The passage that sticks...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Ozowen
Servant of the Land

Post by Ozowen »

Heaps of great passages.
Covenant going mthrough the Clave like a hot knife through butter caused me to miss my train stop first time I read it.
But other winners are:
The rape
The rearing of the Ranhyhin
"I match you Raver, hate for hate...."
Troy's promise to pay the price.
Foamfollower in Hotash Slay: The Pure One
Lord Mhoram's Victory
The Haruchai "glad" to see the Giants
The Caamora at the Grieve
The demise of the Kemper: Findail's unglad action.
Brinn and the Guardian of the One Tree.
The Soulbiter
Nom
Hollian's death
Hile Troy's death
Covenant's sacrifice and Foul's failure.
I know not how to say Farewell,
When Farewell is the word
That stays alone for me to say
Or will be heard.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Ozowen wrote:The Soulbiter
How so?
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

I don't know if this one was mentioned yet but the scene where Linden is possessed by a Raver, was pretty powerful for me - among many more. In my signature below was a passage.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
Earthpower
Servant of the Land

Post by Earthpower »

When TC frees all the Giants souls with wildmagic. That was the most touching scene that sticks out in my mind by far.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Good choice. I recall supressing the welling of tears the first time I read it.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Niftium
Woodhelvennin

Post by Niftium »

Favorite of all seven thus far: TC swearing at Foul as the Sunbane sweeps into Andelain.

Yes, it's awful, but it's awfully powerful.
Herem
Stonedownor

Post by Herem »

"Coercri", Covenant's caamora for the murdered Giants of the Grieve is an obvious one and much-quoted above, but no less powerful for that. It becomes all the more poignant in....

...."The Banefire", Covenant trying to burn away Foul's venom despite Linden's misguided attempts to stop him. The rending of the Raver by Nom, Honninscrave's last stand. I'd quote the whole of this chapter if I could, in my opinion the finest of the whole Chronicles.

"Also love in the world" and "Aftermath", for Linden and Covenant's brief and ultimately doomed love coming to fruition. I know this isn't an opinion everyone on here shares, but this felt so right to me, and is an essential part of the story of WGW, and ultimately Runes.

The Cavern of the One Tree.

"Garrotting Deep". The desperation of the Warward and Troy confronted by the awesome power of the Forestal. Mhoram is staggered by the sheer force of Caerroill Wildwood's voice....Fleshharrower hangs garrotted on the hill of Gallows Howe- but wait, who's that coming from Rivenrock?

The tales of Runnik and Tull from the mission to Seareach in TIW. Tull's reaction to Troy's over-eager questioning is heartrending and confirms what the reader already dreads.

"Colossus"

"Nom"

"Lena" and aftermath, Covenant pursued by the beating of black vulture wings, Triock's attack and the dawn of the message....

"Scion of Stone" from Runes- the pacing of this chapter is superb, as
Spoiler
Anele tells his tale of the destruction of the One Forest and his parents, while kresh assault the questors - but the urgency of Anele's words commands Linden's absolute attention.
"Hints" from Runes.

The climax of WGW, for me the finest of the seven books thus far:

"Hold Possession", Linden battles with the Raver, Covenant lays down his life in a manner reminiscent of Brinn at the One Tree....

...."The Sun-Sage". Linden's grief is transcended by the creation of the new Staff of Law and the healing of the Sunbane....

....."Farewell, beloved." This needs no further comment, absolutely beautiful.
"I desire to be understood"
WolfMann63
Servant of the Land

Post by WolfMann63 »

For Trapper:
With an effort, Mhoram smiled gently. But the somberness of his glance overshadowed his smile. He met Covenant's eyes unwaveringly, and when he spoke, his voice was sad. "Ah, my friend, what will you do?"

The uncritical softness of the question caught Covenant by the throat. He was not prepared for such sympathy. With difficulty, he answered, "I'll survive."

Mhoram nodded slowly, and a moment later he turned away, back toward the room. As he reached the door, he said, "I am late. The Council waits for me. I must go."

But before the Lord could leave, Covenant called after him, "Why aren't you the High Lord?" He was trying to find some way to thank Mhoram. "Don't they appreciate you around here?"

Over his shoulder, Mhoram replied simply, "My time has not yet come." Then he left the room, closing the door carefully behind him.
As for my own passage, it's so hard to pick just one, but one moment that really sticks out for me is when the Eldest at the Loresraat extends his hand to help Covenant dismount, and TC drops his ring into it, instead.

That, and the short grieving song that Mhoram sings:
Death is passing on --
The making way of life and time for life.
Hate dying and killing, not death.
Be still, heart:
make no expostulation.
Hold peace and grief,
and be still.
I know that there's a longer version of it in LFB, but unfortunately I've lost that one during a move :cry:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In [u]Lord Foul's Bane[/u] was wrote:Death reaps the beauty of the world -
bundles old crops to hasten new.
Be still, heart:
hold peace.
Growing is better than decay:
I hear the blade which severs life from life.
Be still, peace:
hold heart.
Death is passing on -
the making way of life and time for life.
Hate dying and killing, not death.
Be still, heart:
make no expostulation.
Hold peace and grief
and be still.
WolfMann63
Servant of the Land

Post by WolfMann63 »

Ah, thank you, Wayfriend...it's high time that I purchased the first chronicles, yet again (IIRC, that would make the 4th set I've owned, and will once again read to tatters :D)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In [u]Lord Foul's Bane[/u] was wrote:"Another?" Foamfollower returned. "In two words, a story sadder than the first. Say no more - with one word you will make me weep."
In [u]The Power That Preserves[/u] was wrote:"How is it possible that you can loathe or love where you do not believe?"

"Nevertheless."

"How is it possible to disbelieve where you loathe or love?"

"Still."
Emphasis mine.
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

WolfMann63 wrote:For Trapper:
With an effort, Mhoram smiled gently. But the somberness of his glance overshadowed his smile. He met Covenant's eyes unwaveringly, and when he spoke, his voice was sad. "Ah, my friend, what will you do?"

The uncritical softness of the question caught Covenant by the throat. He was not prepared for such sympathy. With difficulty, he answered, "I'll survive."

Mhoram nodded slowly, and a moment later he turned away, back toward the room. As he reached the door, he said, "I am late. The Council waits for me. I must go."

But before the Lord could leave, Covenant called after him, "Why aren't you the High Lord?" He was trying to find some way to thank Mhoram. "Don't they appreciate you around here?"

Over his shoulder, Mhoram replied simply, "My time has not yet come." Then he left the room, closing the door carefully behind him.
Thanks WolfMann, and welcome to the Watch. :D
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Herem wrote:"Coercri", Covenant's caamora for the murdered Giants of the Grieve is an obvious one and much-quoted above, but no less powerful for that. It becomes all the more poignant in....
Yes, it is much-quoted, and I never understand why. I don't recall it causing any noticable emotional reaction in me at all. But I think I'm less attached to the Giants than most.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Kinslaughterer summoning the tsunami.

"Nom"

Revelwood burning

Trell's Desecration
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

CovenantJr wrote:Yes, it is much-quoted, and I never understand why. I don't recall it causing any noticable emotional reaction in me at all. But I think I'm less attached to the Giants than most.
8O It's astonishing how different people can be, eh? :lol: I can't imagine anything more powerful than that scene. "Seeing" the Haruchai build a fire, us and them understanding why. Hearing Foamfollower's words again, this time seeing things happen around them. The Search's extreme reactions, and Linden's reaction to their reactions. The Haruchai stepping in Covenant's way, then stepping aside. And his freeing of the dead. For me, there's no more powerful moment in all TCTC.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

CovenantJr wrote:
Herem wrote:"Coercri", Covenant's caamora for the murdered Giants of the Grieve is an obvious one and much-quoted above, but no less powerful for that. It becomes all the more poignant in....
Yes, it is much-quoted, and I never understand why. I don't recall it causing any noticable emotional reaction in me at all. But I think I'm less attached to the Giants than most.
I agree, i even went back and read the chapter again after it was mentioned frequently, but while good, i wasnt overly moved.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

The passage that sticks...

Post by SleeplessOne »

having recently read ROTE and then LFB again, here are some moments that stuck :

ROTE :
Spoiler
the scene with Roger and Linden in the storm, and Lytton's subsequent intervention, was exhilarating

Linden and co.'s first passage through a caesure .. the sense of dislocation and chaos was amazing, I almost felt nauseous trying to comprehend the wrongness of the concept; one of the most powerful chapters in the chronicles imo ..

Esmer's brutal hammering of Stave

the very ground around Esmer erupting, and his bizarre bipolar behaviour

the appearances by Anele's fiery possessor

the return of the Despiser !!

LFB :

Covenant's recollections of the leprosarium, particularly that cheery 'Kill yourself' gent ..

that creepy story Soranal tells of Jehannum's little jaunt to Soaring Woodhelvin, particularly this line, which chilled me for some reason :
He passed among us with dark hints and spite in his mouth, casting sly ridicule on our crafts and customs. ..... In that time, Jehannum's hints turned to open foretelling of doom
Foamfollwer's legendary jest "with one word you shall make me weep"

the blood red moon !!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Warmark wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:
I agree, i even went back and read the chapter again after it was mentioned frequently, but while good, i wasnt overly moved.
Yeah...could it be because we're from the cynical side of the Atlantic, and most of the people who praise that scene are from the gushing, soppy side? :lol:

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”