Whatcha been playing lately?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Lord Foul wrote:
CovenantJr wrote: When I'm able to access my PS2 again, I shall commence Disgaea (since it's been recommended to me, and sounds odd enough to be interesting).
Cov, please PM or post your impressions of Disgaea, because I've always wanted to get that game (plus, Disgaea 3 is coming out on PS3).
Will do.
Lord Foul wrote:On my front, I just beat MGS2. I didn't find Raiden annoying or the storyline confusing. Very far from it. It's pretty clear to me, but that may be because I have the foresight of MGS4, which I've beat three times (and will probably beat 10 more times before 2009).
I wouldn't say I found the MGS2 storyline confusing, just bizarre. Although didn't annoy me as such, it was a disappointment to not control Snake. In any case, MGS2 was the last one I played, so I don't know where it goes after that...
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Actually, I've had Disgaea for a while and unfortunately never got into it. It struck me as such a time suck. It seems like it might get interesting if you didn't have to keep building and building your characters forever to get them strong enough to take on the next scenario. Maybe I just needed a hint guide, but if there is one thing I don't appreciate at my age is a video that requires you to repeat things several times to build up your characters. When I was younger and had a lot of time on my hands, I think I would have really enjoyed it.

I played Phantom Bride or Prince or something like that (not Hourglass), and found that to be much more fun, but it did suffer from the same problem. Eventually it hit some point where I decided I just didn't want to keep going through the motions and quit. I dunno...maybe I'm playing it wrong. But as I love tactics games, I figured this would be an instant happy for me, but it wasn't. It is rather clever though.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Reminds me of trying to play FF games. Quite often I was getting through them much faster than my characters were levelling. Got to the end of disc three of FFVIII with my characters all below level 25 the first time--couldn't beat Seifer, ended up restarting and trying to level more. FF2 ws the worst. No levels, just individual attribute increases based on what happens to them in the fights. Spent hours grinding to try and get the chars ready for the next part, eventually lost interest. I never have the attention span for FF these days.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I actually thought ff2 was kinda fun :). You just have to know how to exploit the system, which seems weird, but remember that they are Japanese. For example, you do a move, then cancel it, and it's as if you got the skill boost. Rinse and repeat. I think its obvious they intend for you to do this, because you only ever get temporary characters in the 4th slot (which you cant use this exploit on) and they kept it in the ps1 version.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Murrin wrote:Reminds me of trying to play FF games. Quite often I was getting through them much faster than my characters were levelling. Got to the end of disc three of FFVIII with my characters all below level 25 the first time
I had a similar problem with VIII, actually. Didn't get as far as disc 3, but did find myself increasingly struggling with my characters being significantly under-powered.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Hmm, didn't know about that. Used to get the weakest characters to melee other members of the party (including thmeselves) to get their defense up, though.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

CovenantJr wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
CovenantJr wrote: When I'm able to access my PS2 again, I shall commence Disgaea (since it's been recommended to me, and sounds odd enough to be interesting).
Cov, please PM or post your impressions of Disgaea, because I've always wanted to get that game (plus, Disgaea 3 is coming out on PS3).
Will do.
Alright, so my impressions of Disgaea are: kind of fun in the short term, but ultimately somewhat boring. It's just a bit shallow. At first, it seems action-tactical, like Front Mission, but after several battles it becomes apparent that tactics don't really come into it (except in one solitary battle). You mostly just move your characters around so you can club enemies from behind. Woo hoo.

Ok, that's not quite true. The best part of the game is actually the Item World, which is a side-feature to the main game. It's kind of a 'get as far down through the dungeon as you can' situation, which tends to be more fun that the main quest. Unfortunately, the only reason for entering the Item World is to power up your items for the main game; it doesn't gain you anything beyond that.

Still, I pressed on with the core game for a while, until I got close to the end of the plot. At that point, though, I came upon a niggly battle that just got on my nerves, and I dropped the game. I would recommend not bothering unless you're an undemanding gamer. Not a bad game, just a very mediocre one.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Morrowind. Every time I've tried to play it, I've hated it. This time (the third or fourth try) I 'got' it. It's astonishingly addictive. I had to stop playing before it sucked me in.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I've not been playing Age of Conan and I've decided to cancel my subscription after two months. It's a very ambitious game, it looks fantastic and the combat system, which is a lot more active than games like WoW, works very well.

Unfortunately it still has a number of serious bugs. I kept having the grey map bug, which causes your in-game maps to disappear and then the game needs to check and restore its database when you next start it up (that takes about 40 minutes). Then there's the endless patching, it seems like everytime I want to play the game it has to download 200mb of patch first, which takes time. I don't have a huge amount of time to play, so not being able to just jump on for half an hour is a major issue.

Finally there was the game community itself, which just felt really weak to me. I played for a month and I went in a group once and apart from that never spoke to anybody else. It's as if there's an 'M' or two missing from MMORPG. It's a shame, because the game has a lot going for it and Robert E. Howard's world has been very well realised. Sadly, I think the whole thing is destined to fall by the wayside when Warhammer Online starts up.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Well that be there because you are NOT playing the game. This is for games you are playing. I can name loads of games I am NOT playing.. Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, C&C, Warcraft, etc :P :P :P :P

What is Warhammer Online?
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Well, I had been playing it but I've now decided to stop because I can't be bothered with it anymore.

Warhammer Online is pretty much what it sounds like: an MMO set in the Warhammer world. Early impressions are that it might finally be the first serious competitor to WoW, but it has far more of a player vs. player slant, with lots of skirmishes. objective-based games and community quests (where players will be grouped with others to go and achieve an objective) within the game world, as well as server vs. server combat in three major battlegrounds. The NDA from the open beta has recently been lifted and first impressions are good, the game is released next month and I'm thinking about pre-ordering.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_online
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

I'm playing the PC version of Assassin's Creed. Loads of fun, though I now walk through crowds of people IRL looking for the ones that would benefit from a knife between their shoulder blades. There are more than I imagined. :twisted:

In the middle of an exposed combat last night, I just ganked a guard by stabbing him downwards through his skull with my short knife... so it's a bit different from Kingdom Hearts. 8O
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I am in love with Super Smash Bros Brawl.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

^ Heh. I spent most of March, April, May and June playing SSBB.

Me, I recently got an Xbox360. Picked up Eternal Sonata and Soul Caliber 4. Both a lot of fun.

-jay
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

On FaceBook
The DnD Tiny Adventures application.
It's a simple point and click, but as someone fairly new to the DnD world, it's a nice introduction.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'm currently downloading the Warhammer Online beta and playing old school Championship Manager 01/02. It's purely PC gaming for me at the moment, since my Xbox 360 has just red-ringed. It was 18 months old, that's a good innings for a 360!
Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Fullmetal660 »

Trying to get all 1000 achievement points for civilization revolution on my xbox 360 at the moment. Starts off easy enough but it gets really, really frustrating, lol.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Assassin's Creed on my cousin's Xbox. Can't wait to get the pc version.

I have to go now. :D

--A
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I've been playing lots of Civilisation 4 recently. I have a friend I play with, and I always beat him, but he's getting gradually better.

I'd like to find more poeple to play with, but for a hugely popular game, there don't seem to be many people who play it.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Nathan wrote:I've been playing lots of Civilisation 4 recently. I have a friend I play with, and I always beat him, but he's getting gradually better.

I'd like to find more poeple to play with, but for a hugely popular game, there don't seem to be many people who play it.
I've been a huge fan of the series, but the only time I tried playing online... well, I jumped into the middle of a game in progress, found out that I had one city left and a bunch of enemy armies surrounding it, and gave up :(

I should try a game from the start online...

Return to “PC & Console Games”