Guy Tasered; right or wrong?

Archive From The 'Tank

Guy Tasered at Q&A. Should he have been?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:39 pm

No, the cops used excessive force while infringing upon his freedom of speach. Period.
29%
No, the guy was struggling, but he certainly didn't need to be tasered.
21%
Yes, first the guy spoke over his alloted time, was not listening to the cops and then basically resisted them to the amount that tasering was necessary.
46%
Yes, infact they probably could have done it sooner and were patient as it was.
4%

Total votes: 24

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i have been gassed in training. they sort of missed me so i was ok. others were snotting and puking, convinced they were going to die. not fun.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Given the choice between mace and a taser, I'll take the taser any day of the week.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Me, I'll just try and stay on the right side of the law and try not to piss people off who look like they might be winging it, Veronica Mars style.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

burgs wrote:Me, I'll just try and stay on the right side of the law and try not to piss people off who look like they might be winging it, Veronica Mars style.
good choice. just do what the officer tells you. you can sort it out later.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Sgt. Null, you do realise that I don't trust anything you say because you trust the Authorities so implicitly, without demands of evidence and proof. I never believe what someone says simply because they say it. If I did, I'd be a Christian.
B&
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Emotional Leper wrote:Sgt. Null, you do realise that I don't trust anything you say because you trust the Authorities so implicitly, without demands of evidence and proof. I never believe what someone says simply because they say it. If I did, I'd be a Christian.
Bad EL !!!!

No picking on us Christians. :goodnevil:
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

SoulBiter wrote:
Emotional Leper wrote:Sgt. Null, you do realise that I don't trust anything you say because you trust the Authorities so implicitly, without demands of evidence and proof. I never believe what someone says simply because they say it. If I did, I'd be a Christian.
Bad EL !!!!

No picking on us Christians. :goodnevil:
Oh, heaven forbid I pick on Christianity in such a horrible fashion. I guess you'll have to burn me at the stake or something.
B&
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

but oddly enough you believe the criminals and their families on no more than their word.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Where did EL say that?

For myself, I extend trust to everyone I meet. They need to earn my mistrust. If a person has been found guilty of theft, assault, rape, etc., then I wouldn't trust a thing that came out of their mouth if their tongue was notarized. I think the cute judge on People's Court said that. Good line.

Same thing with people lying to me. If they lie to me once, I'm not likely to ever believe anything they say.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

burgs wrote:Where did EL say that?

For myself, I extend trust to everyone I meet. They need to earn my mistrust. If a person has been found guilty of theft, assault, rape, etc., then I wouldn't trust a thing that came out of their mouth if their tongue was notarized. I think the cute judge on People's Court said that. Good line.

Same thing with people lying to me. If they lie to me once, I'm not likely to ever believe anything they say.
well then i guess we can explain my distrust of criminals. i work with them. i see them as they are. when most of you see them, it is on tv. scrubbed and reading prepared statements.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

sgt.null wrote:
burgs wrote:Where did EL say that?

well then i guess we can explain my distrust of criminals. i work with them. i see them as they are. when most of you see them, it is on tv. scrubbed and reading prepared statements.
Oh, god, yes, because I don't interact with people who break the law every day, and I obey every single law on the face of the earth. Hellfire. I'd be serving decades of time if I was actually arrested and convicted of every single law I've broken since I've turned 18.

I don't give a damned who a person is: Convict or Free, Black or White, What their religion is, etc. I judge them solely based on their words and deeds. I distrust everyone equally until I deem them trustworthy.
B&
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I guess I should say, in defining 'criminal', I'm thinking more along the lines of those folks serving time for serious offenses, and not things like smoking pot, jaywalking, etc.

And not trusting doesn't mean treating them as less than human. With all of the ruckus I've made lately about how people perceive and treat each other, I'd hope that was obvious.

God knows I'm not innocent.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

burgs wrote:I guess I should say, in defining 'criminal', I'm thinking more along the lines of those folks serving time for serious offenses, and not things like smoking pot, jaywalking, etc.

And not trusting doesn't mean treating them as less than human. With all of the ruckus I've made lately about how people perceive and treat each other, I'd hope that was obvious.

God knows I'm not innocent.
Anyone who is currently being punished by the criminal justice system is a criminal. Whether this is Jail Time, Community Service, or being on a special list of people who can't live certain places.
B&
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Yes, of course, I agree - because you're right. I'm probably not thinking rationally right now as I've written about 10,000 words in two days, amongst other things, and am a bit dizzy. :-)

But if I can breathe and center my brain...

I was referring specifically to people I personally wouldn't trust , regardless of their legal status - which I suppose is a stupid thing to have done, to try and create a subgroup of lawbreakers that I'll trust, and another that I won't.

Ignore everything that I said.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

el: i am pretty sure that criminals have shown in their deeds that they are not trust worthy. and i can tell you from experience; the word of a convict means less than nothing.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

It's just that the world doesn't fit into these neat little generalisations Sgt.

--A
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Avatar wrote:It's just that the world doesn't fit into these neat little generalisations Sgt.

--A
sometimes it does Av. rapists/child rapists seem to be fairly a black & white issue. no shades of grey. the same with murder. drug dealing, armed robbery, assault, kidnapping. where is the grey in any of those?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

There's plenty of room for grey in murder, drug dealing, armed robbery, assault and kidnapping.

--A
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

sgt.null wrote:
Avatar wrote:It's just that the world doesn't fit into these neat little generalisations Sgt.

--A
sometimes it does Av. rapists/child rapists seem to be fairly a black & white issue. no shades of grey. the same with murder. drug dealing, armed robbery, assault, kidnapping. where is the grey in any of those?
Actually, there is some gray with drug dealing, and kidnapping. I can think of any number of Law & Order SVU episodes where a father has kidnapped his son/daughter because the mother is a drug addict, or a hooker, and the courts are being pro-Mommy.

Heck - even with molestation. I learned, a few years ago, that my roommate at the time was a convicted child molester. What joy that brought me. Then, though, I learned that he was gay, that he was 18 when it happened, and it happened with his best friend who was 17 (a girl), and the girl's father caught them. It was entirely consensual, the guy, my ex-roommate was totally exploring (and probably not liking it much, I was stunned that he was even with a girl), but the father was furious and pressed charges. If I were on the jury in that case, I would not convict.

But the poor guy now has to register as a sex offender everywhere he goes for the rest of his life. That is just not fair.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Avatar wrote:There's plenty of room for grey in murder, drug dealing, armed robbery, assault and kidnapping.

--A
really? this i have to hear? because one does not accidently commit a major felony. and there are many better choices for survival. and murder does not include self defense.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Coercri”