US Presidental Elections 2008

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I basically agree. Also, he can stop wasting time defaming another democrat and focus everything on the Republicans now. And with them looking so surprisingly good, I think he needs to do it sooner rather than later.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Still though, you have to wonder how Hil's camp is going to spin this. He is the presumptive nominee, it's not a lock.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

I dont know either, but you know she will spin it somehow. She wont give up.

Post by Avatar »

Oh yeah...she'll carry on defaming him. Probably something about how presumptious he is to assume to know the will of the people. That's my guess anyway. :D

--A
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

good call! thats likely exactly what she will do. But I think her campaign is swirling down the loo.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I dunno. She's got a really good shot of beating Obama in PA.

And Howard Dean has said that the ousted delegates will be seated at the convention.

I think a deal will be brokered that puts Hil as the Dem nominee with Obama as the VP. Even if the ticket loses, this gives Obama far more credibility (plus 4 more years of experience) for the next election.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Cail wrote:I dunno. She's got a really good shot of beating Obama in PA.

And Howard Dean has said that the ousted delegates will be seated at the convention.

I think a deal will be brokered that puts Hil as the Dem nominee with Obama as the VP. Even if the ticket loses, this gives Obama far more credibility (plus 4 more years of experience) for the next election.
Yeah, but I am not sure Obama would do that, even if it seems to be the politically correct thing to do -- do you think he would take a VP seat if offered?

I personally think she is done. I hope she is.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I think he'd be a fool not to. The bulk of the criticism he's getting is about experience. This'd end that.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I think a lot of it will have to do with how large a win Clinton can cobble together in PA. If she wins by 20 and makes significant gains in delegates, she'll have some momentum going into NC/IN. If, however, Obama loses by say less than 12, the delgates are pretty much equally allocated. If he loses by less than 8, given that he started 20-25 behind there just 10 days ago... that will be almost aqs good as beating her. AGREE?

Obama would have to accept VP (and HRC would ahve to offer it), but frankly I don't see him even offering VP to HRC at this point. I think it's much more likely Richardson, Richard Gephardt...someone of that ilk.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Oh no, I don't think Obama would consider Hil as a running mate (unless Dean can force him to do it).

Post by Avatar »

Cail wrote:I think he'd be a fool not to. The bulk of the criticism he's getting is about experience. This'd end that.
Agreed. He'd be well set for the next election.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Exactly, and as someone else mentioned, do the Democrats really want to win this time around?

Post by Avatar »

Haha, on the other hand, how will it look if they can't, after 8 years of Bush?

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That's how it's looking though, isn't it?

Post by Avatar »

I really hope I'm wrong, I really do, :lol: but there is that hint about it.

--A
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

There is 7 months before the election. Once one or the other (HRC or Obama) become the presumptive nominee, I think the facts on the ground (economy in the the tank, war fatigue, enrgy prices, etc.) will elevate EITHER candidate.

Obama is partucular has one huge advantage in the coming months. MONEY. Lots of it, too. I think he might 30 M for the effort between now and the convention.

Given these circumstances, I am not terribly worried about the GE polls right now.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage

Post by Avatar »

Ah, we all know America is running smoothly when the candidate has enough money to win, right?

(Sorry Guns. ;) i'm just teasing you. :D yes, absolutely, a lot can happen in seven months. But for me, it's a bitter bloody pill that the reps look like they're even in with a chance. What's wrong with you guys? ;) :LOLS: )

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Yeah, that's just great that a candidate is good at pimping themselves.....

God we must look ridiculous to everyone else.

Post by Avatar »

Haha, well, to be honest, I think the rest of the world really doesn't care that much. It's only when foreign policy affects them that they really have an interest if you know what I mean.

That said...well, your system does seem a bit odd at times. And the reputation of your voting public is not exemplary. ;)

--A
Brasidas
Giantfriend

Post by Brasidas »

As an Englishman now living in Australia, I've seen two different styles of electioneering, but both are relatively similar; they're short sharp and not at all sweet, and then things settle down for a few years at least.
But do the American elections ever actually finish? It just seems to be an endless cycle of polls, and pictures of candidates giving speeches, and analysts analysing those speeches...
Even symbolically I think it would be a huge leap forward if the President were to be either black or a woman, and symbolism can be a powerful agent for real change.

Return to “Coercri”