New UK Trade Paperback Edition

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

I'm Murrin
Are you?

New UK Trade Paperback Edition

Post by I'm Murrin »

Spotted this in Waterstone's today: A new collected edition of Mordant's Need, in a big trade paperback format.

Hadn't heard anything about it here, so thought people'd like to know.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Very nice!

I'll say it again: I tend to like the UK covers for SRD's books more than the North American ones.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's interesting seeing these get a new release; I understand the series never sold as well as it should have, and a lot of people who might've heard of Thomas Covenant don't know about Mordant's Need. Perhaps with the Last Chronicles coming out the publisher decided they'd try cashing in on it by republishing his older, overlooked work.
This new edition seems great, though, because it's all in one volme, it looks good, and it's a nice big one that'll get it noticed on the shelves.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

It is telling that there is a UK re-release of Mordant's Need, but nothing on this side of the pond. I haven't seen anything locally, at any rate.

I don't know how well MN sold in the UK compared to N America, but SRD's past comments in the GI do suggest that all his books have done better over there than over here, so it makes sense that a UK audience would get more attention. (Though I would think it was the US sales of the 1st and 2nd Chronicles that in large part secured SRD's financial well-being in the first place.)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I've seen re-issues of a lot of SRD books over here since Runes came out. Of everything in fact, except the Gap cycle.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Something else I noticed today: Spine out on the bookshelf, this new edition matches the UK TPB of Runes (except it'[s about 1cm taller, for some reason).
Covenant
Servant of the Land

Post by Covenant »

I bought these two books in Hard Back when they was first issued on the back of Totally loving the TC Books and I Loved them. :-)
I have Always wondered you know, what do you call a 2 Book Series, does anyone know please?
I have just ordered the one volume version on Amazon UK and I can not wait to read them again after all these years. :-)
Peace
Andrew.

Post by Avatar »

Technically I believe it's called a Duology. Sounds awful though, dunnit? :lol:

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Better than a Twobookachee... :P however Twobookachee does have a nice percussive resonance... :biggrin:
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Avatar »

Danlo - One of natures drummers. ;) :lol:

--A
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I was going to buy this, but it was very poor quality and already looked pre-read on the shelf. I'll have to get Borders to order in some hardcovers.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

danlo wrote:Better than a Twobookachee... :P however Twobookachee does have a nice percussive resonance... :biggrin:
Twobookachee? Tubukachi? Sounds like a new videogame-toy-tamagochi gimmick from Nintendo to me:)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus

Return to “Mordant's Need”