Country Music: Misunderstood or Evil?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

johnny cash was good... i liked him anyway... as for country music being misunderstood or evil, its neither :P

(admittedly i couldn't be bothered to read the rest of this thread)
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Frankly, I think country music should be put on a strict program of euthanasia and then its corpse baked in hot oil and fed to starving children in Ethiopia. So it's saying a LOT if I so much as tolerate one of their artists--namely Johnny Cash.

I just like that he respected other music like the Nine Inch Nails stuff and saw the value in other genres. Most country hicks in the music business I see go, "Man forget dat--we're just gonna do our own thang, ya know?" No, I don't know.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

no i dont know, i never went to college, and i never learn to respect your music, i'm jsut gunna sing my country songs and think i'm the best in the world :)

so there.

heh...
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

New country music has no soul. Ever since Dolly Pardon came around with her huge fake knockers, big blond hair, sequined gowns and permanant plastic smile that is what today's country is all about. Camaro's and glitter. Those morons on GAC have never seen a horse in thier whole pathetic lives and most don't even write the music they play. I put them down there with Spear Brittany. My dad played classic country music like CCR and Alabama and Willie Nelson Jr. I hate sellouts that just put on cowboy costumes and play the part of real musicians.
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Bumped by a spammer. I deleted the spam, but I thought, "why not?"
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

*Looks at his old posts*

Ah, misguided youth. I still don't enjoy country, but I'm far less belligerent against it.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I don't hate any music....except disco...grrrrrrr....but country has never been a music form I've ever been able to enjoy. There isn't anything about me that can related to its feel or message.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

There is a lot of hate in this thread...hate leads to suffering....

I used to be a bigger country fan than I am now. Videos killed country music just like it did rock. Now someone can look like Adonis, wear blue jeans and a cowboy hat and become famous, in spite of the fact that he won't be able to carry a tune in a bucket. Women are the same way.

Country music started going to hell when Billy Ray Cyrus sang "Achy Breaky Heart."

I do like Waylon Jennings, Don Williams, Johnny Cash (of course!) - I only like Toby Keith now.
Last edited by dlbpharmd on Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

A few years ago, a friend taped me a copy of an album by the late Marty Robbins in an effort to spark my interest. I found that I was sympathetic to his style of country. It was a very simple approach: just his lean, honest vocals against a sparse instrumental background. It was free of the contrivances that I hear in today's country music hit parades. There was a pure sense of expression in Marty's voice that transcended genre. His singing had a quality of humble sadness that I found moving. No fake cowboy costumes and posturing here, just a man telling it like it is.

I haven't listened to any Johnny Cash, though recently I did read his 1997 autobiography. Normally I don't read autobios, but a co-worker offered me his copy, so hey, I went for it. It's actually a good, compelling read. You don't have to like or understand country music to appreciate the story of an amazing life lived. It seems to me Cash was in his way as rebellious as any rock 'n' roll teenager. He didn't conform to the Nashville music establishment: he was an outsider himself.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Marty Robbins was great - he's well known for story songs with a Southwestern flavor - El Paso, Ballad of the Alamo, Streets of Laredo, etc.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

danlo's top ten country songs:
Sure Love-Hal Ketcham
Long Way Home-Dwight Yoakum
Four Strong Winds-Ian Tyson (performed by Neil Young and many others)
Okie from Muskogee-Merle Hagard
You Never Even Called Me by My Name-David Allan Coe
Folsom Prison Blues-Johnny Cash
Broken Wing-Martina McBride
Me and the Eagle-Steve Earle
Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mothers-Ray Wylie Hubbard
Burn-Jo Dee Messina
fall far and well Pilots!
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

danlo wrote:danlo's top ten country songs:
Sure Love-Hal Ketcham
Long Way Home-Dwight Yoakum
Four Strong Winds-Ian Tyson (performed by Neil Young and many others)
Okie from Muskogee-Merle Hagard
You Never Even Called Me by My Name-David Allan Coe
Folsom Prison Blues-Johnny Cash
Broken Wing-Martina McBride
Me and the Eagle-Steve Earle
Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mothers-Ray Wylie Hubbard
Burn-Jo Dee Messina

A good list danlo. Add:

"Small Town Saturday Night" by Hal Ketchum
"Nobody's Girl" Reckless Kelly
"Heartache Spoken Here" Warren Zevon/Dwight Yoakam
"Sweet Suzanne" Buzzin' Cousins
"Parallel Bars" Robbie Fulks/and the girls who does the claratin ads now whose name I have forgotten.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The greatest two country songs of all time haven't been mentioned?

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" and "Always On My Mind".

Honorable mention to Dolly's version of "I Will Always Love You".
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

actually I was going to add Small Town Saturday Night (I still can't believe I sold my two Hal CDs in Silver City when I was desperate! kicks self repeatedly--guess who's going shopping today?) I love almost anything Dwight puts out and Delbert McClintock-when you can understand him :biggrin: )

I should add Jim Lauderdale's You Don't Seem to Miss Me as performed by Patti Loveless and George Jones
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

danlo wrote:actually I was going to add Small Town Saturday Night (I still can't believe I sold my two Hal CDs in Silver City when I was desperate! kicks self repeatedly--guess who's going shopping today?) I love almost anything Dwight puts out and Delbert McClintock-when you can understand him :biggrin: )

I should add Jim Lauderdale's You Don't Seem to Miss Me as performed by Patti Loveless and George Jones

Lauderdale is a great writer. Not as great a performer. I saw him, John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett (who has some GREAT stuff), and Joe Ely all perform together. It was cool.

Lyle's greatest? "LA County" "Creeps Like Me" "You'rew Not From texas" "Fiona".
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Oh I love Creeps Like Me! Lyle's great, kinda tuff to look at...but great nonetheless
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

What about "Blue Eyes Cryin' In The Rain"?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Okay, I'll admit it: I own one country CD. Emmylou Harris's Wrecking Ball.

But, in my defense, there is a Jimi Hendrix tune on there. :)
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

A Gunslinger wrote: Lauderdale is a great writer. Not as great a performer. I saw him, John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett (who has some GREAT stuff), and Joe Ely all perform together. It was cool.

Lyle's greatest? "LA County" "Creeps Like Me" "You'rew Not From texas" "Fiona".
When we lived in St Louis, we got free tickets to Robert Cray whom I was kind of.....eh..about but, hey they were free tickets so what the hell! John Hiatt opened for him and I've been a Hiatt fan ever since!

Lovett? I'm not real familiar with him but from what I have heard, referreing to him simply as a "country music singer" is an insult. You're Not From Texas? Killer tune!

And then there is Emmylou Harris. I have been a fan of hers for years and years. Back in the late 70's or early 80's, Rolling Stone (when they still had some relevence....) referred to her as "Nashville's solitary beacon of good taste". That is still somewhat true as far as I'm concerned.
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

please don't leave Patsy and Loretta out....i love those girls. :biggrin:
ooh and Tammy. 8)

and of course, The Hankster.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]