Runes Part 1, Chapter 12 - The Verge of Wandering

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

dlbpharmd
Lord

Runes Part 1, Chapter 12 - The Verge of Wandering

Post by dlbpharmd »

As this chapter begins, Linden has just been severely burned by the fiery being that has possessed Anele. Her eyebrows and lashes are burned away, and the Ramen are tending to her injuries. Covenant’s words run through her mind:
It fits. It’s right. You’re the only one who can do this. Find me.
Desperate for information, she confronts Anele again, but not before entrusting the white gold ring to Liand.
“If anything happens to me,” she ordered, “anything at all – anything that scares you – get the hell out of here. Do not try to help me. Take that,” the ring, “and run. Don’t come back until one of the Ramen tells you that I’m alright.”
Linden unsuccessfully probes Anele with her health sense:
“He’s protecting himself. I can’t reach him. There’s a wall of Earthpower in his mind.”
At this point, Linden is forced to turn her attention away from Anele and back to the Ramen and their unanswered questions. Other Ramen have arrived, and Linden joins the group for a meal, and then to face their challenge. Hami begins by reminding the group of Thomas Covenant the Ringthane, who refused the service of the Ranyhyn and faced Fangthane alone. She tells them that they have reasons to trust Linden, because she was hunted by kresh, was a friend to Anele, ate aliantha and saved Sahah from death.

Hami:
“This place we name the Verge of Wandering. It is here that the Ramen first gathered when the Sunbane had driven us from the Plains of Ra. Here we considered how we might fulfill the meaning of our lives in exile…..Here we told the tale of ourselves, and found that the toll of bloodshed had become greater than we could countenance. The Render had exacted too much death. His slaying of the Ranyhyn must cease. Therefore we determined that we would never again subject the meaning of our lives to Fangthane’s ravage.”
She continues:
“Yet we had no power against him, no means by which we might end his malice. We could not impose the relief we craved. For that reason, we swore then, as each generation has sworn anew, that we would not return to the Plains of Ra until the Land’s foe had met his last doom, and would nevermore arise to shed the blood of Ranyhyn.”
And so the long journey of the Ramen began. Traveling southward from the Land, they went from land to land, never finding a home, and once each generation returning to the Verge of Wandering, to scout the border of the Land to determine if the Render was still alive. And every time they scouted the Land, they found no evidence of Lords or of the Ringthane, or any other power which might oppose Lord Foul. Instead, they find that the Haruchai, the former Bloodguard known to the Ramen as the sleepless ones, have titled themselves the Masters of the Land, and have put down any knowledge of Earthpower or of the Land’s history.
“The Ramen have kept faith, what have the Masters done? How will Linden Avery bear the burden of wild magic against the Render, when the Masters have quelled any strength which might have aided her? These questions, and more, we will have answered.”
Stave surges forward to reply.
“Manethrall, you speak harshly of the Masters, but you say little of the Ranyhyn. Did you not guide them into exile?......What has become of them? How are you able to avow that you have kept faith with the past, if you have not been true to the great horses of Ra?”
Linden intervenes in this confrontation, and demands to know how it is that the Ramen just happen to be nearby at the right time when Linden and her companions are fleeing into the mountains. Hami tells Linden that there are two reasons why the Ramen are back in the are of the Land. Hami tells the group of a visit to the Ramen by an Elohim, who told them of croyel, merewives, Sandgorgons, and skurj. The Elohim had also warned of a halfhand, the coming of whom would
“[cause} the Earth to suffer its most dire peril…..”
Spoiler
It seems to me that this just has to be Jeremiah.
Linden then presses for the second reason, and Hami tells her about another stranger named Esmer, who had approached the Ramen about 3 years before, and had persuaded them to hurry to the Verge of Wandering. Esmer had brought the ur-viles to the Ramen, and so the ur-viles had aided the Ramen frequently on their way. And, at this point, the ur-vile wedge appears at the edge of the camp, and right behind him, a man walked into the camp. A man who looked like a Haruchai.
He could have been young or old: his features seemed to refuse the definition, the constriction, of time. Like Stave’s people, he was flat-faced and brown-skinned, strongly built. Like them, he was not especially tall; no taller than Linden herself……Seen from a distance, he could have been taken for Stave’s brother, unscarred and untried.
At first sight, Linden knows beyond doubt that this is the being that had possessed Anele and driven Covenant from Anele’s mind, just shortly before the fiery possessor had scorched her.

Esmer first warns Liand to leave, and then Linden, saying:
“You have become the Wildwielder, as the Elohim knew that you must. Because you spurned their guidance long ago, much will now be lost which might have been preserved. You also have no part in this, and will withdraw.”
What has been lost?

Then Esmer turns to Stave, and his mood changes abruptly:
“I know you, to my enduring cost. You are Stave, Bloodguard and Master, Haruchai. Because of you, I am made to be what I am! Defend yourself, heartless one, lest I destroy you!”
Esmer attacks Stave, and at first Stave is able to defend himself, and says
“ I know not how you have tricked or betrayed the Ramen to friendship, but I deny you. If you do not desist, I will teach you better wisdom.”
Esmer:
“You are mistaken, Haruchai! Your fold sired me! I am your descendent, conceived by Cail among merewives, and given birth by the Dancers of the Sea! Because of the Haruchai, there will be endless havoc!”
Esmer attacks Stave again, and gives the Haruchai a beating like nothing we’ve ever seen. Stave is near death when Esmer leaves him, face down in the dirt.

Linden uses her health sense to see that Stave is barely clinging to life, and says to Esmer
“You bastard, why didn’t you just kill him?”
Esmer replies
“I have seen what you do not. Behold.”
And for the first time in 3 books, spanning seven thousand years, we see Ranyhyn once again.
They were craggy and extreme, full of the essential substance of the Land, with deep chests and mighty shoulders, and a hot smolder of intelligence in their eyes. Their coats gleamed as if they had been brushed and curried ceaselessly for generations, one a roan stallion, the other a dappled grey mare; and their long manes and tails flew like pennons.

In the center of the foreheads, white stars blazed like heraldry, emblems of lineage and Earthpower.

As one, the Ramen bowed low to them.
Esmer:
“This is the true challenge of the Ramen. The Ranyhyn have accepted me. Now they have come to accept you, the Haruchai as well as yourself. And they are precious to me. Their approach stayed my hand. I will not gainsay them.”
The horses advanced across the clearing until they were mere strides from Linden and Stave. There they halted. [Linden] held her breath as they shook their heads and flourished their manes, gazing at her and the Haruchai gravely. The blowing sounds they made may have been greetings.

Then together they bent their forelegs and bowed their noses to the dirt as if in homage.
Last edited by dlbpharmd on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Great dissection, dlb! I love the very name of this place: The Verge of Wandering, at the border of the Land. It so well defines a part of the existence of the Ramen. The later telling of the Ramen story, and their songs, was very poignant. Sad and beautiful at the same time.

A few of the things I found interesting about this chapter are:

How Esmer creates a space to fight Stave with geysers of rock and dirt to keep everyone away... exactly like the merewives create waterspouts at sea.

We find out almost immediately who and what Esmer is. Usually, we are left to try to figure characters out for a long time -- Anele, Vain, Findail, Amok, Elena... But SRD decided to simply inform us of Esmer's heritage right away. Not to say that there isn't more that we don't know :)

We're also starting to see the deeper levels of "Who can I trust?" coming into play. Esmer is the being who banished Covenant, yet who loves and is honored by the Ranyhyn and Ramen??? ... ... The Elohim also came and spoke to the journeying Ramen? ... ... Can the various manifestations of Anele's madness and his possessors be trusted? (surely Linden trusts Anele himself) ... ... what do the ur-viles want? I suspect that loyalties are going to shift quite often throughout the story, like in the Gap series.

It's too bad that after all his questions and distrust, Stave is unable to see the approach of the Ranyhyn. Surely it would have gladdened his heart.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Relayer wrote: We find out almost immediately who and what Esmer is. Usually, we are left to try to figure characters out for a long time -- Anele, Vain, Findail, Amok, Elena... But SRD decided to simply inform us of Esmer's heritage right away. Not to say that there isn't more that we don't know :)
You're right, many of SRD's pivotal characters are shrouded in mystery throughout his stories. It's almost a treat to learn so much about Esmer in a mere few pages. If SRD is willing to divulge so much about Esmer in this chapter, I can't imagine what will be revealed later on.

Speaking of figuring out characters, I really like the ambiguity of the ur-viles. We still aren't certain whether or not they show up to watch over Linden, or if they are compelled in some fashion by Esmer. As the dark wedge of demondim-spawn appear at the edge of the clearing, Linden wonders
Were they here because Hami had summoned Esmer? Or because Linden herself was in danger?
And as Esmer and Stave fight each other, we are told
...the ur-viles did not enter the conflict. They appeared to have no interest in Stave's plight. They had come for some other purpose and ignored everything else.
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:x Not fair! He gets the cool chapter, with the cool name, where all the intense stuff happens!!! nOOb luck! Very good dissection Don! :wink:
fall far and well Pilots!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Does Esmer revere the Ranyhyn because of his Haruchai or Elohim heritiage? It seems that from the merewives he should hate all things of Earthpower.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

dlbpharmd wrote:Does Esmer revere the Ranyhyn because of his Haruchai or Elohim heritiage? It seems that from the merewives he should hate all things of Earthpower.
I never really thought about it, but he certainly acts like a Haruchai in the presence of the Ranyhyn. The Elohim might respect the Ranyhyn, but the Haruchai definitely revere them. When Esmer deferred to the will of the Ranyhyn when fighting Stave, I was instantly reminded of the Haruchai devotion to the horses.

I assumed that there is also something else going between the Ranyhyn and Esmer. A little is revealed later on, but if Esmer's mind is literally split thanks to his heritage, I wonder how he was able to pull himself out of his rage against Stave. Either the will of the Ranyhyn is beyond comprehension, or Esmer's devotion to them transcends his torn personality.
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I think it's the Haruchai in him.

And I'm especially intrigued by his comment,
Because of the Haruchai, there will be endless havoc!
He seems to speak of havoc yet to come. Is this a prophecy of the path the masters will take? Or something else...even more dire perhaps?

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Hi guys. Catching up.

All the high points have been discussed, good job dlb, so I will add some odd things:

:?: Linden uses her percipience to "possess" Anele. Without qualms. Should we presume that this particular moral dilemma is resolved on her part?

:?: Linden says the mush on her trencher tastes like "spelt bread". I had to look that one up. Turns out, it doesn't mean the bread was magical.

:?: What a crappy poem. What happened to "Tail of the Sky, Mane of the World" type stuff? This is too erudite for a nomadic exiled people.

:?: The Ramen revere Covenant for not riding the Ranyhyn. Apparently, they forget his bargain that almost made them extinct.

:?: "The Land would never be saved by people who believed and judged as the Ramen did." Apparently, the Ramen have simply given up on the Land. "We'll come back when Foul is dead." In a way, this is every bit as absolute and uncompromising - and every bit as non-helpful - as what the Haruchai have done in becoming the Masters. They've abandoned the Land in it's need.

:?: Hami says, "The Render flourishes once again." Huh?!?! Did we see that?

:?: Esmer says to Linden, "Because you have spurned [the Elohim's] guidance long ago, much will be lost that might have been preserved." What damage was done by Covenant keeping his ring until Foul was put to bed? I can only think of one obvious thing - the Law of Life was broken. Which, combined with the earlier breaking of the Law of Death, has led to the breaking of the Law of Time.

- - - - - - - -

Okay, let me wrap up something from the last chapter's speculation.

It was Esmer who commanded Anele, and who dismissed Covenant's shade. Honestly, I had forgotten.

But it was NOT Esmer who radiated the heat and burned Linden. This is stated as clearly. Also as clearly, it is stated that Esmer serves this other entity.

Aha! I think I can speculate better on who this is.

Esmer is a conflicted individual. Because of his dual heritage as Haruchai and Elohim. (Is he an Elohai? Or a Haruhim?)

And he certainly hates his Haruchai side. He blames them for endless havoc, and heartlessness. (Traits which he himself does not have in small measure.)

Which leaves him with a clear preference for his other half.

Consider that he shows up among the Ramen at just about the same time as the "Beware the half-hand" guy.

Also, consider the evident antipathy of the Elohim for the Haruchai which was demonstrated in their visit to Mithil Stonedown. The enmity between these two factions may have arisen for more reasons than the Masters form of oppression.

(And then there's their actions in Elemesnedene ... is it plausible that the eviction of the Haruchai was to prevent their interference? They lie. And the Haruchai were incapable against the assembled might of Elemesnedene.)

Anyway ... then there are the references to magma and scoria when Anele is possessed with fire. References which, have been noted, are resonant of skurj. Which are involved with the breaking of the Durance.

So I conclude, from the evidence so far (and I can and will change my mind!): Esmer serves Kastenessen. He serves some Elohim. Grandpa makes the most sense.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Good points, WF.

How is it that the Ramen know the names of the Ranyhyn, and seem to know their thoughts and intentions as well? It's as if there is some kind of telepathy going on between the Ramen and the Ranyhyn.
Spoiler
At some point in the book, Esmer says that he serves Kastenessen "utterly."
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

WF, good points. A few thoughts...
Wayfriend wrote::?: Linden says the mush on her trencher tastes like "spelt bread". I had to look that one up. Turns out, it doesn't mean the bread was magical.
LOL. SRD must like to eat healthy. But I was a bit surprised that Linden was familiar with it. Is there a Whole Foods in the town where she lives?
Wayfriend wrote::?: Hami says, "The Render flourishes once again." Huh?!?! Did we see that?
Between things like Kevin's Dirt, kresh, etc. they've apparently determined that he's back (and they seem to be right). Plus, this is another of the hints that make me suspect that the Ramen have more abilities/intuition/earthsight than they're letting on.

But there was a long time between the end of the Sunbane and the onset of the Dirt. Surely the Ramen had returned numerous times to the Verge during that timeframe and saw the Land was heaing. Why did they not return to the Plains of Ra? Is it simply that they knew that Fangthane had not "met his final doom"? How so? Could the Ranyhyn communicate this to them? If they wanted, they could certainly "force" the Ramen to return to the Land, simply by going there themselves.
Wayfriend wrote:Consider that he shows up among the Ramen at just about the same time as the "Beware the half-hand" guy.
I've wondered if in fact the Elohim was Esmer... if Esmer has the same shape-shifting abilties that the other Elohim have.
Wayfriend wrote:Also, consider the evident antipathy of the Elohim for the Haruchai which was demonstrated in their visit to Mithil Stonedown. The enmity between these two factions may have arisen for more reasons than the Masters form of oppression.
Interesting. The Elohim are Earthpower incarnate. Yet the Haruchai are attempting to suppress all use of Earthpower... perhaps this threatens the Elohim in some way, perhaps their essence must be expressed for their existence to have meaning. This could also explain some of Esmer's hatred for them.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Return to “Last Chronicles”