San Diego Comic Con... a sucky, incomplete report

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

jwaneeta
Bloodguard

San Diego Comic Con... a sucky, incomplete report

Post by jwaneeta »

I worked this con, so I didn't even get to see the one thing I panted for: A Watchmen sneak preview. Tons of stuff is being posted online, and I missed all of it because I was seeking a better publisher.

However, I did manage to have fun with my friends and get face time with Walter Keonig (thanks to the brazen charm of my publisher*) and I got pics of my pectorals at the beach. Hey. I've killed myself since February for a hint of bazoom. So check it out in the gallery.

I love cosplay, but I was so busy I didn't get any good pics. However, this link should satisfy the taste for delectable horror:

gizmodo.com/5029737/diy-iron-man-suit-is-beer-belly-ready-wrong

Are you not horrified? Scroll down. :D

That's my little report. Please remember that my bathing suit was pure boob-flattening spandex. And I'm a skinny wraith. If you see cleavage there, that's a six month pectoral mission of iron. Thank you.

*edit: Erm, the other one, who doesn't suck. ;)
Last edited by jwaneeta on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I don't see any pics of you; just a couple of chunky guys with too much time on their hands and not enough sense in their heads.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

I'm just trying to be cool. The pinups are in the Gallery.

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=12

As per KW rules.

OMG TELL ME MY PECS ARE GUD!!
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Also, you should know that I bought so many back-catalogue issues of Iron Man that one dealer cried, "Oh, F**k this, will you marry me!?"

Heh. I had to mail all my Iron Man issues home. Great con. :D
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

I was there on Thursday trying to get through the Portfolio Review. Oy, that was a nightmare. Four hour wait for one review and every darn booth seemed to be taking their time looking over portfolios. If you were in the high twenties on roll sheets your day was wasted, let alone I missed the chance to watch Will Wright speak about the new game Spore.

Got a pic of Stan Lee's back while he was waving to the crowd. He turned right as I snapped. Damn. Picked up some old Red Devil and Fantastic Four comic books. Over all I had a good time the minute I ditched the Portfolio Review and went down to the convention hall.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

GUD PECS !! :)
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Kevin164 wrote:I was there on Thursday trying to get through the Portfolio Review. Oy, that was a nightmare. Four hour wait for one review and every darn booth seemed to be taking their time looking over portfolios. If you were in the high twenties on roll sheets your day was wasted, let alone I missed the chance to watch Will Wright speak about the new game Spore.
Oh dear, oh dear. That portfolio review thing is a mess. It's really better to directly to a publisher's booth. Check out a table the day before and they will usually give you a time when someone will look your stuff over.

Hey, if I'm there next year (likely) I'd be happy to look at your portfolio.

I wish I'd known a fellow K-Watcher was there this year. Next time let's have a drink, hey?
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Vain wrote:GUD PECS !! :)

*preens*

THANK YOU.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I left ya a little comment. :mrgreen:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

jwaneeta wrote:
Kevin164 wrote:I was there on Thursday trying to get through the Portfolio Review. Oy, that was a nightmare. Four hour wait for one review and every darn booth seemed to be taking their time looking over portfolios. If you were in the high twenties on roll sheets your day was wasted, let alone I missed the chance to watch Will Wright speak about the new game Spore.
Oh dear, oh dear. That portfolio review thing is a mess. It's really better to directly to a publisher's booth. Check out a table the day before and they will usually give you a time when someone will look your stuff over.

Hey, if I'm there next year (likely) I'd be happy to look at your portfolio.

I wish I'd known a fellow K-Watcher was there this year. Next time let's have a drink, hey?

I'll be going to the SDCC next year and I'll take you up on that offer on the drink and I'll buy the first round, especially with the traveling I have to do in order to get there. I drove down from the Oregon border. Caught the train into San Diego out of Irvine, then made the mistake of taking Broadway instead of Kettner over to Harbor Drive, so I ended up walking a mile square in order to reach the SDCC. That will teach me to follow the crowds with suitcases :P.

I saw the publisher booths on my walk through after I left the Port Review and made note of it for 2009 to hit them earlier. They all were pretty busy when I went through for me to drop my portfolio on them. The last time I was at the Con was in 2001 and the Port Review was a lot smoother than what I just went through this year.

I would love to share what I have of my Portfolio with you. To see my art please feel free to visit my BLOG under the Web Site button on my posts here at the Watch, then you don't have to wait till next Con. :)
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

jwaneeta wrote:Also, you should know that I bought so many back-catalogue issues of Iron Man that one dealer cried, "Oh, F**k this, will you marry me!?"

Heh. I had to mail all my Iron Man issues home. Great con. :D
So what issues did you get? How compatable would your IM collection be with mine, I wonder....
my collection wrote:Iron Man: Vol 1 1, 20-26, 28, 30-34, 36-54, 56-67, 70, 72-75, 79-81, 84-86, 88-89, 91, 100, 112-133, 232; Vol 2 1; Vol 3 1, 46, 47; Vol 4 1-present
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Ohhhh wow, I have so many issues of IM now it would take half a day to organize and give you ish numbers. Apart from the Demon in a Bottle TPB, I start with regular comics at about IM 138. Then I have blibs and blabs through to current Invincible, Director of SHIELD, etc. -- a library shelf's worth.

My faves so far are Mask in the Iron Man (bwah! BWAHAHAHA!) and Hypervelocity. I also liked Tony's second wallow in the gutter courtesy of Obediah Stane.

Of course I have a few inevitable seconds. If I ever get this pile sorted, maybe we can trade. :D

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”