LHC Update

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

LHC Update

Post by Stutty »

lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

Haven't seen any news on the new CERN supercollider lately, so went to check it out and wasted lots of time I should have been working.

Three points:
1 - This thing is four hours from my house, and like an idiot I did not tour the tunnels before it was too late.
2 - The cryogenics are online now, and the sectors are cooling.
3 - Do you really underestand how cold 1.9 Kelvin is? 0 Kelvin is basically no energy at all.

stutt
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm currently checking the temperatures on my cryo-pumps. 10-12 K. ;) Yep, that's cold. ;)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

oh! cool!!!!!! 8O pics are AWESOME!!! 3 DAYS!! i went to the countdown site too!!! soooo cool. (no pun intended)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I certainly hope these guys know what the hellfire they're doing... :hairs: so are we all going to die on the 7th or the 8th?
fall far and well Pilots!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

It was Hyperception's dream to work on this project when he was a physics major in community college over a decade ago. I need to remind him activation is in three days. Thanks guys.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Awesome pics...looks like the Cube from the movie of the same name...well, except for the fact that it's a sphere. :D

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Why does it look like the Death Star, and when can we all expect to lose our lives? Or has this sucker already been turned on?
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Large Hadron Collider

Post by Queeaqueg »

I see this mentioned anywhere.

There going to be firing the Large Hadron Collider soon. Large particle accelerator where they will be firing high energy particles at each other to try and discover new particles and find out how elementary particles acquire mass or something like that.
Of course there are fears that this thing could end the world through the development of micro black holes, strangelets, magnetic monoploes, vacuum bubbles and new dimensions but scientist say that there is little empirical evidence to suggest this and that they are unlikely... hey scientists have never been wrong before :P.
Shows you how far science will take things to prove something.

hmmm large under ground lab in the mountains doing big physics experiments which could cause multi-dimensions....

I smell a story for a computer game!
wayfriend

Re: Large Hadron Collider

Post by wayfriend »

Queeaqueg wrote:Of course there are fears that this thing could end the world through the development of micro black holes, strangelets, magnetic monoploes, vacuum bubbles and new dimensions but scientist say that there is little empirical evidence to suggest this and that they are unlikely... hey scientists have never been wrong before :P.
Sounds like an SF novel I just read. Seriously. Jack McDevitt's Odyssey.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Merged.
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Ya, this does sound like SciFi. I wouldn't worry though, cause I'm sure the good Alien's will save us from killing ourselves like this; well, as long as the bad Aliens don't get in the way.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Probably just me but this thing feels like a story from a James Bond film.

Some evil scientist has developed the LHC and saying to the world that he is going it to help the world but actually he wants to destroy all life and plans to create blackholes or strange matter.
"ah Mr Bond, you can't stop me now and my particle accelerator, soon the world will be nothing more than a mass of strange matter muhahahaha!"
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

This scares the bej*sus out of me! My big sister and her family (incl my god-daughter) live within the ring of this thing. Making matters even worse, the cleverest guy I know (known him well from 9yo-18yo, casually since), works for Cern and he's only involved in developing the software that interprets what's going on. If he's on the fringes, then the people on the edge, must be super-types.

Patrick Moore (I bow down before his wisdom) was on telly tonight saying the chances of them creating a black-hole-destroying-the-world was about the same as a UFO landing on the Loch Ness Monster's back.......BUT HOW DOES HE KNOW?????????? Nothing like this has ever been done before, and just for this weekend I find myself a complete techno-phobe. I'm scared.

Next week, everyone please feel free to laugh at me.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Stonemaybe, surely your programmer friend can put your mind at ease. I'm actually jealous of your family living that close. Very cool science karma to me.

Regarding safety, I've seen on TV and read here and there that while the ideas of micro-blackholes has a scary sound, the energies these guys are dealing with are just not that remarkable. Yes, they are getting really freaking close to the speed of light, and yes they are attempting to recreate energy levels simlar to the earliest moments of the big bang, but they just aren't dealing with that much mass. I've heard the exeriments they will be doing are comparable to things that happen in the upper atmosphere every day.

www.uslhc.us/What_is_the_LHC/LHC_Safety

Will review later.

stutt
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Stonemaybe, surely your programmer friend can put your mind at ease. I'm actually jealous of your family living that close. Very cool science karma to me.
You...you...you.. techno-phile, you! :D

Have you heard the one about the extra-dimensional god-daughter? 8O
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

here is a nice " walk thru" of what its all about..mite ease any trepidation or not..lots of info and links included..

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7543089.stm
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD

Return to “The Loresraat”