What Do You Think Of The Films?

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

What Do You Think Of The Films?

Post by Revan »

What do you think of the films? The actors, script, directing?
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Didn't you ask this on the Lord Of The Rings forum?? grin

The films are fine, nicely made and acted. Folks in Hollywood and the London studios are doing very nicely with their recent works and translations... I'm glad at least there are some who aren't re-hashing old material...

You know they want to make another version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre? I mean jeez man... aren't that original thinking?
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

I think the movies are a disgrace to the books. Even for a children fantasy (but the kids don't know it). The plot in the first movie for example, is extremely rough. It does not flow it all. Instead, its sections and pieces of the book are put together like random episodes. The acting was terrible and overall, me and my friends, agreed that the Troll was the best actor in the entire movie. Everything that moved fast was Computer Animated. The script was also unpolished as there were some parts that were very confusing. In the movie Harmonie started crying for absolutely no reason. If I hadn't read the books, I probably would be in a major loss.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

I haven't rread the books, I almost point blank refuse to read any fantasy novels because I have always been disappointed since TCTC.

But I have seen the first two movies in the theatre, and sort of liked them, but not overly. I bit too disneyish for my liking.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

We all loved the movies, and we love the books. :)

They are alot of fun. The Howler screaming at Ron, and the car spitting Ron and Harry out crack us all up. My kids watch those parts over and over.

And we just love Dobby!! LOL!!!

Not oscar material, but a fun ride. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

I am not a big fan of the movies. I think they try too hard to stay true to the books, and end up being just the books slapped onto film, verbatim. What makes a good book does not always make a good movie, and the HP movies fail to recognize that. :roll:

~Foamy~
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

people call me mad when i say this.... but i would bet my life on this;

i watched the 1st movie at home, and while i thought it was really really boring and i had a problem keeping up with it, i suppose for its intended audience it was fine

anyway... me any my m8 pete went to see TTT at the flicks, but we didn't bother checking the time table and it didn't start till the day after ... so we watched the 2nd harry potter film instead...

half way thru pete fell asleep, lol, and i saw exactly the same scene as i'd seen in the 1st film... word for word, action for action i could have talked along to it! i knew exactly what was going to happen and what did happen.

u know the scene in the girls abthroom where they meet that ghost girl...

i've been told that its only in 1 film but i ask you how could i possably have known what was going to happen??? ... i've never read the books and i've never been told about it. yet i knew the scene, clear as day...

it even looked a hell of alot older than the rest of the film... all fuzzy, like there was a fine coat of dust over the surface of the film.

some1 please tell me that i'm not going insane and that some1 else has noticed it? please??
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Moaning Myrtle was only in the second movie and book, I've seen the first and second several times (babysitting kids that want to see it over and over) and it's not in the first. me thinks ye were dipping into the sauce.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

that doesn't explain how i knew every word of what they were going to say without reading the books...
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

Theo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Theo »

I've enjoyed seeing both movies, but I wasn't overly impressed. To my mind they both seemed soulless, lacking a vision in themselves. While it's a good thing to try to be as faithful to the books as possible, of course, the movies often felt like they were trying to cram every little thing in for recognition, but then usually failing to develop it into anything interesting. Case in point: what's the bloody point of having John Cleese in a film if you're not gonna let him do or say anything!? :-x

I also didn't really like the 'Disneyland' atmosphere of parts of the movies. And the music was sometimes a little overbearing. On the other hand, most of the actors are great (although some of them are given lamentably little to do).

I think it would've been better to select the parts of a given book that really are needed for a movie and instead give it some depth. Of course, I really think it's a bad idea to cram the increasingly heavy books into the limited format of a movie. I would've much preferred turning the books into TV miniseries.

I'm glad it's not the same guy doing the third movie. I'm really looking forward to it, it should be interesting to see if you can do a Harry Potter movie in a different way.

Theo
Theo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Theo »

Seafoam Understone wrote:You know they want to make another version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre? I mean jeez man... aren't that original thinking?
What's the point? The original is near perfect. 8)
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

Forestal wrote:that doesn't explain how i knew every word of what they were going to say without reading the books...
Deja vous happens now and then.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Forestal - That's really odd. I had exactly the same Deja-Vu feeling in that same scene, the first time I saw CoS. I'm a big fan of both the books and the movies, so I knew there was no such scene in the first one - but it was wierd how familiar it was. Like I knew exactly what was going to be said, line for line. At the time I chalked it up to having seen a trailer somewhere, except that I didn't have TV.....
Spooky. :screwy:
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

Maybe the second bathroom scene was metaphysically encrypted into the video projection of the first one, afecting the subconscious part of your brain...

...naaaah.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

birdandbear wrote:Forestal - That's really odd. I had exactly the same Deja-Vu feeling in that same scene, the first time I saw CoS. I'm a big fan of both the books and the movies, so I knew there was no such scene in the first one - but it was wierd how familiar it was. Like I knew exactly what was going to be said, line for line. At the time I chalked it up to having seen a trailer somewhere, except that I didn't have TV.....
Spooky. :screwy:
thank god i'm not the only one

i thought i was going insane :D

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

For those living in a cave...the POA "teaser" is out...

go to www.the-leaky-cauldron.org

It's viewable in Quicktime, Realmedia, and Windows Media players.

Also, on the same site...you can download a video clip from Extra's set visit. With interviews with Dan, Rupert and Emma :)

BTW...the movie looks like it's going to be awesome!! :D :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Ooh, ooh, ohh!!! I saw that. *sniff* They didn't get Sirius right though. And they didn't get Lupin's hair right either.

Oh, well. June-July 2004!!! How will we stand the waiting?????
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I have been wondering how they will be able to fit the latter books of the series into a three hour movie...especially Goblet of Fire... :?
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”