Archive From The 'Tank
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

:lol:

My joke wasn't in bad taste.
It was pure comedy!
Prebe is just being a party pooper.

(yeah, translate that one you commie bastard ;) )
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Okay folks, what tempreture is the Earth supposed to be at? I posted this once... 20,000 years or so ago, the average was nearly 20 degree's less than it is now. A few million years ago, it was 10 degree's warmer.

Reckon it's a good thing those Neanderthals couldn't do anything about that global warming thing, or there wouldn't be a Detroit or Chicago now.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Well, we could actually do without Detroit and Chicago.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

HLT wrote:Prebe is just being a party pooper.
Oh! It's pooper. I always thought it was popper ;)
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Prebe wrote:
HLT wrote:Prebe is just being a party pooper.
Oh! It's pooper. I always thought it was popper ;)
I supposed that's better than a pooper popper!

(not that there's anything wrong with that)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Rawedge Rim wrote:Okay folks, what tempreture is the Earth supposed to be at? I posted this once... 20,000 years or so ago, the average was nearly 20 degree's less than it is now. A few million years ago, it was 10 degree's warmer.
Well they think it might have been. Those arent facts they are theory. The farther back you go in trying to extrapolate temperature the less precise the measurement.

However at the very least people are starting to realize that we are in a warming period. Whether its because of CO2 or some other natural cycle is what is debatable and has been debated at length. I think we have had some affect on global temperatures. I think that man is tipping the scales on the balance of nature. I could be wrong. But think on this.

Its not gonna hurt my feelings if Im wrong about Global warming. Nothing will change except perhaps we will find cleaner air and water as a by-product of our changes.

But what if it is man made and we do nothing? What if we wait too long? What if it was changable but instead we were worried about 'economics'?
In that scenario, everyone gets hurt.

But if its man-made and we can change it.. isnt that worth the effort?
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

about global warming.

Ice caps melting...species going extinct. global tilt....ICE AGE...anyone know how long its been since we had one? ive heard they come about every 50,000 years or so. these things have been fluxuating since the beginning of life on this planet, species either adapt or become extinct, now all we can do is hopelessly try to save as many species as possible.... when i look at he attitude of people and how little they really care it makes me think our species is doomed...we dont have the ability to function as a whole or like mind, our differences will be the end of us. Industry only cares about today, not what happens 40 years from now..after all-they will be dead then and F**K all to everyone else :D with a smile

to slow global warming you have to shut down factorys, and smoke stacks and petrol using autos, How do you tell the rest of the world who rely on the product causing..or helping global warming on its way to stop using that product and think of another way to make a living? people wont sacrifice themselves for the sake of our planets future..and they surely wont stop having babies to help the population problem, we worry about global warming when more likely we are going to suffer some major epidemic to thin the herds-forgive my bluntness. Humans can survive just about any climate change,..most other animals in the Wild cannot..thats why so many species go extinct..due to climactic changes or changes in the its food source, its been that way for a couple billion years and its going to be that way for a few billion more.

Humans would be really Screwed if all machinery...electronics anything relying on magnetism stopped working suddenly...no trucks delivering food to the grocery stores, No major crops because those rely on machinery to feed water and harvest, the only ones that would survive would be those near or on a farm, ....that would just about wipe out half our population due to starvation alone...I wont even get into the water pumps quitting.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Look at the melting this way. If the caps melt we can get that oil in alaska without putting as much money in. And it'll be around sooner. So if we use up our oil and melt the caps we'll just have more to use again.
Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Fullmetal660 »

Just detonate some nuclear bombs and then global warming will be cancelled out by nuclear winter. Problem solved. lol.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Honestly, I don't even think we CAN cause the same amount of damage that must have happened in the Permian die-off (something like 98%of all species were destroyed) or even the Mesozoic extinction. Maybe launching Armageddon, but global warming? The hydrocarbons came *from the atmosphere*. We have much bigger fish to fry when it comes to unnatural tampering with the world's ecosystem. Honestly, stopping the destruction of the Amazon is a bigger priority to me that lowering carbon emissions. (Remember the Rainforests?)

The faddish nature of Global Warming is a big part of what makes me roll my eyes when I hear people talk about it. Not only am I unconvinced as to whether or not it will have any real detrimental impact on the environment, there are SO MANY things we are doing that are having REAL and TERRIBLE effects. But nope! we can't use nuclear power, we have to lower emissions, and we better not litter! (Don't get me wrong, I hate having trash all over the place as much as anyone, but that's mostly aesthetics) It just seems like a smoke and mirror show to distract us from real problems.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Global warming has become the neverending war against Oceana. We've always been at war with Oceana (except for 30 years ago when we were worried about global cooling).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

And there's me thinking that was the 'war on terror'......
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The Dreaming wrote:Not only am I unconvinced as to whether or not it will have any real detrimental impact on the environment, there are SO MANY things we are doing that are having REAL and TERRIBLE effects. But nope! we can't use nuclear power, we have to lower emissions, and we better not litter! (Don't get me wrong, I hate having trash all over the place as much as anyone, but that's mostly aesthetics) It just seems like a smoke and mirror show to distract us from real problems.
*shrug* That's why I don't call it Global Warming. That's only one tiny part of a whole mixed bag of the effect we're having on the environment. Environmental systems are delicate. The actual effects look small, but environmental systems have a built-in snowball effect.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

finn wrote:And there's me thinking that was the 'war on terror'......
....And the "war on poverty". And "the war on drugs".
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Cail wrote:Well, we could actually do without Detroit and Chicago.

Now, if a Liberal had said that, I know several thin-skinned Cons who would've dedicated a page or so to decrying the Liberal Hatred Of The Mid West.

(There may have been actual hand-wringing! And, I imagine, some of that little What Do I Do dance that Homer does...)
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Ever been? Detroit's a Hell hole. Chicago's got some absolutely beautiful architecture, but it's also the capital of corrupt Democratic politics.
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Lived in Chicago for several years. I still have the pizza FedExed occasionally. Wish I could do the same with the Live Blues.
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It is a nice place to visit. No way I'd ever want to live there tough.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Not even sure of that, my Dad lives there and I visit semi-regularly. Freezing in Winter, hot and humid in summer and apart from the music, not a great deal to offer compared to other cities.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Except the music, the museums, the waterfront...

(NOTE: The Liberal continues to defend the midwest from the conservatives.)
-- James Madison

Return to “Coercri”