Will I like other Heinlein books?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Lord Foul wrote:Like them all about equally; found it impressive that the ideals Troopers espouses are nearly the antithesis of those in Stranger. Also: his characters are a bit too pulp comic to me, and he usually always has a "mouthpiece" character that represents his own views.
That's what I think, too.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Menolly wrote:He read TCTC when he was 10 years old, so I never told him about The Gap cycle. I still haven’t read The Gap yet, and strongly suspect I never will. This doesn’t mean I won’t let Beorn read it. What do y’all think? Is it OK for a 13 year old, or should I give it a couple more years?
Uh. Too tough to call. TRS is pretty graphic, in terms of sex and violence. You should read it yourself first really, to have an idea of whether or not you should recommend it to him. Me, I'd probably wait a couple years...

--A
Astavyastataa Kadna
Bloodguard

Post by Astavyastataa Kadna »

Menolly wrote:He read TCTC when he was 10 years old, so I never told him about The Gap cycle. I still haven’t read The Gap yet, and strongly suspect I never will. This doesn’t mean I won’t let Beorn read it. What do y’all think? Is it OK for a 13 year old, or should I give it a couple more years?
Uh. Too tough to call. TRS is pretty graphic, in terms of sex and violence. You should read it yourself first really, to have an idea of whether or not you should recommend it to him. Me, I'd probably wait a couple years...

--A
I agree wholeheartedly! VERY Graphic degrading sexual content. Read it yourself before you let even an older teenager read it.

Post by Avatar »

Depends on the kid too though.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Thanks for the input guys.

But I know most likely I will never read The Gap cycle. From what I've read about it here on the Watch it's pretty much enough for me to decide that. However, just because I'm a prude on some things doesn't mean I limit Beorn's choices because of it.

Hmm...maybe I'll see if Hyperception has the time and inclination to read the cycle first. I trust his judgement regarding what Beorn should read...

Post by Avatar »

*shrug* They're good books. You shouldn't be put off.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Yes, I know. But I really do self limit myself on what I choose to read. A sad fault, I know. Yet, I read so slowly, I'll always have a "to be read" list waiting, even with the self limitations, kwim?

...and I am beginning to think I should discuss this somehwere else, as it has nothing to do with Heinlein...

Is there a thread somewhere that discusses why Watchers choose to read what they read? With the potentiality of influencing others?
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Menolly wrote:Is it OK for a 13 year old, or should I give it a couple more years?
I wouldn't recommend a 13 year old reading the Gap books. Like you mentioned, wait a couple more years. The Gap books are most excellent though and without a doubt you should read them. It's a toss up for me between the Chronicles vs. the Gap.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

If I can presume to interupt, recommends

Post by taraswizard »

I'm just butting into your convo. For Beorn, Podkayne of Mars, might be a recommend, it's not usually classified with the Heinlein juveniles and many Heinlein fans detest, despise and abbhor the book. However, IIRC, I was most likely a little younger than Beorn is and it was the first book I ever picked out for myself from the local public library to read. When I read it I thought it was the coolest thing in the world and I discovered SF through it. It's not as epic as Citizen of the Galaxy.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thank you taraswizard. I will look for it.

:::btw, I keep debating if I'm ready to introduce him to Zelazny's Amber yet. I can just see the discussions forthcoming. They're all an easy read for him, that is not what concerns me...:::
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Of the few Heinlein books I've read, SiaSL is definitely my favorite. It's one of my favorite books of all books, as a matter of fact. Time Enough for Love is my second favorite of Heinlein's. I suppose there's hope of liking other stuff of his if you don't like Stranger, and Av is certainly a better one to know about that, but... Wow.

Not that Stranger is perfect. I think lots of people don't like the whole second half. After the trial, it goes downhill for me. But the first half is worth anything.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”