David Eddings

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

David Eddings

Post by Fullmetal660 »

Has anybody read any stuff by david eddings? I've read the belgariad and am currently reading the mallorean, and I have to say thats its quite good.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I've read them, but I find they grow to be one-note after a while. If you read his other series they are essentially the same story with different names. Having said that, I like the Belgariad and the Mallorean, but on a completely different reading level than SRD's work. There's simply no comparison.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Likewise I read the Belgariad and Malloreon a long time ago and enjoyed them, though I didn't think he did the prophesy side very well (I mean, why get so upset when Durnik died - they knew he was 'the man who lived twice' or whatever it was).Then I tried his next lot, and remember thinking 'that guy's Silk in mandorallen's body, etc' .he seemed to be using exactly the same characters. Put me off him completely.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

I've read both Belgariad and Mallorean. Belgariad was the standard "fantasy" plot - though fairly well written. I thought it was a very fun, light read. I agree that the Mallorean essentially recycles the Belgariad. The writing seems less inspired too. The one saving of grace (and point of creativity) in the Mallorean is that Eddings has the characters notice the recycled nature of their adventure, plot points, and characters they meet. So it's not entirely a retread of the earlier piece.

Entertaining light reads. Fun, but not much more.
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Re: David Eddings

Post by Cleburne »

Fullmetal660 wrote:Has anybody read any stuff by david eddings? I've read the belgariad and am currently reading the mallorean, and I have to say thats its quite good.
Fullmetal if you like the series like I did I would recommend that you read about "Belgarth" and even "Polgara the sorceress" both are quiet good and basically give you the history of these important characters and also lead you up to the beginning of The Belgariad. I enjoyed them anyway and especially Belgarth as he is a rogue and the book is quiet humourous :D
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
I read the Tamuli and the Elenium and they're both trilogys of 3 books. My girlfriend leant them to me, and they were good reads - and I did like the religeous themes expressed - but it was soo..

No matter what the main character was up against, he'd defeat it - he was pretty much invincible.. And in all 6 books only one of his companions died.. A very cheesy Ultra-Superhero-Epic. So I feel his work is the epitome of Childish fantasy.

I like my stuff darker..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Matthias
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Matthias »

I read them about two years ago, finished both series in less than a year (4-6 months aprox.) and enjoyed them immensely...too bad I can't remember what they were about. :?

Nah, I remember the storyline, but that's about it. I was just getting into that sort of fantasy--breaking away from LOTR and Brian Jacques, and I loved them so much that I couldn't get enough of them...just wish I could remember what each book was about...
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Don't think I'll ever reread them but I enjoyed the belgeraid and mallorean for what I got from them (enjoyment).
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Although I mostly agree with those who say that David Eddings' books has become too repetetive for their own good, I think it is worth noting that the first books (The Belgariad) predates most of the current deluge of standardized fantasy and I am willing to excuse it use of themes that have since become cliché for that reason. I remember the first five books as quite enjoyable.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I only read the 1st book, and that was decades ago. I hate to trash something that others enjoy, so I'll respectfully say that I didn't care for it (to put it mildly). Perhaps I didn't give it a chance, or I was too young to judge it properly. But if it felt childish and simplistic to my teenage sensibilities, I don't see how my opinion will change now. I have no plans to revisit this series and give it another chance. I remember thinking that Terry Brooks was better, and that's saying quite a lot!

This reminds me . . . did anyone ever read The Iron Tower Trilogy by Dennis L. McKiernan? It's the most appalling example of Tolkien-imitation I've ever seen, complete with Hobbit-like creatures (Warrows . . . the main one is named, Tuckerby Underbank!) with large furry feet and burrow homes. There is a "Mines of Moria" sequence that is virtually identical to Tolkien's, down to the Balrog-like creature, the Watcher in the water (with tentacles, etc.), and a "Bridge of Khazad-dum" scene! I don't remember much from this book, which I read around the same time as Eddings, but the feeling of disgust is still very strong. If you haven't read this series, I recommend these books for the sheer, astonishing experience of seeing how blatant someone can imitate Tolkien, and yet still get away with being published. The parallels are too numerous to remember.

A quick Google search provided this:
It should be painfully obvious that these two trilogies are so close as to be almost interchangeable. McKiernen writes his story with barely enough minimal changes to avoid a lawsuit.
Sorry to thread-jack. Like I said, the Eddings discussion reminded me of what I disliked about most 80s fantasy.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Malik23 wrote:I only read the 1st book, and that was decades ago. I hate to trash something that others enjoy, so I'll respectfully say that I didn't care for it (to put it mildly). Perhaps I didn't give it a chance, or I was too young to judge it properly. But if it felt childish and simplistic to my teenage sensibilities, I don't see how my opinion will change now. I have no plans to revisit this series and give it another chance. I remember thinking that Terry Brooks was better, and that's saying quite a lot!

This reminds me . . . did anyone ever read The Iron Tower Trilogy by Dennis L. McKiernan? It's the most appalling example of Tolkien-imitation I've ever seen, complete with Hobbit-like creatures (Warrows . . . the main one is named, Tuckerby Underbank!) with large furry feet and burrow homes. There is a "Mines of Moria" sequence that is virtually identical to Tolkien's, down to the Balrog-like creature, the Watcher in the water (with tentacles, etc.), and a "Bridge of Khazad-dum" scene! I don't remember much from this book, which I read around the same time as Eddings, but the feeling of disgust is still very strong. If you haven't read this series, I recommend these books for the sheer, astonishing experience of seeing how blatant someone can imitate Tolkien, and yet still get away with being published. The parallels are too numerous to remember.

A quick Google search provided this:
It should be painfully obvious that these two trilogies are so close as to be almost interchangeable. McKiernen writes his story with barely enough minimal changes to avoid a lawsuit.
Sorry to thread-jack. Like I said, the Eddings discussion reminded me of what I disliked about most 80s fantasy.
The slow start to the Eddings series can be directly attributed to the fact that the main character is a child of early teen years living under the protection of an overbearing maternal figure. I found that if you get into the 2nd book it becomes more interesting, but it still tends towards caricature instead of character overall.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

rdhopeca, yes I admit that I didn't really give the series a fair chance. I know I'd be upset if people thought the Gap wasn't worth finishing after reading only The Real Story. I'm willing to be convinced, but nothing I've ever heard has convinced me to read the entire trilogy.

Perhaps I should start a new thread for my McKiernan rant, but I can't resist adding the following review from Amazon. This guy said it better than I did:

19 of 23 people found the following review helpful:
2.0 out of 5 stars A Tolkien Zealot's View on "The Iron Tower", November 29, 2001
By A Customer
The only question that really plagues me after reading "The Iron Tower" is simple - why was it written? Mr. McKiernan is obviously a fan of Tolkien and, to be more precise, "The Lord of the Rings," which he even admits in the preface. No shame in that. I too adore Tolkien's work, and, in my mind, "The Lord of the Rings" is the greatest fantasy story ever told. But in spite of McKiernan's admiration for said genre pioneer, he was content to take "The Lord of the Rings" and recycle it, albeit with a handful of different character names. And while he was busy attempting to pass this story off as his own, he forgot everything that made Tolkien so wonderful in the process - and anything that makes good fantasy in general.

"The Iron Tower" isn't only a shameless copy of a beloved tale, but it's also quite poorly written. One has to wonder if McKiernan was out of elementary school when he began jotting it down. Dialogue between characters is particularly absurd, and again it is because McKiernan attempts (and severely fails) to copy the more classical style of Tolkien. One example of thousands is this: "Hai! You have named it well; for Jet it was: no horse is blacker!" And aside from the poor quality of this tidbit, any Tolkien fan, even unfamiliar with McKiernan, will think to themselves, "Hmmm... Shadowfax, anyone?"

The book opens with very clear parallels to "The Lord of the Rings," but, at first, there are at least a few interesting touches to keep things mildly entertaining. But things get steadily more offensive as the story progresses. Complete with a party of three Warrows (or Hobbits, if you prefer), an Elf, a Dwarf, and a future King with a magical sword, the party of heroes is forced by perilous circumstance to enter an abandoned Dwarven mine (aka, Moria) that was evacuated for fear of the Ghath (aka, Balrog) - a beast who still lingers in the mines. But as McKiernan might say, "Hai! Lo! That be not all!" For as the companions are debating a course of action, they are attacked by a tentacled beast that lurks in the water just outside the magically concealed gateway. Where have I heard this before? Except, of course, it was much more thrilling in its original format, to say the very least.

Yet there's more still. "The Iron Tower" is complete with its own version of Ringwraiths, wargs (called vulgs), orcs, and more. Surprisingly, the only thing that's missing is a Gandalf character. But I can assure you, had McKiernan included one, the company would have temporarily lost him in the Dwarven mines to the dreaded whip of the Ghath. For goodness sakes, the book even comes complete with an appendix at its conclusion! Perhaps McKiernan thinks that his world of Mithgar is as detailed and as rich as Middle-earth just because every creature, character, or place encountered has a different name to each race. ("Kraken!" cried Galen. "Maduk!" shouted Brega.)And just to note, to fuel further audacity, Tuck (aka, Frodo) carries a short sword called Bane that glows at its edges when enemies are about. Stings, doesn't it? Get it? STINGS?

Simply put, "The Iron Tower" is a fraud. It should never have been published. In fact, there should be some sort of law against it. I have in my day read and even enjoyed many Tolkien knock-offs ("The Sword of Shannara," or "The Eye of the World," for example), so I am open-minded about these matters. But "The Iron Tower" goes too far. It is shameful. It is outright theft. Fans of Tolkien should heed this advice well: steer clear unless you're looking for a good laugh. And for those who are not familiar with Tolkien, don't you dare accept McKiernan as a suitable replacement, for your own sake. There are a handful of interesting moments, but not enough to outweigh the wrongs that were done in allowing this series publication. With more work, McKiernan might have paid homage rather than desecrating sacred ground.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

Yes, but did he like it? :lol:
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I don't like McKiernan's work myself, but apparently this trilogy was written to serve as an introduction to his proposed sequel to LotR when he did not get permission from the Tolkien estate to publish it.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I don't really like david edding; not exactly an author of my tastes; his characters are usually very simple black and white.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I read ALOT of Eddings stuff. I read the Belgariad years and years ago and read the Mallorean after that.

Ive also read the Tamuli and the Elenium series.

Im a bit slow on the uptake sometimes.. Although I enjoyed some of it. If you read one series by Eddings.. you've read the rest. They all are recaps of the same story with different character names.(Even when they arent supposed to be the same story or even 'world'.

Thus I dont read Eddings anymore because I feel like Ive read all he has to offer.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Belgariad is a younger kids series, mallorean is a kludg-y sequel. Elenium is more grown up. But really not much difference between them. and his other stuff (e.g., Althalus) is the same.....It brings to mind a quote, from a supposed interview with Khelben Blackstaff about Bigby...."Had one good idea, and promptly beat it to death with a stick"

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”