New to the Gap discussion

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

New to the Gap discussion

Post by Endymion9 »

I've been a big SRD fan since I picked up Lord Foul's Bane in a bookstore (Because the Darrell Sweet cover looked so cool) in 1981.

But I struggled with the Gap Series. Had all the books. Got through 3 of them and at that time really struggled with series where I didn't like any of the characters, couldn't identify with any of the characters, and just couldn't find someone to root for. So ended up giving the books to the local library.

But since that time I've read other authors where I didn't like any of the characters and yet still thoroughly enjoyed the stories. Maybe I've *matured* as a reader now that I'm approaching 50??

Now after finishing Fatal Revenant jumped into the Last Chronicles and seeing so many people appreciating the Gap Cycle here, decided to give them another try. Reordered the paperback versions from Amazon and have all of them except book number 4. Hopefully will ship before I get to that point.

Right now I'm halfway through The Real Story. Already I'm enjoying it more because I'm not caught up on loathing Angus and not enamored of Morn. I think that's what stopped me reading in the late 90s when I finished the third book, by that point I couldn't stand Morn and thought, if I don't like her anymore why am I reading?

So anyway, hi to everyone here and look forward to discussing the series after I finish it.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

:wave: hi Endymion9 !! be welcomed!! and check out the dissection we did on The Real Story in our Ancillary Documentation forum!! :biggrin:

we had minimal participation as Fatal Revenant came out right when we were doing it, but there are some great posts and insigts in the dissection.

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=62
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Thanks Lucimay! I'll check it out when I finish the book within the next week.
Cshaw71
Stonedownor

Post by Cshaw71 »

It could be a series that does take some maturity. I read the RS and FK back when FK came out and was very disappointed. I realize now back then I was expecting Thomas Covenant in space. Even though I still don't like those first two books much I realize taken as a Sci-Fi they have no equal. Not saying that there are other Space Sci-fi that are as good, just none that take SRD's approach to it.
Now if I were to Rate SRD's Work it would go as follows:

1 1st Chron's of TC
2 The Gap Series
3 2nd Chron's of TC
4 Last Chron's of LA* (I know, I am trying to be funny)
5 Mordants Need

* The above is NOT an endorsement of THOOLAH I will not through my hat there until after I read "The Last Dark". Also this one has the potential of changing position based upon reading the final two books.
Try see it once my way
Everything Zen
--Bush (not the President or his Dad)

Return to “The Gap Series”