New Credit Card Rules

Archive From The 'Tank
[Syl]
Unfettered One

New Credit Card Rules

Post by [Syl] »

What the new credit card reforms may mean for you
The Federal Reserve Board will vote Dec. 18 on a sweeping set of credit card regulation reforms. What will the proposed credit card industry rules mean for cardholders?
  • Limited interest rate hikes
    No more universal default
    More time to pay monthly bills
    Clearer due dates and times
    Highest interest balances paid first
    Limits on over-the-limit fees
    No more double-cycle billing
    Clearer credit terms
    Subprime credit cards for people with bad credit
Better late than never.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I think everything, including recovery will come better late than never, as long as we can pry Bush away from the auto makers until Obama gets in...

That's smart, I stopped using credit cards 5 years ago and never will again.
fall far and well Pilots!
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

And the result? The credit card companies will find other ways to charge - such as annual fees. So everyone will suffer.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

So by changing the rules, they hope to encourage more people to move back to using credit?

(I guess I'm in favour in principle...I've mentioned before that we have new credit regulations here too as of a year or two ago...if nothing else, they're good for protecting the consumer, even if they do make it slightly harder to actually get credit...not a bad thing I think.)

--A
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Subprime credit cards for people with bad credit

Will they never learn?
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Read the link - the new terms for sub-prime cards are that they can no longer send out cards pre-loaded with debt.

I haven't had a card in over two decades. Maybe I'll get one for emergencies now. (Ironically, my credit rating is low because I only spend money I've already earned. Maybe if I start buying groceries on a credit card and pay the bill when I get home...)
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Farsailer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Farsailer »

I only keep 2 credit cards, one I use all the time and the other I keep for backup. I now buy practically everything on my credit card. I set up automatic payment of the card balance from my checking account so I never miss a payment or pay interest. I get some benefits from this: when I get the bill, I see at a glance almost everything I've been spending money on during the month; I get frequent flier miles with that card; and trips to the ATM are few and far between. Flew to South Carolina for free last year. There is an annual fee, but I consider it worth it for that benefit alone.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything you have.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I've heard frequent flier miles these days are practically worthless. Clark Howard recommends going for the straight cash back option if available (which I have on my USAA card along with an insanely low APR).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I probably have more credit card debt than all of you combined. :lol: They're just a way for people to live beyond their means, and we pay for it eventually. The companies should be able to do whatever they want. If we don't like it, we don't have to have cards. Just learn to oive with the money you actually have.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Yeah, but letting them do as they please has left the board slanted in their favor. If I want a loan for a house or car, I first have to use a credit card for a while.
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Vain wrote:Subprime credit cards for people with bad credit

Will they never learn?
I had the same thought. :lol:

And although Pliss says they're at least not pre-loaded with debt, I still think it just means that much longer, unless they already learned the hard way.

(I have no credit card, and no debt whatsoever...to get my credit rating I just opened a store account, bought one thing, paid it off the next day, and that was good enough to provide a positive rating for renting my place etc. Dunno if it'll be different here when I want a house...better check.)

--A
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

But I like my new shiny credit card thingy that gives me access to a concierge type person that will find and book all kinds of stuff for me with a simple phone call :)

And I get free travel insurance and stuff....oh wait...I'm prolly paying for that with fees and stuff...oh well :) It's shiny - I think I'll keep it
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Plissken wrote:Yeah, but letting them do as they please has left the board slanted in their favor. If I want a loan for a house or car, I first have to use a credit card for a while.
I'm pretty sure paying utilities, rent, phone, and other bills like that on time can establish a credit history. Combined with a steady job, and a downpayment don't hurt!, won't you be able to get a house or car? I'm not saying, I'm asking.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

Apparently, having no credit history is just as damning as having a bad one. And no matter how many other types of payment histories one has, the credit card makes a big impression - I am assuming that it has something to do with the fact that it is one of the only credit history items not secured with collateral, and isn't for a specific utility or physical service?

dw
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Fist and Faith wrote:Just learn to oive with the money you actually have.
That's the problem. Our economy is based irrevocably on people spending on credit. If people stopped doing that, we'd have another recession on top of our recession. Hence, the changes, to lure people back into the water.
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

Big retailers are having big credit problems, because once they achieved a certain critical mass - back when credit flowed like insults at a Friar's club roast - they found out they could make 2-5x the money by becoming creditors and offering branded store cards... this is really coming back to haunt them now, especially when combined with very slow new sales as consumers are in mid freak-out.

dw
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Actually there is another trend Im seeing. Because retailers have to give a percentage to the credit card companies when someone uses a debit or credit card, they are starting to charge a sur-charge if you use a credit or debit card rather than cash or check.

Here is the most common sign Im seeing

"In order to keep our prices low for everyone, we will be charging a $1 fee on all sales that use a credit or debit card. In order to avoid this fee please pay by cash or check."
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

Actually, stores that do that are violating the agreements they have with Visa and MC. They aren't allowed to charge a fee for use, and can be dropped for doing so.

dw
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Avatar wrote: And although Pliss says they're at least not pre-loaded with debt,
How does that work? You get a credit card on which you already owe money?
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Brother Charn wrote:Actually, stores that do that are violating the agreements they have with Visa and MC. They aren't allowed to charge a fee for use, and can be dropped for doing so.

dw
True but from what I have seen on the web on this, Visa and MC are very reluctant to drop anyone for this violation.

Those that were turned in found that they could give a 'discount' of (insert amount here) per sale for those that pay with with cash or check. Which doesnt violate the agreement at all.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Return to “Coercri”