What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Emotional Leper wrote:
Avatar wrote:Sucked in by Feist once again, am re-reading the Riftwar books. On Silverthorn already.

--A
Betrayl at Kronder was the best computer game ever released.
You can download it for free on the internets at various places. Legally, too, as Sierra released it as freeware a few years before it went Defunct.

It's one of the greatest games of all time, and the best computer RPG I ever played. If you can actually find a copy, or want to eBay one, of the original game on CD, it's well worth it over the downloaded version, as it has orchestrated music and a few extras video clips on CD.

I've never read any of the Riftwar Series (just couldn't get into it,) but the story behind BAK was excellent.
B&
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Inexplicably, this latest offering by acclaimed author C. S. Friedman has been flying under the radar since last January. And given its quality, this sad state of affairs continues to baffle me. Feast of Souls marks Friedman's return to the fantasy genre. That, in and of itself, should be reason enough to buy this book! Like many other readers, I have been waiting for this moment since Crown of Shadows was published.

And yet, having read both Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and Williams' Shadowplay earlier this year, I decided to wait a while before giving this one a chance. I try to balance everything by reading titles from various publishers -- an attempt to spread the joy, if you will. However, electing to wait before reading Feast of Souls proved to be a dumb move on my part, for the first volume of the Magister trilogy is without a doubt the very best of Daw Books' "big guns" of 2007.

More epic than dark fantasy this time around, Feast of Souls is a compelling opening chapter in a tale which appears vaster in scope than anything C. S. Friedman has written up until this point. Having said that, I feel that it's also the least self-contained novel the author has ever written. Whereas each volume of the Coldfire trilogy was more or less stand-alone -- even though part of an overall story arc -- Feast of Souls is definitely an introduction to a much more ambitious and complex fantasy epic.

Imaginative and entertaining, with an ending that I never saw coming, Feast of Souls is probably the most underrated fantasy book of 2007. Give C. S. Friedman's latest a shot, lest it remains this year's best-kept secret!

Check the blog for the full review. :)

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Lucimay wrote:
Spiral Jacobs wrote:I finally started on Reaper's Gale yesterday, yay. I feared I'd have to re-read stuff first, but I managed to get into it rather quickly, after browsing a bit through Midnight Tides and The Bonehunters.

I'm only about a 100 pages in, and already Erikson's given me a few 'whoa' moments.
oh yeah!!! finished it about a week or so ago!! Fabulous! there are some great moments!!
Like when Icarium steps of the boat and the gods starts weeping? Oh man. I'm gonna quit my job and read full-time.
gyrehead
Woodhelvennin

Post by gyrehead »

Currently going back and forth between Cities of Coin and Spice by Catherynne Valente and bits and pieces of the second volume of Martin's Dreamsongs
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Emotional Leper wrote:
Emotional Leper wrote:
Avatar wrote:Sucked in by Feist once again, am re-reading the Riftwar books. On Silverthorn already.

--A
Betrayl at Kronder was the best computer game ever released.
You can download it for free on the internets at various places. Legally, too, as Sierra released it as freeware a few years before it went Defunct.
Yeah? I'll have to checkmy favourite Abandonware sites.

Anyway, read Smoke & Mirrors and squeezed in all 3 Krondor interludes this weekend (Betrayal, Assassins & Tear of the Gods) while waiting for my Darkness at Sethanon to be returned (couldn't wait), but I've got it now. So that, then on to the Serpent War series. (This is as far as I go, both in that I don't own any of his others, and in that they went rapidly downhill from Shards of a Broken Crown IMO.)

--A
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Gyrehead, what bits and pieces specifically? I am a big fan of Martin also, and have the "Rretrospective" collection, which is an older version of the two Dreamsongs volumes. I think that a lot of his shorter works are just brilliant. "Pear-shaped Man" always creeps me out, but I'm not sure if that would be in volume 2 or 1 of Dreamsongs.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Could you tell us this Martin's first name? I know GRR Martin, but of whom dost thou speak? :?
fall far and well Pilots!
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Sorry, danlo. This is the same George RR Martin. "A Rretrospective" and "Dreamsongs Vol1 & 2" are two versions of short fiction collections of his, largely stuff from the late 70s and early 80s. Pre Song of Ice and Fire stuff. I don't think Dreamsongs has officially been released in the US yet, though I think it has overseas.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Cool! Good to know (I need to announce that at the Martin forum at the Hangar the idea of which was stolen by the Watch.)I've read Tuf Voyaging and a couple of Wild Cards...but need to read older stuff like Windhaven and Fevre Dream.
Last edited by danlo on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Fevre Dream was great. Windhaven, while it had it's moments, was just ok, IMO. But make sure you check out his first novel, Dying Of The Light, which is probably my favorite pre-Ice and Fire novel. It's short, but very poignant.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I loved WINDHAVEN because of the experience of flying. Can't remember the rest, it was decades ago.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I bought this book for my son and after he finished it I thought I would read through it to see what kind of reading it was. Well its definetly on a young to young adult level but dang if I didnt find it a very entertaining read. The Last Apprentice: Curse of the Bane. However its the second book of a series.

So now Ive ordered the first and third.

"The Last Apprentice (Revenge of the Witch)"
Joseph Delaney

The Last Apprentice: Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice)"
Joseph Delaney.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

The Black Company by Glen Cook.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've started reading Michael Moorcock's The Eternal Champion.
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Tonight I'm going to continue my journey to The Dark Tower with DT4, Wizard and Glass.
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Having loved John Twelve Hawks' The Traveler, I couldn't wait and immediately plunged into the sequel. Though it's once again an entertaining read, I felt that The Dark River didn't have as much substance as its predecessor. Indeed, this novel is a more a full fledged techno thriller.

The pace is intense, from start to finish. So much so that I feel that several sequences were a bit rushed. I felt that certain portions should have been more fleshed out, especially the events occurring in Berlin and Ethiopia. In my opinion, John Twelve Hawks could have elaborated a bit more without losing the rhythm he established in The Traveler.

The storylines comprising The Dark River showed a lot of promise. And yet, the fact that the author speeds through most of them in the narrative doesn't allow him to exploit their potential to the fullest. I'm acutely aware that I don't say this very often, but this book should have been longer.

Regardless of those shortcomings, the reader keeps turning those pages. Short chapters that jump from one POV character to the next create a nice balance between the "good" and the "bad" guys. All in all, another good one!

Check the blog for the full review. :)

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Rise of a Merchant Prince.

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Murrin wrote:I've started reading Michael Moorcock's The Eternal Champion.
Awesome book(s)!
I havent read them in years but Michael Moorcock has some really good series out having to do with the Eternal Champion.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

130 pages into the 800+ page monster that is Dark Tower 4, Wizard and Glass, and loving it. King's really ripping it up in this novel, everything's just right, plot, characterisation, the small touches, humour, pathos, and the grand scale of the search for the Tower.

When King is "on", he's really, really good. :)
Luke The Unbeliever
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Luke The Unbeliever »

DT4 is great! a real tear jerker and a real insight to just who Roland is.

Jusr finished "Sword of Shannara" by Terry Brooks....got it for $2.50 at the local used book store.

Now I'm on to "Memories of Ice" and then "House of Chains"
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.
Brian: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the @$$ to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”