WATCH ERRORS!!! Vain - HELP!!!

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Dunno if it's everybody or just me, but I'm having trouble posting stuff today. Keep getting a "page not found" error, and losing my whole post.

I strongly recommend that you copy your post before submitting it.

If it does give an error, then return to the sub-forum index, and re-enter the thread. Then just paste your post in again, and try submit. It seems to work if you've left and returned to the thread. (But not if you just refresh.)

--A

(Edit: Seems that it also works if you refresh, then click to a different page in the thread and paste your reply into the quick reply box on the other page.)
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Avatar wrote:I strongly recommend that you copy your post before submitting it.
Yes. I've had that hair-tearing experience often enough to agree with you.

Post by Avatar »

The problem is, even though I remind myself to do it when I start a post, I forget by the time I finish...I usually remember just as it disappears. :lol:

Anyway, seems to be fine today...and I suspect it was only me. Must be my damn connection...it often has spasms.

--A
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Believe me, Av, it's not just you.

I have a wild hunch: all these recent glitches are a sign of the beginning of the end of KW, just as the Last Chronicles signal the, uh, end of everything about TC as we know it. You see, KW the message board is heading inexorably on a course parallel with SRD's story, so that whatever fate he has in store for the Land will also befall KW, since we are now inextricably linked as his "official" discussion forum. I see only two ways to avoid the almost certain doom we're headed towards:

1) sever KW's link to SRD's site, especially before Fatal Revenant comes out and rocks KW with further instability
OR
2)kidnap SRD and compel him to write an alternate ending for the Last Chrons in which High Lords Jay, Alynna and a reconstituted Vain help to defeat Lord Foul at last, thereby ensuring the continued existence of KW.

Of course, I could be wrong about the whole thing...

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

I just meant I don't think it's happening to everyone on every second post, like it was for me yesterday. :D

Nice theory though...

...RUN!

--A
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Avatar wrote:Dunno if it's everybody or just me, but I'm having trouble posting stuff today. Keep getting a "page not found" error, and losing my whole post.
No, that's expected. That's part of the "Anti-Avatar" mod that I added to the Watch's code.

:P

Seriously, though, I donno what the problem is. I've PMed Vain to see if he had any ideas.

My best guess is that it's because of the sheer size of the Watch. I'm thinking that we may have to start pruning some posts (AKA Mallory's). But I'm really not sure if that would help at all. I'm going to wait to hear from Vain first.

-jay
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

He's said in the past that size was not a problem, but I'm starting to wonder. With this new board version...
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Matrixman wrote:

You see, KW the message board is heading inexorably on a course parallel with SRD's story, so that whatever fate he has in store for the Land will also befall KW, since we are now inextricably linked as his "official" discussion forum.
*sporfle* :lol:
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken

Post by Avatar »

kevinswatch wrote:
Avatar wrote:Dunno if it's everybody or just me, but I'm having trouble posting stuff today. Keep getting a "page not found" error, and losing my whole post.
No, that's expected. That's part of the "Anti-Avatar" mod that I added to the Watch's code.

:P

Anyway, that particular glitch seems to have just been me, it's fine now. (For now anyway. ;) ) The internal server errors though...they're still going strong, although not too frequent thankfully.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

This is odd. I can log in at work, but I can't log in at home....I keep getting an error. Oddly, when I connect to work from home I can log in.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:This is odd. I can log in at work, but I can't log in at home....I keep getting an error. Oddly, when I connect to work from home I can log in.
its intermittent Cail. and it's international...Av, Elfgirl, others outside the states are experiencing the same.

i first noticed it night before last (sunday nite at home). i couldn't get on at all. sql errors.

then, later...maybe a half hour or so, i got on.
then, still later (i had a bit of insomnia) around 2:30 am, i couldn't again.

monday morning at work, no problem. but on my home machine monday evening, no dice.
i was convinced it was our computer except that i talked to another member and he was on the Watch.

Ger (my husband) says he thinks it has to do with the server and the "trunks" that some Watchers in some parts of the country (world) can get on and some can't. he actually babbled out quite a bit of info on this but "trunks" and severs was all i actually understood. heh.

anyway...i'm on now, at work, but only just got on.

danlo called last night. he couldn't get on, creator was playing scrabble with me and he couldn't get on, but i was on for a while till my machine decided to have a memory dump and i had to reboot. when i rebooted, i couldn't get on again. but Esmer was on the whole time, and i spoke with Lord Foul too and he didn't seem to be having a problem. so...

what all this means i've no idea.
i emailed jay, danlo was emailing Vain, and creator said he'd also email them both.

that is all.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Odd again, now it's working at home.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I wasn't able to log in for a few hours...
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

i couldnt get past the home page for hours and hours today.

I kept getting various errors.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Same here.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Everyone quit your bitching!
Sometimes a website go down for a little while....
Or one server that the messageboard relies on goes down for a while....
Or maybe one of the network admins accidentally kills the power to the router that the server is connected to right before he leaves for lunch....
Not that I've ever done that.
But I've read about stuff like that.
Yeah, I read about it once.....

:roll: ;)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

not quite HLT....for some reason I can't get the page to load on one computer, I go to another one on my network and I get on just fine...nobody I've talked to yet can provide any info on how this is possible....very strange indeed, that I'm posting this now, and can't get the page to load on my laptop, but go over to my server/tv unit, and it comes up fine....but it then later on it won't come back up on the same one, I go to the other that previously couldn't log in and it does! wierd is not the word for whatever is happening......I say it's the NSA...... :huh:

:lol:
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

Esmer wrote:not quite HLT....for some reason I can't get the page to load on one computer, I go to another one on my network and I get on just fine...nobody I've talked to yet can provide any info on how this is possible....very strange indeed, that I'm posting this now, and can't get the page to load on my laptop, but go over to my server/tv unit, and it comes up fine....but it then later on it won't come back up on the same one, I go to the other that previously couldn't log in and it does! wierd is not the word for whatever is happening......I say it's the NSA...... :huh:
It's actually the first step of the new "Pay to post" policy introductory campaign. Have you bought a Kevinswatch-subscription for each of your computers? Jay and Vain aren't Bill Gates, they won't let you just buy one copy and distribute it to all your and your family's and friends' computers. Be a good user, cough up the dough.

At least some of you got through to complain. No watch at all for me for 48 hours. That's a long time to ponder if there is intelligent life out there. In the, you know, internet.
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

They've found me!
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS: HLT.

Me either Sev. Nothing at all. Been chillin at danlo's forum though. :D

Anyway, in case anybody missed Jays announcement, is apparently server upgrades.

Oh and Tazz, it's like a fnord. Only you can see it. ;)

--A

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”