What fantasy series would you recommend?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

King Elessar 8
Woodhelvennin

Re: okay

Post by King Elessar 8 »

Jeroth wrote:so both the song of ice and fire and malazan are more than two pov's? Well how many pov's are in either one? Cause i am probably going to try and read them anyway.
In total quite a few (for the Song of Ice and Fire series), but each individual book generally has around eight. Unlike some novels where a fluid POV means any character might become the focal point, in these books the primary perspectives are consistent thoughout each book, at least until the most recent entry A Feast for Crows, which starts jumping around a lot more.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: hmmm

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Jeroth wrote: I prefer books that are from one, two P.O.V.'s at the most, I don't like ensemble basts as much where every pother chapter is a new character's story.
Hobbs' Assasin trilogy is a first person POV from the main character (she does use some tricks to occasionally get pov's from other characters through the main character). I haven't read the Tawny Man trilogy yet, but I believe it uses the same single POV. OTOH, the Liveship trilogy has probably 8-10 pov's. I personally thought that it was better than the Assasin trilogy. I also think that if you're going to read Assasin and Tawny Man, you really should read Liveship in between (although, again, I haven't read TM yet.)

I really can't think of many other fantasy series with only one (or two) pov's. Since most fantasy series are epic in scope, I think it's pretty rare to find a series written from one perspective.

As others have noted, the other big series (ASoIaF and Malazan) have lots of perspectives. Personally, I think that the Martin books are easier to read than the Malazan books, especially when you first start out. If one of the things you don't like about multi-pov series is just that they can be hard to get started on, then you may have trouble with Erikson. It takes a long while to really get grounded in those books. For me, I didn't fully buy in until the third book (Memories of Ice).

Edit: Now that I think of it, the Riddle-Master trilogy (McKillup) only has 1 or 2 pov's. Personally, I found it kind of dull. No sex, and the action was too stunted for me. And you know what? Based on the title, I was actually expecting the books to be filled with RIDDLES. It sounds like a cool premise, a book where the main character solves riddles. That's not really how it is. It's more like the Hmmm-I wonder what's going on-Master series. There really aren't any riddles in it. In tone, it was similar to the Earthsea books (which I think also have only a few pov's.) I found those books kind of boring, too, and couldn't bring myself to read the 4th one. I just don't see the point of reading books where no one gets laid, what can I say. And if no one is getting any, you better make up for it with some pretty good gore. The Riddle-Master and Earthsea books are for people who like to think. Thinking is way over-rated, if you ask me.

Finally, you might want to keep in mind that Malazan and ASoIaF are still being written. You may or may not care about that. Erikson cranks his books out fast, and by the time you read the first 7, he'll probably have the 8th out with the 9th around the corner (and only one more left). Martin is a much slower writer, and it may be 10 years before the series is done, which is a bummer. I also read the PoN series, and my biggest gripe is that although the trilogy is complete, when you get to the end of it, you find out that it's really only the prelude to two more trilogies (maybe 3 more). I just didn't like it enough to consider continuing with Bakker. Loved the second book, but I found the third one to be seriously lacking. This series has maybe 5 main pov's, so it's fairly manageable to read.
Last edited by Farm Ur-Ted on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Re: hmmm

Post by iQuestor »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:
Jeroth wrote: I prefer books that are from one, two P.O.V.'s at the most, I don't like ensemble basts as much where every pother chapter is a new character's story.
Hobbs' Assasin trilogy is a first person POV from the main character (she does use some tricks to occasionally get pov's from other characters through the main character). I haven't read the Tawny Man trilogy yet, but I believe it uses the same single POV. OTOH, the Liveship trilogy has probably 8-10 pov's. I personally thought that it was better than the Assasin trilogy. I also think that if you're going to read Assasin and Tawny Man, you really should read Liveship in between (although, again, I haven't read TM yet.)

I really can't think of many other fantasy series with only one (or two) pov's. Since most fantasy series are epic in scope, I think it's pretty rare to find a series written from one perspective.
Tawny Man was written from Fitz's perspective, same as assassin. I loved both Assassin and Tawny. LiveShip was also great, and I agree it should be read in the middle.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

I've got to say first and foremost Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time. The quality varies (first six books were from great to renders-you-speechless)...steep drop off after that....book ten starts a resurgence in quality...book 12 gets us back to the average level of the first 6.

R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series (and the sequel series to that, the Aspect-Emperor is being written)

Robin Hobb's Farseer, LiveShip, and Tawny Man series (all interrelated) are also good.

And, of course, I do own all of the above.
andyjames
Servant of the Land

Post by andyjames »

Stutty wrote:I'm still pushing China Mieville's (forgive the spelling) Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council.

Not really fantasy, not really SF, kinda steam punk, but without the punk. Totally original as far as I'm concerned.

stut
i agree. Meiville's books are probably the best thing i've read in forever. i'd call them fantasy, even if stutty doesn't. they have magic and monsters.

Also Susanna Clarke's 'Jonothan Strange And Mr. Norrell' is peerless.
Skurj Scourge
Woodhelvennin

Post by Skurj Scourge »

Meiville's books definetly qualify. As far as series goes, I would also reccomend Julian May's Galactic Millieu series and Dan Simmons Hyperion cycle. These two are more scifi than fantasy, but absolutely essential in the pantheon of epic stories
Get that friggin' croyel offa me!
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Seven Words wrote:I've got to say first and foremost Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time. The quality varies (first six books were from great to renders-you-speechless)...steep drop off after that....book ten starts a resurgence in quality...book 12 gets us back to the average level of the first 6.

R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series (and the sequel series to that, the Aspect-Emperor is being written)

Robin Hobb's Farseer, LiveShip, and Tawny Man series (all interrelated) are also good.

And, of course, I do own all of the above.
Um, there is no book 12 in the Wheel of Time series yet... you probably counted New Spring among the main series, but it shouldn't be there (it's a prequel). And the tenth book (Crossroads of Twilight) is the worst of the worst in my opinion - save for a few redeeming moments, it's basically "what everybody else was doing while the protagonist performed the momentous task described at the end of book 9".

Book 12 of the series will likely take a couple of years to come out, seeing how the author recently died leaving it incomplete.
kim the unchosen
Servant of the Land

fantasy reads

Post by kim the unchosen »

I'm new to this site and I actually asked the same question on a different section here! I love the Robin Hobb books-but you have to read them all together, first the farseer trilogy, then the madship books, then the tawny man as they are all related. Also, the Fionivar tapestry (3 books) by guy kay kavriel-totally awesome.

And although Robert Jordan died before he finished A Memory of Light, the last book ot WOT, he left very very detailed instructions, written and taped to his wife, Harriet, explaining how he wanted the story wrapped up. All we, who have plugged along through all this for the last 17 years, really need now, is patience. Just like waiting for the next Covenant!
:biggrin:
Corwin
Stonedownor

Post by Corwin »

I'll cast my lot with The Chronicles of Amber, in case you couldn't guess.
Goodbye and Hello, as always.

...And the Glory of the world becomes less than it was.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Amber was pretty good. Kudos to whoever mentioned the Well of Souls books, too.

We all think along the same lines, it looks like. I would also suggest the Malazan series (yeah, baby!) and also ASOIAF, tho I haven't yet read the 4th book (I'm waiting for Martin to finish the second half first :lol: ). Patricia McKillip is fast becoming one of my faves; I especially liked "Song for the Basilisk" but I've yet to read a true stinker by her. The Riddlemaster books suffer only because they're one of her earliest works; her later stuff is *very* good, IMHO. But then, I don't need for a book (or a movie, for that matter) to have either hot sex or stuff that blows up real good, in order for me to recommend it. :P

I keep hearing Robin Hobb's name around here. I'm going to have to check him/her out.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Luke The Unbeliever
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Luke The Unbeliever »

Double ditto on <i>Malazan</i> and <i>ASoIaF</i>.

Also I strongly recommend <i>Shadowfall</i> by James Clemens. It's a great step away from the normal regurgitated fluff. Great story, the "magic" is cool, and the characters are very likeable. My wife got it for me about a year ago and I've read it 3 times.
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.
Brian: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the @$$ to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Problem with the Amber books is kind of like Donaldson dying right now (Frith forbid!). They are incomplete because the author Zelazny died while setting up new directions for the story to continue. Although he was more like on a second chronicles than a third. More books per series though, but smaller books. So I guess it's more like Donaldson dying after writing the One Tree. Which is a pity because he was setting up something special.

Anybody mention Terry Prachett's Discworld series? Yeah...they're silly, but still....

And I think Donaldson kind of ruined me on regular fantasy, with fairy creatures and the other stuff you find in D&D worlds. I've felt like I needed the darkness that Donaldson set up. Stuff from Neil Gaiman I've read has been very enjoyable, and even Clive Barker does some very interesting things that I've heard described as "dark fantasy." I remember really liking Weaveworld as far as ideas go, and the Great & Secret Show and Imagica, but I haven't read them in years, so I can't really recommend them as strongly as I once did.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Re: okay

Post by Fist and Faith »

Marvin wrote:Re Malazan; each book contains around 4 or 5 pov's, although it varies. Across the entire series...too many to count. Also, if you do decide to read 'em be aware that the first book is medoicre compared to the rest of the series. AND it will keep you occupied for a very long time. :biggrin:
I'm one of the few who does not think the first book, Gardens of the Moon, is particularly lacking when compared to the others. (I've only read the first four so far...) The paperback is 600+ pages, and if wasn't an absolute joy to read, I wouldn't have bothered even finishing it, much less going on to the others. I've stopped reading books before, and I'll do it again.

Regarding the number of pov characters... Yeah, there's a few! :lol: Aside from ASoIaF (Which I stopped in the middle of the 2nd book, so there's an example of me stopping. Not remotely bad stuff, just not my cup of tea. I still say I've never gotten a better picture of a story's characters than in the first book and a half of it I read.), I can't remember anything off hand that had more than one or two pov's throughout the book, but I guess I didn't mind it in this case. :D

And yes, Amber is great too!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Yeah, the first six books of WoT were good, but just plain stunk after that. The conclusion of book 9 was good, but like Xar said, book 10 was horrible. Totally killed my interest in the series. I haven't even started book 11 yet.

Will be curious to see what happens with book 12.-jay
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Jey, it too you like two years to read Runes. How long did it take you to read 10 books of WoT????

:lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
FaTeke
Stonedownor

Post by FaTeke »

I haven't seen these mentioned here so I'll throw them in for consideration:

CS Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy. Very original, at least for me, fantasy with a **slight** scifi twist to it.

I ate them up like candy and secretly wish for more....

FaTeke

"So shines a good deed in a weary world."
Willy Wonka

fateke.20m.com
"So shines a good deed in a weary world."
Willy Wonka
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Xar wrote:
Um, there is no book 12 in the Wheel of Time series yet... you probably counted New Spring among the main series, but it shouldn't be there (it's a prequel). And the tenth book (Crossroads of Twilight) is the worst of the worst in my opinion - save for a few redeeming moments, it's basically "what everybody else was doing while the protagonist performed the momentous task described at the end of book 9".

Book 12 of the series will likely take a couple of years to come out, seeing how the author recently died leaving it incomplete.
that was a typo, actually..*hanging head in shame* meant book 11....that scene with Nynaeve at the inn in Saldea was just.....wow. ranks right up there with Moiraine telling of Aemon's last stand, and the Asha'man scene at the battle of Dumai's Wells.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

*deja vu* (you'll find threads like this all over KW!)

Julian May's Saga of the Exiles
(and most of what ^they wrote, except that Martin Fire Ice Song thing, read his Fevre Dream instead!)
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Stonemaybe wrote:*deja vu* (you'll find threads like this all over KW!)

Julian May's Saga of the Exiles
(and most of what ^they wrote, except that Martin Fire Ice Song thing, read his Fevre Dream instead!)
I forgot about Julian May. Is the Saga of the Exiles the all encompassing name for all the books of which the Pliocene Epoch books (like the dude with the Coat of Many Pockets...Aiken Drum) were a part of? Loved those, but haven't read any other than the 3 or maybe 4. Again, it's been so long, but she's a damn good writer. Very fascinating what I read.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
kim the unchosen
Servant of the Land

multiple povs

Post by kim the unchosen »

I think if a book is really great, and you are really getting into it, it flows from one pov to another and it doesn't matter to me how many there are-just another way of getting to know the characters. I totally agree with the CS Friedman recommendation-I too, own and love this trilogy.

If you are really desperate for an easy yet good read, Anne McCaffrey's pern books will keep you busy for awhile but not that deep, or dark. Just fun.
"Never the less"

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”