Your favorite quotation !!!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Not my favorite quote (cuz, who can pick just one?!?!) but one I use (or paraphrase) a lot as it can be useful: You are bitter, and bitterness is a sign of concern. I trust that.
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Fist and Faith wrote:So SRD is to blame, eh?!? :evil:

;) :lol:
I guess you could say he was indirectly responsible for the changes that led me to bother you comfy ol' atheists here! :)
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Smile when you say that, pal!!

Oh, you did. Very well. Carry on. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Fist and Faith wrote:Smile when you say that, pal!!

Oh, you did. Very well. Carry on. :D
:D
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Dan65802 wrote:
jelerak wrote:'Nom.'
That was one of the coolest moments in the series. There are so many depressing harsh moments in the book that you relish the times of hope. When Covenant says "Nom", you can't help but think, "Yep, that'll probably do it."

- Dan -
Agreed wholeheartedly! I also had the same response to Vain's
Chosen, you must embrace us.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

Ooops. I forgot another of my favorites:
Joy is in the ears that hear not in the mouth that speaks!
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

It was a very short quote, but a cameo appearance by an old woman took TC from the brink of death to being able to carry out his mission, and he didn't even remember her. "Ah, mercy," she said. He absorbed that quote without every knowing where it came from.

I spend way too much time on Kevin's Watch.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Your favorite quotation !!!

Post by SleeplessOne »

some of my faves (and there are sooo many to choose from) :

"Do you call this health ? It's a lie !" - the Unbeliever himself rejects Hile Troy's assertions about the gifts of the Land

"Those who know me have no need of my name"
- Amok
When he was done, Birinair said, "Darkness withers the heart. Beware of it, guest".
"But courtesy is like a drink at a mountain stream", murmured Tohrm, grinning as if at a secret joke.
"do you know what culture shock is?" the pre-amble to one of TC's cheery 'real world' tales, and one of the first times he opens up in the Land

I could go on, and intend to

:biggrin:
Last edited by SleeplessOne on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

This quote isn't from the books, but from my girlfriend, who recently started LFB ;-)

She's at the chapter "The Legend of Berek Halfhand" where Atiaran sings and tells Berek's tale. Up to now, she's mostly felt pity and sympathy for Covenant and his situation. After reading the chapter, she said:

"I get the feeling I'm about to really hate Covenant."

(now there's some intuition!)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Relayer wrote:(now there's some intuition!)
:)

(It's been my experience that intuition in a girlfriend is a two-edged sword. Careful, man. :wink: )
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

LOL. ;-)

Last night she decided to re-read the Berek legend and the stuff before it at their home rather than going forward to the next chapter. At one point she said "he's not gonna try to get with Lena, is he? that would really piss me off." (she really did say that). Fortunately I wasn't looking at her.

My reply was to explain the meaning of the word "RAFO" :)

AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

Relayer wrote:This quote isn't from the books, but from my girlfriend, who recently started LFB ;-)
Being with someone who is reading the series for the first time must be almost as fun as reading it yourself for the first time!
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

It is... but she's only just gotten to the Land. She sees things I didn't see or have forgotten, and maybe even things I've never seen discussed here. The hardest part is letting her have her own experience of the story, while still pointing out cool or important things she might have missed, rather than trying to make her see the same things I do.

vt53
Woodhelvennin

Post by vt53 »

"Don't touch me"
" a universe with no edge in space, no begining or end in time"
White Gold Ark
Servant of the Land

favorite quotation

Post by White Gold Ark »

This is my first post on the forum :D

The Nom scenes are pretty intense, but another quotation I like is from FR.
Spoiler
There is a part describing Thomas Covenant, "He is no more human than the stars: a being of such illimitable loneliness and grandeur that he both defies and deifies understanding." i think thats how it goes, not 100% sure. But it does a great job of capturing the power, and pain of Covenant in the Final Chronicals
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be welcome to the Watch, WGA. Be Well Come and True.

Nice choice. :)
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

This line to me had so much power & grief in it that it just floors me considering who is saying it and under the incredible circumstances what it actually means.
"No one may be compelled to fight the Despiser. He is resisted willingly, or not at all. Unbeliever, I release you. You turn from us to save life in your own world. We will not be undone by such motives. And if darkness should fall upon us, still the beauty of the Land endures. If we are a dream-and you the dreamer-then the Land is imperishable, for you will not forget.
"Be not afraid, ur-Lord Thomas Covenant. Go in Peace."
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Relayer wrote:LOL. ;-)

Last night she decided to re-read the Berek legend and the stuff before it at their home rather than going forward to the next chapter. At one point she said "he's not gonna try to get with Lena, is he? that would really piss me off." (she really did say that). Fortunately I wasn't looking at her.

My reply was to explain the meaning of the word "RAFO" :)
How did she react to the later chapters?
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

Dawngreeter wrote:This line to me had so much power & grief in it that it just floors me considering who is saying it and under the incredible circumstances what it actually means.
Absolutely beautiful. Shows tremendous cultivation of character on the part of M. So many people (myself especially) display so much more self-centeredness when we don't have (much less meaningful) things go our way. Very inspirational.
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. The quote by Mhoram when he releases TC from the call to tend to the little girl was truly a moment of anguish, compassion, and despair. But what overcame all that was Mhoram's respect for TC's desire to help the helpless, and thereby release him. The Lords were not helpless; that little girl totally was. At the risk of losing the entire life of the Land, he let Covenant go. Wow, strong stuff. Awesome choice.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”