OK, OK, SRD, we get it, we get it, let's move on, please...

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

OK, OK, SRD, we get it, we get it, let's move on, please...

Post by kevinswatch »

Dear SRD,

By Ch. 6 of FR, I believe we have all fully realized at this point that Liand and Pahni like each other. A lot. Or something like that.

You can stop making references to this fact EVERY flipp'n time you mention Pahni's name.

Seriously, someone needs to hose these two down.

Thanks in advance,

"High" Lord Jay

(And yes...I'm still only at Ch. 6. So no spoilers plz thx.)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Erm. Don't get your hopes up.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, Jay, I said the same thing somewhere or other. Sheesh!!! :roll:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

If you read it faster, you won't notice it so much. ;)
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

Damelon wrote:If you read it faster, you won't notice it so much. ;)
Exactly! I didn't think it was that big a deal.
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

Uh, does nobody remember the whole Sunder/Hollian thing in TWL? Gag me... just as bad, and just as necessary to the storyline (sadly).
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Annoying? Yes. But SRD doesn't do these things without some larger purpose in mind, without needing it later on in the story. Be patient, it's coming... :ahem:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

pfffffff.....

What-ever!!

I'm gonna go touch Christy's shoulder a few dozen times now.

:biggrin: :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Shoulder touching is always desired.

But one question: Who the blank is Christy?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

earthbrah wrote:Shoulder touching is always desired.

But one question: Who the blank is Christy?

Fist's soon-to-be better half.

Sunder/Hollian weren't anywhere near as bad and Pahni/Liand.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

dlb is right on both conts. :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Fist and Faith wrote:pfffffff.....

What-ever!!

I'm gonna go touch Christy's shoulder a few dozen times now.

:biggrin: :lol:
If all you know how to do is to touch her shoulder ... :? Poor Girl. :lol:

Perhaps I should ask the WENCH to give you (and her) lessons ... I noticed she charged up your alter-ego pretty well! ;) :twisted:
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Oh Earthbrah, what have you done??? :o :D
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Hehe...

Anyway, I agree with those who said that they don't remember Sunder/Hollian being nearly as bad as Liand/Pahni.

It's practically automatic. SRD can't mention Pahni in a scene unless she's looking at Liand, has part of her body touching Liand, etc.

SRD could have a scene where Lord Foul is standing five feet away and beating up puppy dogs, and Pahni would still be described as "glancing towards Liand, with her hand on his shoulder."

-jay
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

kevinswatch wrote
SRD could have a scene where Lord Foul is standing five feet away and beating up puppy dogs,
Awesome image! :twisted:

An immortal being of hate huddled in a corner punching the stuff out of some cuddlies. :evilfoul: :haha:
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

kevinswatch wrote: SRD could have a scene where Lord Foul is standing five feet away and beating up puppy dogs, and Pahni would still be described as "glancing towards Liand, with her hand on his shoulder."

-jay
Ha ha! :biggrin:

The problem is that these are non-characters. There's nothing else for them to do except follow Linden around. So this counts as "character development," I suppose. I mean besides a bit of scouting near the end, there has literally been nothing for Pahni to do in over a 1000 pages.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

SRD wrote it in as cheesecake. All Chronicles has to have some love interest storyline. I mean Tolkien even had a few.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Ur Dead wrote:SRD wrote it in as cheesecake. All Chronicles has to have some love interest storyline. I mean Tolkien even had a few.
I don't think anyone has a problem with characters falling in love. After all, that's what Linden and Covenant did. Sunder and Hollian had much more important things to do than stand around looking at each other and gently touching. From the beginning, Sunder's role was more active than Liand's. He was leading Covenant and Linden through a land they didn't recognize. He helped them survive by aiding with his knowledge--and at the same time he underwent a transformation by seeing how his knowledge was built on a perversion of previous lore.

With Liand, it's just the opposite: Linden is leading him through a Land he never knew. So he has no role whatsoever--except to tag along and ogle Pahni.

I don't get this debate strategy. I keep seeing it in other threads, too: someone complains about something in FR, and other people bring up examples in the previous Chronicles which are nothing like the one we're complaining about here, and yet there's an implicit claim that these examples are the same, as if this makes the example we're complaining about somehow better. It doesn't. It just diminishes the previous Chronicles by equating them with superficially similar scenes in FR. If you think Sunder and Hollian's relationship in the 2nd Chronicles was anything at all like this Pahni/Liand romance--or that the character development is equally rich in both cases--then I'm not sure we're reading the same books. It makes me question what you saw in the original Chronicles, because I certainly didn't read any "cheesecake" there.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Malik wrote:With Liand, it's just the opposite: Linden is leading him through a Land he never knew. So he has no role whatsoever--except to tag along and ogle Pahni.
Heh, yeah, I agree. From what I've seen so far, Sunder and Hollian had far more depth to their characters than Liand and Pahni. There's not much of a comparison.

I mean, that scene with Sunder and Hollian in Andelain in WGW? Powerful stuff. I don't think I'd care a whiff if Liand or Pahni kicked the bucket.

Why even have them around if they add nothing to the story and if SRD can not think of anything else to write about them except for this trite dribble?-jay
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

kevinswatch wrote:Why even have them around if they add nothing to the story and if SRD can not think of anything else to write about them except for this trite dribble?-jay
Ah, that, at least, I understand. They are there so Linden can be all angst-ridden and scared and crap.

And you hush up, Creator! ;) If I could only relate the contact Christy and I have... :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Fatal Revenant”