My ultimate to play TC in a film version

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Mouseglove
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mouseglove »

As I said on another thread about this (not realizing this was the thread for said discussion), I think you're going to need to look less at A-List celebs and look for great casting choices in the not-so-star-powered list, at least according to Hollywood.

And thus I offer the name amongst names, the face amongst faces... he's proven he can do conflicted and snarly, but also genuine and friendly when called for... I give you... Nathan Fillion.

"Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil." -Mouseglove
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Mouseglove wrote:I give you... Nathan Fillion.
Yes, he's come up quite a bit in this forum (usually under his Firefly character's name), so I respect that there is something to it. But, to me, he's a dashing badboy adventure guy. Which makes me tend to think not for this part.

I think that Ralph Fiennes is probably the best Mhoram I could devise.

Here he is with a nose like a rudder (sorta) and a crooked, humane mouth (kinda).
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I like Nathan Fillion, but I think he's too bulky for TC.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Has anyone here thought that Guy Pearce would be a great Covenant?

He's scrawny enough, and the right age (he's just about to turn 40)

ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Elfgirl wrote:Has anyone here thought that Guy Pearce would be a great Covenant?

The first one is quite good i think, especially the beard.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

I really like Guy Pierce and I think he would be great in the role. I also would vote for Oleg Menshikov as he has a great spectrum and is really good at 'conflicted' characters. In fact he is the best in my book at acting those characteristics. Right age etc too.

www.kinomania.ru/stars/m/Menshikov_Oleg/foto.shtml
The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Edinburghemma wrote:I really like Guy Pierce and I think he would be great in the role. I also would vote for Oleg Menshikov as he has a great spectrum and is really good at 'conflicted' characters. In fact he is the best in my book at acting those characteristics. Right age etc too.

www.kinomania.ru/stars/m/Menshikov_Oleg/foto.shtml
What is this? A Russian TCTC? The Kronicles of the Comrade Thomas Kovenant. He visits the Motherland. :lol:
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

pr0nmaster wrote: What is this? A Russian TCTC? The Kronicles of the Comrade Thomas Kovenant. He visits the Motherland. :lol:
:haha: Nazdrovie, comrade!!
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

Peven
Giantfriend

Post by Peven »

Elfgirl wrote:Has anyone here thought that Guy Pearce would be a great Covenant?

inspired choice. you should be a casting director in Hollywood, Elfy. :D
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Thppp! Elfy hottifies everyone she casts.

Oh yeah ... he just screams conflicted bookworm, doesn't he. :wink:
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Wayfriend wrote:Thppp! Elfy hottifies everyone she casts.

Oh yeah ... he just screams conflicted bookworm, doesn't he. :wink:
sure, he's got his hot moments, but dang the boy can carry off skinny/scruffy well! And yeah, maybe as such a well-read, imaginative sort, I SHOULD be doing casting for Hollywood!

casting couch calls! :twisted: for the boys at least...who's gonna be my offsider to 'cast' the women?
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Pardon, if someone else has suggested this.... by why not Hugh Laurie?
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Tons of folk have--in fact there's a thread on him.
fall far and well Pilots!
paradox
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by paradox »

Bale is perfect for the role, since he always gives such depth to a characters psyche. Batman, American Psycho, Equlibrium.. those are pretty complex characters, psychologically speaking (They're all nuts!!! wahahaha) and Thomas Covenant is another crazy character which he can play
And I swear
I'll never do it again
Unless you kinda liked it...
tonyhough
Servant of the Land

Post by tonyhough »

I was on Michael Moorcock's site earlier looking at the casting suggestions to play Elric. Funny (if a little disappointing) how the same actor's names keep coming up here.
I first read the Covenant books a long time ago and return to them every few years. Last time, an actor came to mind and I couldn't shake him off. You might be surprised but it was Irish actor/comedian Dylan Moran. Watch him in Black Books and just tip him over from comedic to tragic and you have the intensity of Covenant. Dylan Moran is an accomplished serious actor (many comedians are), without being a hollywood big name with all the baggage that entails. I honestly think he could do it justice.
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality through not dying.
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Although I know nothing of his actign abililty, he doesn't look gaunt enough and he looks very young. (Not to woory, that just means I'm getting old :) ) I suspect they can change all that if they want.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

This guy?

Dylan Moran
tonyhough wrote:(if a little disappointing) how the same actor's names keep coming up here.
Not that we're supposed to be professionals, but this is probably due to the fact that no one really knows what to look for when casting someone. "He'd be cool" and "He's hot/hawt!" probably isn't enough. :wink:

Superhero movies work a certain way. You get a 'name' for the superhero, in order to establish respect and draw publicity. You have to ask yourself, should the Chronicles be cast that way? Or should they be cast like LOTR, with unknowns and relative unknowns, and the big names belonging to the archtypal roles?
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

I don't believe that the TCTC have the mass appeal to pull people in with out a big name or two
FarFetched
Servant of the Land

Post by FarFetched »

Newb here!

I'm going to have to second Jim Caviezel as a potential Covenant. He's got the gauntness and the wounded, slightly-prophetic, don't-touch-me look down. And he doesn't look half bad after going without a shave for several months. :)

Next choice, Guy Pearce or Christian Bale. :)
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Hmm, don't know any actors with gray eyes, but if we do contact lenses, there are a number of choices. I wouldn't pick anyone too hunky, although it would be a nice boon for the ladies. Gary Oldman is so talented, and the only time I thought he was hunky was in the Dracula movie, all dressed up walking the streets of London in broad daylight. He's very intense, very diverse, so adaptable. But I have a question; wasn't TC in his early 30's in LFB? If that's the movie being done, wouldn't we need someone kind of young-ish? It's easier to age a young person than vice versa. I think Hugh Laurie is great, but can he pass for a young man? I read somewhere that Russell Crowe had been approached and said no. I'm glad; it doesn't fit at all. Please make the movie.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”