The Linden Avery Anti-Fan Club?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Linden Avery---Fair or Foul?

I really, really hate her and wish her to be killed!
11%
I sort of don't like her.
22%
I could care less about her either way.
4%
I think she's OK.
45%
I really, really love her and want to have her children!
18%

Total votes: 55

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Linden was quite annoying at first, but after LFB I had a high tolerance for that. She got better as time went by, and in WGW she did a lot of good.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I think for me the most infuriating moment about Linden was when she so easily believed everything mad dead Kevin had said about Covenant.

Anyway, she had bad moments and fine moments Morn Hyland is a more likeable heroine, but Linden was okay after all. I think most people dislike her - if they do - is that sometimes it seems she will overshadow TC and take his role in the redemption in the Land - and I think everybody feels that after the First Chrons that role belongs to Covenant and nobody else...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

amanibhavam wrote:I think for me the most infuriating moment about Linden was when she so easily believed everything mad dead Kevin had said about Covenant
That's true, I felt the same. But to do her credit, Covenant had been acting like a combination of spoiled kid (I wanna save the Land) and martyr (I am so bad I don't deserve my time for love) for some time.

If he hadn't been sunk in his dramatics, wasn't there some way he could have found to convey, "Trust me. I know what I'm doing"? Even though he couldn't let Foul overhear his idea, Linden had been inside his mind and should at least understand him to that degree, if he had tried to communicate.

It says a lot about the Elohim that they didn't think the Ringbearer and the Chosen could act as a team. Their predictions increased the friction between TC and LA.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

We have all had six whole books to get used to TC, but only three to get used to LA. I think that Linden will become more likable as the third chronicles progresses.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

It's been a while since I've read the series, so I can't say what I really though about Linden by the end of the series. But I do remember that she had a habit of annoying me...heh. More so then Covenant did in the first series.-jay
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

birdandbear wrote:Covenant did save the Land. Linden healed it. They both played vital roles in the Land's redemption. TC was by no means unnecessary. ;)

And I love Linden. If for no other reason than that she made TC happy for 3 pages.
i'm with bird on this ;) .. I appreciated the fact that she didnt treat TC like a leper .. she gave him what Joan failed to give him .. and for that she deserves my gratitude and even .... my respect ..

I resented her presence in the beginning of TWL .. and it was kinda a rocky road from there ... liking her .. disliking her ..

I really didnt like the way she wigged out on .. whathisname haruchai .. and i kinda felt sickened by her killing her mum .. even though she really was an abusive and vile parent ..

but at the end of the day .. i do kinda like her
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
TRC
The Gap Into Spam

Linden Avery How much can we stand ?

Post by TRC »

I disliked Linden for all the same stuff that I empathized TC for, the self-loathing and pity just got old in Her for some reason, but aside from that I think she would make a great Concubine.
Yes I guess we can all just get along !

Smurfy, simply Smurfy !!!

WWW.CALDERWOODBOOKS.COM
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

The Linden Avery Anti-Fan Club?

Post by matrixman »

I had no problems accepting Linden. The Second Chronicles was a whole new thing. So it was good, perhaps even necessary, to see the Land from a new perspective--Linden's perspective. Besides, it's compelling to read about people, either real or fictional, who carry with them a lot of emotional baggage. That's Donaldson's forte, is it not? The question of like or dislike is important, yes, but it's all about the story, how Linden fits into the grand scheme of things. Linden is beautiful to me in her way. Her character seems to be more of a litmus test for readers than Thomas Covenant ever was. Interesting... :-|
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm .. you make a good point matrixman .. and yes these kinds of characters are Donaldson's forte ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I've always wondered: was Linden's health-sense something extra, exceptional? Or was it just the same level of perception, as that of the inhabitants of the old Land? If, for example, Lord Mhoram would have been transferred to the Land under the Sunbane, would he perceive everything woth the same acuity as Linden? Or was it really exceptional?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Other people in the Land had Linden's healing instincts, but even Mhoram never tried to get inside Covenant to try to heal his mind. For certain Elena would have tried if she could have, she had no qualms about meddling in private things when she felt the need. I think that says Linden was exceptional.

:cry:
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I think it would have to be--not only because of her training as a Dr. but there has to be some serious reason SRD explores her psyche in such painstaking depth. There has to be some other side of the coin (paradox, as it were) to her father's suicide and bloodbath and her mother's condition, the value of life, and her descision to smother her. Just as it almost makes her of Raver caliber that she was in fact a murderess, in the eyes of Gibbon, she is also pushed to persue the ultimate value of life and living if in fact it is to be judged 'mercy killing" and the lessons learned from witnessing the suicide.

Another argument for Mhoram not doing so well was compromised earthpower. Prehaps in what's left of Andelian but the corruption elsewhere might have blinded him. TC's leprosy was not arrested in the 2nd series, his nerves did not regenerate and he could not see. But Linden can...Perhaps not only because she has 'fresh' eyes with which to view the Land but also because she plumbs the depths of disease, corruption, and is intuitively programmed to work to find the value of life that leads her to tap what little earthpower is left in the Land.
fall far and well Pilots!
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

danlo wrote:I think it would have to be--not only because of her training as a Dr. but there has to be some serious reason SRD explores her psyche in such painstaking depth. There has to be some other side of the coin (paradox, as it were) to her father's suicide and bloodbath and her mother's condition, the value of life, and her descision to smother her. Just as it almost makes her of Raver caliber that she was in fact a murderess, in the eyes of Gibbon, she is also pushed to persue the ultimate value of life and living if in fact it is to be judged 'mercy killing" and the lessons learned from witnessing the suicide.

Another argument for Mhoram not doing so well was compromised earthpower. Prehaps in what's left of Andelian but the corruption elsewhere might have blinded him. TC's leprosy was not arrested in the 2nd series, his nerves did not regenerate and he could not see. But Linden can...Perhaps not only because she has 'fresh' eyes with which to view the Land but also because she plumbs the depths of disease, corruption, and is intuitively programmed to work to find the value of life that leads her to tap what little earthpower is left in the Land.
Very good points, danlo!

Myself, I thought that Linden's Health-sense was similar to what TC and all Land-Born had in FCTC, but was amplified by the fact that she was the *only* one who seemed to have it in SC (as far as I can tell, not even the Haruchai had it). The Health-sense was focused completely on her, taking it to a higher level (sensing, causing, and even possessing). Linden could use it adroitly because of her medical training (remember the scene where she grabs Thomas' hand and uses the ring like a scalpel, totally shocking/shaming TC?). Due to her unique emotional makeup, though, she had no way initially to reconcile the Health-sense as a good thing, or even a neutral thing. The Land's gift violated her because it forced her to accept that there was Evil in the world---which she needed to ignore to justify her own choices regarding her mother.

One reason why I initially disliked Linden--and TC for that matter--was the negativity shown toward the idea of being in the Land at all. This stemmed from my inability to separate my own feelings from what were realistic reactions for them (kudos again to SRD for making realistic fantasy characters!).
In other words, I irrationally disliked Thomas and Linden for not loving the cool things they were getting to do, without considering all the baggage they were carrying [remember that I first read TCTC in junior high!]. Now, however, I feel like I understand and appreciate them much better, because I know that Thomas and Linden are essentially damaged people that weren't weaned on Tolkien and Donaldson fantasy like I was! :) :lol:
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

DW wrote:Due to her unique emotional makeup, though, she had no way initially to reconcile the Health-sense as a good thing, or even a neutral thing. The Land's gift violated her because it forced her to accept that there was Evil in the world---which she needed to ignore to justify her own choices regarding her mother

Superb additional point! Which makes the implications of the Raver almost shocking her to death in the beginning of TWL even more intense!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I liked Linden, i thought she was a really good character. IMO anyways...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

you keep saying that...please explain why and how... :D
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

She makes Thomas happy for once! Isn't that reason enough.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Hell no! :evil:

;)
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Why not! Would you rather him be a sad loser whom the closet he got to getting laid in 11 years was rapping someone.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

HAHA Cjr u sound just like Fangthane when u say that! 8O

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”