3rd chronicles addendum

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

Now that TC is basically a god, his getting bored or dissatisfied with the Land could be a real problem. And it is said that absolute power corrupts absolutely... TC could very easily get into the habit of playing favorites and doing very nasty things to people who don't show him proper respect. Perhaps in time he could become indistinguishable with Lord Foul.

My guess about the acceptance theme is that TC has to learn to accept that no one is perfect, even himself. We learned in White Gold Wielder that Lord Foul liked perfection and despised humans because they weren't it. If TC learned to accept imperfections in others, or realized that his idea of perfection was not too perfect, then he could avoid becoming Foul.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

in what respect is TC a god? he's dead, he's part of the Arch, where does divinity come in?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Some people say LF is a god... others say Covenant and LF are one... making Covenant also a god hehe :)
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I assume the fact that TC has become one with the AoT, yet remains aware and sentient is the basis of the 'TC is a god' idea. Personally, though, I got the impression that TC is now merely an observer, rather than possessing the power to obliterate people as he sees fit. IMHO...
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I assume the fact that TC has become one with the AoT, yet remains aware and sentient is the basis of the 'TC is a god' idea. Personally, though, I got the impression that TC is now merely an observer, rather than possessing the power to obliterate people as he sees fit. IMHO...
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

Wasn't Covenant able to do something to stop the Cavewights' summoning? He didn't sound like it had been particularly hard. I really should read the books again, but I got the idea that when Lord Fould fought him, Covenant was able to absorp the power meant to destroy him. Since LF used up all his power, Covenant should now be as powerful as LF used to be. That's very powerful indeed.

I think the situation likely was comparable to the fight with the Guardian of the Isle of the One Tree, where the Guardian became gradually material when he was hit. I think Covenant used the lessons of this fight and did what the Guardian did, except that he didn't bother to fight back. Yes, I think the Guardian was a ghost too.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I think I do not agree. Remember TC's words to Linden: had LF wanted, he could've dismissed him as easily as a breeze, because he is just a sceptre, one of the Dead. That is hardly a god-like characteristic, hm? And on the absorption of LF's power: I think that while he absorbed it, he also diddipated it into the Arch (being part of it). He did not contain all that power forever IMHO.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Tohrm
Ramen

Post by Tohrm »

There was a thread a while ago that stated that during a reading from SD of part of the 3rd chrons, that LA met roger and felt really uneasy about him. It was in this forum somewhere, but I just can't remember where I read it. Or even who posted it. It has been quite a while since that particular posting. So I am firmly of the belief that Roger is the one who will become the next LF, and that the land would be destroyed when both of the LFs battle TC to destroy the AoT. He can withstand one LF without too many difficulties as has been shown twice already. But two at the same time? I don't think so.
The dead are dead-only the living may hope to resist Despite
KrillLight
Servant of the Land

Just finished reading WGW for the second time

Post by KrillLight »

Here are some things I've been thinking about....
1. At least twice, TC says "Despite can't die", so there can be no doubt that LF will be back.
2. Caer-Caveral broke the law of life, so both TC and LF can come back.
3. The Law is not complete with out the Laws of life and death.
4. If anybody wanted to see TC back as a living, mortal person, if would be LF. LF would be able to attempt to get the white gold from LA by manipulating TC, TC could be analagous to Joan.
lillianrill
Servant of the Land

Post by lillianrill »

damnit!

i was always hellbent on seeing Lord Mhoram turn nasty :(
Hearthcoal
Lord

Post by Hearthcoal »

Well – The idea of the Third Chronicles continues to pique interest. So, I am going to do an encore of a stunt I pulled some time ago.

I am going to place this same post at all of the following topics.

This will accomplish two things:

1. It will annoy a lot of people (sorry folks) by moving all the Third Chronicles topics to the top of the list, temporarily. Not to worry though, they'll drift back down lower in the list soon.

2. Now each of these threads will be linked to each other, sort of a cross reference.

- Hearthcoal

1. Will SRD Ever Write The Last Chronicles??

2. Bad News About The 3rd Chronicles?

3. Possible News About The 3rd Chronicles

4. 3rd chronicles addendum

5. Book 7, contacting Donaldson, the lost Wards

6. Prequel

7. Poll! TC in 3rd chrons...yes, no maybe so?

8. third chronicles, where it takes place

9. Third Chronicles?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”