to pitch the idea of a Donaldson Bestiary to an editor with whom I have some equity. It would be great to have backup beyond my own poor skills.

I need:

A fantastic synopsis

Some art

Brilliant numbers for sales of the 1st and 2nd Chrons. (still in print, etc)

An in with the author, since the last attempt went to hell via the agent

A little help?
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken
Recluce
Woodhelvennin

Post by Recluce »

I really wanted to go to this and work a booth, but there's no way, money and vacation time are at a premium. Guess I'm gonna have to wait till next year, when I'm livin in Cali.
Cute and deadly, still deadly.
Plissken
Lord

Re: deadline

Post by Plissken »

jwaneeta wrote:okay, pardon me if this isn't the right forum. I'd love it if this could be sent to other threads.

Here's the deal: I'm going to pitch the idea of a Donaldson Bestiary to an editor with whom I have some equity. It would be great to have backup beyond my own poor skills.

I need:

A fantastic synopsis

Some art

Brilliant numbers for sales of the 1st and 2nd Chrons. (still in print, etc)

An in with the author, since the last attempt went to hell via the agent

A little help?
Been looking for sales stats for you, but am coming up dry.

I'd say the TC art you posted on the other thread is amazing enough that you don't need to be looking for outside help!
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Re: deadline

Post by jwaneeta »

Plissken wrote:]Been looking for sales stats for you, but am coming up dry.

I'd say the TC art you posted on the other thread is amazing enough that you don't need to be looking for outside help!
Forgive me, I'm being feeble. I want to approach a publishing person but I'm shattered by some pretty hystercal deadlines. It was hell, I say! I'm/ I was asking for links and a synopsis/ presentation.

Tick, tick. Monday looms. I feel stupid printing out my own art only: I've done work for this person, she knows what I can do. The idea was to emphasise the ten million (and still in print!) sales of TCTC, with some pretty art besides my own, to empahsize the broad appeal. And the money-making angle, see.

If anyone is reading this and wants to link me some thrilling Covenant art, or some figures about sales, anything that'll help, please link me.

I'll be over here trying to print out stuff and use the Word default and drooling. Because I really am burnt out and goofy. Oy. Roll on, San Diego,
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Hiya, back from SdCon for real, talking to one of the Big 2 about the Covenant Bestiary. Many deadlines to catch up on. I have a pic-laden post but my html sucks. :( Wah.
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

How was it?

Details, girl, DETAILS!
-- James Madison

jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Plissken wrote:How was it?

Details, girl, DETAILS!

I actually did a long con report post thing for my LJ, but it's sooo boring I've been shy to put it up here (and I need to fix the html, meh).

Basically I did tourist things before the con, and during the con I just did work at the booth. I only went to one panel, and I only took pictures of Star Wars cosplayers. :oops: And did I mention that I missed Samuel L Jackson? *weeps*

I'll try to edit the thing and put it up when I take a work break this evening, but it's so. Deadly. Dull.

Oh, wait, here's one thing of interest: it was reported on Saturday that the exhibit hall was so crowded the Fire Marshall made them stop selling tickets. It was a mob scene, seriously. :D
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

(Okay, I've spent an hour trying to get this poor dumb post up, but most of my pictures don't seem to be linking. A couple did. I'm going to paste urls and leave it for now. *headdesk*)

So! Here's a little bit about San Diego Comic Con (otherwise known as Comic Con International).

My pal Astrid met me there two days early, and we did touristy things before the Con got rolling and the town filled up with... well, more of our kind. I, uh, include pics that Astrid took, because she never forgot her camera and it was a much better machine than my old clunker anyway.

Mission San Juan Capistrano -- we took the train up the coast a ways (a gorgeous ride) and ate righteous roadside tacos. Then we wandered the romantic ruins, and went swimming (kinda) at Dana Point.

pics.livejournal.com/jwaneeta/pic/0004r6sx/g18

Then the Con started and I had to do some work. My publisher was there to recruit, so I sat at the booth and reviewed portfolios when my bosses needed a break to do their own walking about. It was only a few hours at a stretch, but it was really draining. I saw about four amazing portfolios a day, which was awesome, but when I got one that wasn't quite to the professional mark I did basically a whole class. I'd kinda rather break a toe than deliberately hurt another artist's feelings, and I'm neurotic, so I thought I couldn't repeat myself, ever -- which was absurd because, what? People were going to compare notes? I knew I was being dumb but I couldn't shake it.

When I was off my tether, I walked around a bit (walking at all was a genuine achievement in that astounding throng) and geeked out on cosplayers. Especially Star Wars cosplayers. Yes, I'm a nerd that way. I could never do it myself, but I get a real kick out of cosplay. The good ones are pretty talented actors, and SDCon has a lot of good ones.

This guy was nifty: check out those evil contact lenses. That's dedication, man. As I took his leave I thanked him and said, "Be good, Anakin!" And he roared, "NEVER!" Hee.

pics.livejournal.com/jwaneeta/pic/0004pay3/g18

You've got to understand, there were eight billion Obi-Wans and Anakins in the exhibition room. I only took pics of the best. These guys didn't just resemble the actors, their relative heights were perfect.

pics.livejournal.com/jwaneeta/pic/0004h9wx/g18

I don't understand why this Twilek girl didn't suffocate from her body paint, like that poor chick in <i>Goldfinger.</i> But she didn't, yay. Don't ask me to explain that lime green Jedi tunic, though.

And then I met Scott Larson, a swell guy who recently did some neat work for my publisher, and we slagged off the second Star Wars trilogy for half an hour. It's important to use one's time effectively at San Diego Con. :D

As for Pirates of the Carribean it was a very flock of sparrows, as aeshna so pithily observed. All Jack Sparrow all the time. I came up craps in my hunt for Norrington or anything even remotely Norrington related, but I took this pic when about six Jack Sparrows and one Orli Bloom collided in the hall and achieved critical mass. I didn't get all the Sparrows in the frame because, erm, I felt the Orli guy deserved to be seen at close range. *g*

pics.livejournal.com/jwaneeta/pic/0004k6ag/g18

Saw Serenity again at a free screening at the Hyatt, which was even more lavish than the Marriot, in an Italianate kind of way. We opted out of the Browncoats documentary, though, because we had a dinner invite with my boss and dude? I don't think a non-Browncoat could have got in. It was a mob scene.

Oh, and dear lady who plopped down in front of me after the movie started, wearing sparkly bobbing antennae? You are made of rude. Argh.

Let's see, what else? I met my (freelance project) editor, which was cool. I didn't even see the Marvel table, so I guess they're still on a Con-expenditure diet. Strange, that. The big swag item of the con was a cloth tote from Viz Media -- people fought for it.

Oh! Almost forgot! The line for the Adult Swim panel went down the hall, out onto the gallery, stretched the length of that, went back into the hall and met its own beginning. Amazing. I went to the Gays in Comics panel instead, which for some bizarre reason turned into a Marvel-bashing fest by the panelists, all of whom were associated with DC in one form or other. It was hilarious in a strange, are-you-twelve sort of way.

I bugged out early Sunday morning, because the last day of any Con makes me sad. It's melancholy to see the crowd thinning out and peaople starting to pack up the booths, so I skip it.

I got home Sunday afternoon to find the animals well and plump thanks to the lavish care of D and her daughter. I did some laundry and got up early to drive 300 miles to my publisher's company picnic and annual meeting, which was also fun. I rented a PT Cruiser and fell deeply in love with that car. If they have an ethanol version when my old junker finally passes to its reward, that's the vehicle for me.

Oh, and When I got home I found a truly gigantimous mushroom on my lawn. Here it is, with foot for scale. :)

pics.livejournal.com/jwaneeta/pic/0004qk2p/g18

ETA: It got even bigger after that. IT WAS AS BIG AS A PIE OMG.

*waves* Nice to be back catching up on posts. Missed you!
NOWgirl
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by NOWgirl »

Nice review, Jwaneeta! Is that you in those pix, or your friend? I'm sure the boys are just dying to know!
The sweetest woman in the world
Could be the meanest woman in the world
If you make her that way
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

that's her. :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Oops, yeah, that's me. Sorry the post was unclear. :)

(Huh, now all the pics seem to be showing. Mysterious.)
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I work in mysterious ways, Jwan. :biggrin:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

dANdeLION wrote:I work in mysterious ways, Jwan. :biggrin:
My hero! *swoonyswoonswoon*
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

jwaneeta wrote:
dANdeLION wrote:I work in mysterious ways, Jwan. :biggrin:
My hero! *swoonyswoonswoon*
PS: I love that new sig, Lucimay. :clap:
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

You're one of the better looking artists I've come across, Jwan. Not saying much, I know; but darn it, you're cute.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

dANdeLION wrote:You're one of the better looking artists I've come across, Jwan. Not saying much, I know; but darn it, you're cute.
Aw, thanks! To be honest that's a pretty flattering picture. Usually when I smile for the camera I look like one of those tragic little Incan mummies they dig up from time to time. :biggrin:
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

NOWgirl wrote:Nice review, Jwaneeta!
I forgot to ask -- are you the NOWgirl who does comic work too? Someone told me there was another penciler posting in one of the Sci Fi threads, but I looked and looked and couldn't find her.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Haha. NOWgirl is not who she...er...it...er...whatever...seems.

No, the other Member who works in comics is Recluce, (although I can't swear she's a penciler) and the thread I suggested you check out is the "Orson Scott Card - Enders Game and other stories" thread in Gen Sci-Fi. (I'm sorry, but I'm too lazy to link it for you. ;) )

Amusing review btw. :D

--A

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”