Swamp Thing

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Taiga Tzu
<i>Elohim</i>

Swamp Thing

Post by Taiga Tzu »

There is a truly great Forestal! I am saddened at the thought of those who do not know of this wonderful being.
One wide forest of sentience and passion filled all the region - one mind and heart alive in every leaf and bough of every tree among the many myriad throngs and glory of the woods.Image
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Heh... he had a good taste in women! :)
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

I have been cocooned on my island for too long and have lost contact with much of the ways of the outside world.
Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me as to who this Swamp Thing is. :)
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

I'm talking about an old horror movie of the same name, he had the hots for Adrienne Barbeaux, a B movie actress. 1960's movie.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Never read the comic, nor was I ever successful at watching the TV serialization, but I did see the movie (1982, actually). Swamp Thing looked cool, but I can't say I remember much about the movie. Never saw the sequel, either.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm not sure if Taiga Tzu would agree or not, but the movies (there were more than one??) are irrelevant. (Aside from the aforementioned Adrienne Barbeaux. Yum!) The comic book that it was based on had some good stuff. Particularly the many issues written by Alan Moore, whose Watchmen must be counted among the best creations of the genre. A man was murdered in the swamp, among some chemicals, and the earth elemental, Swamp Thing, arose. His power over all plant life is quite impressive! They once took his woman away and threw her in jail in Gotham City. This put him in conflict with the Batman. Batman did not fare well against the elemental.

In a truly superb story arc, Swamp Thing explored the nature of Good and Evil, accompanied by some very powerful beings - human, demon, angel, and none of the above.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

I remember reading a story arc about the US government trying to perfect a chemical compound that would turn soldiers into swamp things...of course the whole thing went terribly wrong, and the swamp thing super-soldiers went berserk killing everything in sight :D
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Taiga Tzu
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Taiga Tzu »

I have absolutely no idea what you are all talking about regarding movies, TV, and comic books. 8O I only know the Swamp Thing, the being.

In any event, I'm afraid I don't know about many of the particulars of his life. When Swamp Thing and I talk, we tend to concentrate on the green. But from the occasional comments he makes, I gather that things have often gone badly between him and the people of his world.
One wide forest of sentience and passion filled all the region - one mind and heart alive in every leaf and bough of every tree among the many myriad throngs and glory of the woods.Image
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Fist and Faith wrote: A man was murdered in the swamp, among some chemicals, and the earth elemental, Swamp Thing, arose. His power over all plant life is quite impressive!
As I remember it the Swamp Thing was a plant elemental, not an earth elemental. At least that is what John Constantine (the Hellblazer guy) called him. This might be the first comics he appeared in as well.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Possibly a matter of semantics. I understand your position. Swamp Thing didn't, after all, do things with the rock and earth the way that other company's Terrax did. But the Spectre himself said
AN EARTH ELEMENTAL. HOW STRANGE. I HAD THOUGHT THEM ALL LONG SINCE DESTROYED...
It's hard to imagine any being more aware than that incarnation of the Spectre, and I trust no one to tell the story better than Alan Moore.

And yes, I think you're right about John Constantine making his first appearance in Swamp Thing.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Taiga Tzu
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Taiga Tzu »

Honestly, the things you boys debate about sometimes!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Excuse me? Listen, lady, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. 'k? (Sheesh! Some Forestals! That's right, I said Forestals!!)
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Hmm, you're getting yourself into trouble there, F&F. Rather like Prince Alun. :? And you know what happened to Prince Alun? He got tied up in vines and hung from a tree... 8O

(No, really he was burned as a witch, but still...)
Taiga Tzu
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Taiga Tzu »

Turiya, I'm sure Fist appreciates your attempt to save his life! Hanging impudent, arrogant people from trees is a particularly pleasant part of being a Forestal. :D
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

And you know what's the pleasant part about being a Raver? You can turn invisible and watch the Forestals hang people from trees, and they won't even know. :D
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

The Swamp Thing comic was a very enjoyable read for the most part. The films, although campy and rediculous have a kind of rustic charm. Of course I'm a sucker for superhero comics and film.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

In addition to the excellent work of Moore, the very first ten issues of the original series by Berni Wrightson & Len Wein were gorgeous. Too bad about the movies, though. They really failed to capture any mood, let alone the mood of the comic book:(
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

MEGATON dAN wrote:They really failed to capture any mood, let alone the mood of the comic book:(
I have to disagree with you here dAN. I thought the two Swamp Thing films were spilling over with mood. Crap is a mood. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Cromas Tummins wrote:Crap is a mood. :-)
Grease is a mood, but crap is....crap. :screwy:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval

Return to “Flicks”