A Fresh Journey to the Tower

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Cail wrote:
Menolly wrote:If Susannah's Destination is what I think you are referring to, I've already read that.

So...Coda does continue with Roland inside the Tower? I figured that but...grumble...thanks Zahir and Cail...
I spoilered my stuff.
...not the comment after Zahir's post... :(
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Well...I also asked this of Hyperception and Beorn. Both also say to read it.

...trying to remember who all was following this thread...

Av?
Luci?
Wayfriend?
any input from you guys?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I read on. How can you not? King obviously doesn't think that the book ends with Roland just entering the tower...otherwise it would actually have ended there.

Read it. You'll love it or hate it, but at least you'll know.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

...OK...OK...OK...

I would still rather wait until I hear from Luci and Wayfriend as I'm curious if the decision would be unaminous. But, I'll probably break down and continue on once my guys are out of the house for the day...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Wow...read.

Uhm...wasn't The Matrix Reloaded, with it's story arc of The Architect and Neo's choice of rebooting the Matrix time and again, released just prior to DT:VII?

...time to make Fist happy...onward to Earthsea!!!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Spoiler
I loved the idea of Roland beginning the journey over and over again, I hated....hated the alternate timeline in which everyone was reunited. To me, that just shat all over everything that had gone before.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Cail wrote:
Spoiler
I loved the idea of Roland beginning the journey over and over again, I hated....hated the alternate timeline in which everyone was reunited. To me, that just shat all over everything that had gone before.
Spoiler
but...go, then, there are other worlds than these...
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Yeah, I'm with you Menolly.
Spoiler
And who's to say Roland will meet the same people in his Quest each time? Perhaps he meets slight variations, or maybe completely different folks or some combination? We don't know. But hopefully this time he'll learn enough not to enter the Tower, perhaps not even to approach it once he has saved it. Recall, that was his original desire--to heal what was sick at the Tower, not simply to attain its highest room. Methinks another name for Roland's tower might be BABEL.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Spoiler
Is it also possible that Roland is wrong, and that there is more than one Tower, each located on a different world? That perhaps his childhood in Gilead, and his time in Mejis, not to mention all else that occurs prior to chasing after Marten/Walter/Flagg on the edge of the desert, occurs in the only world it could, but that all other journeys from this point foward occurs on different core worlds that contain a Tower?

Susannah felt her memories slipping, after going through her final door. Obviously, the same happens to Roland. For there to be only one Tower in all of Gan's creation, perhaps that's a misconception we all have made?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Yes, I remember that quote, but it was sooooooooo unsatisfying.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Spoiler
Roland had to go to the Tower alone. Would you have preferred Susannah to also die? Obviously there has to be other Eddies, Jakes, and probably Odettas on other worlds. Why not give Susannah, who may have been the only version of Odetta to have a Detta within, some sort of satisfaction, if not happiness, after all she had suffered?

Perhaps for those who do not need to learn whatever it is that causes Roland to repeat his journey again and again, Gan offers a measure of kindness for a job well done.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Spoiler
Honestly, I'd have been much, much happier had Suze died as well. There were clearly other worlds out there, and I would have preferred the ambiguity of either letting Suze live and not knowing her fate, or having her die and assuming that some form of her continued on in another world.

Roland's fate is perfect, and that part of the Coda is phenomenal. That was really the only ending that the book could have had that I would have been satisfied with.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Without going into details, I don't think it possible to write the ending of a long work--especially an epic--that every single reader will like. Even the readers who enjoy the work as a whole and admire it.

Cail--your opinion is as valid as my own and Menolly's. And ours are as valid as yours. King wrote the story that was in his mind's eye and here it is. Myself, I accept that since I'm not the only audience my own views are not the ultimate arbiter. Nor should they be.

Mind you, watch how that sentiment flies out the window once I find something which I don't like. <g>
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

...OMG-ds...

The title I gave this thread, in relation to the ending of the series, just hit me...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Cail wrote:
Spoiler
Honestly, I'd have been much, much happier had Suze died as well. There were clearly other worlds out there, and I would have preferred the ambiguity of either letting Suze live and not knowing her fate, or having her die and assuming that some form of her continued on in another world.
Agree wholeheartedly.

--A

Return to “Stephen King Forum”