What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Spiral Jacobs wrote
Ha, I remember reading that back when I was in college...a million years ago.

Mortice Root wrote:
Just getting into The Crystal Cave - the first book in Mary Stewart's Arthurian saga. Very good so far.
Yeah, I read these once before - maybe 10 years ago. I enjoyed them, but didn't think they were fantastic. I'm enjoying them much more this time around though. They apparently get better as I age.... :lol:

Now I'm about 1/3 through The Hollow Hills.
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Just finished Goodkind's Confessor. I know, I know, but it's been really slow at work, and I hate to leave any series unfinished, even if I did skip a couple of the last ones. Aside from being beat over the head with his Randian ideology (liberals are evil. I get it), it wasn't bad. Well, it was, but... let me say that if he wrote for platform RPGs (like Final Fantasy or lesser imitations) he would probably be rightfully acclaimed. It's good crap. That said, the plot falls of a cliff about 3/4 of the way through. Either Jordan's death hit him hard or his publisher got very strict. The fact that so many plot lines got so easily resolved (almost dissolved) speaks a bit about the contrived nature of most of it, I guess.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Stonemaybe wrote:*shrug* I think I remember enjoying GotM more than the rest. Maybe I was wowed by the world.
I think this is probably the case with me too--the world building is phenomenal. I do wonder whether his mate gets a cut of the profits of the books. I used to hang out with RPGers who did the whole world creation thing (obsessed they were) but there were always bitter fights when ever one or the other suggested they would do something (like try writing a story and get it published) based on the world and characters they'd created.
Ryzel wrote: IMO the biggest problem with the series is that is has such a wide scope that it is impossible to follow all of it closely without using a lot more effort than I have put into it. This is especially noticeable in some of the later books (Reapers Gale), fortunately by that time you can usually manage to keep most of the major players straight in your head.
That's the feeling I'm getting. And I also wonder whether this series will do it for me on the level I like books to: with so many characters it's hard to really get into the heart and mind of specific characters. And that's the type of book I particularly like (that's why I like SRD's books). Then again, maybe when I get to book 8 I'll think differently; and I'm not saying I'm not enjoying it because I am. It's great reading so far!
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Just started The Lies of Lache Lamora by Scott Lynch.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I'm just getting into The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. It's kind of weird, and not what I expected. I was thinking it was going to be cyber-punk, but instead it's neo-Victorian sci-fi (maybe more steam-punkish), which I'm not sure that I'm into.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Just finished Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Bones of the Dragon. . .

A seven-figure advance for the series, and a 200,000$ national campaign to promote this book???

A MAJOR disappointment, to say the least. Could well be the most disappointing fantasy title of 2009.

Check out the blog for the full review. . .

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I'm on my third re-read of Lord Foul's Bane, which will probably result in a third re-read of the First Chrons.
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

In my case it would not have been a case of probably, I think. I have always ended up re-reading the whole trilogy whenever I read a substantial part of one of the books.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:I'm just getting into The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. It's kind of weird, and not what I expected. I was thinking it was going to be cyber-punk, but instead it's neo-Victorian sci-fi (maybe more steam-punkish), which I'm not sure that I'm into.
Interesting. I just reread that novel a couple weeks ago. It's entertaining, and the world is flushed out nicely. It approaches but does not match the goodness of Snow Crash. On the other hand, you can see the roots of the Baroque Cycle in this work.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

wayfriend wrote:
Farm Ur-Ted wrote:I'm just getting into The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. It's kind of weird, and not what I expected. I was thinking it was going to be cyber-punk, but instead it's neo-Victorian sci-fi (maybe more steam-punkish), which I'm not sure that I'm into.
Interesting. I just reread that novel a couple weeks ago. It's entertaining, and the world is flushed out nicely. It approaches but does not match the goodness of Snow Crash. On the other hand, you can see the roots of the Baroque Cycle in this work.
That's sort of what I was thinking; I haven't read the Baroque Cycle (or Cryptonomicon), but I can see how it leads into historical sci-fi. I like The Diamond Age, but it's just not as exciting as Snow Crash, and it lacks the humor that woven throughout Snow Crash. (Edit: Now that I think of it, there are some subtle jokes, like about KFC, but it's still not as funny as Snow Crash.)
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:That's sort of what I was thinking; I haven't read the Baroque Cycle (or Cryptonomicon), but I can see how it leads into historical sci-fi. I like The Diamond Age, but it's just not as exciting as Snow Crash, and it lacks the humor that woven throughout Snow Crash.
If you like Stephenson's sense of humor, you will really enjoy Cryptonomicon (which isn't really part of the Baroque cycle, and is IMO one of the best damned books ever written by anyone anywhen). But I would also highly recommend Interface, which he penned as Stephen Bury.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Since I've been on vacation, I've finished "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis. Am now trying to get into "Angel Station" by Walter Jon Williams. "A Feast for Crows" is awaiting me (yes, I finally broke down and bought it -- maybe now that I have, Martin will FINALLY get off his arse and finish the next book :lol:) -- so I'll either read "Angel Station" in a hurry or set it aside in a hurry for Martin. :lol:

I thought "Good Omens" was great, btw -- the big meetup toward the end was one of the funniest scenes I've read in a long time. I'll have to find some of his other books now. I've read "American Gods" and "Anansi Boys" but I don't think I've read any of his other stuff.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

I've finished "The Lies of Lache Lamora" by Scott Lynch, and I enjoyed it so much I'm going straight into "Red Seas Under Red Skies".
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

aliantha wrote:Since I've been on vacation, I've finished "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
...oooh! oooh! That's one of my all time favorite books! I even used to have a black and white cat named Crowley! :D
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

^ I've just got to the airbase scene at the end. I'm enjoying it, but it's not grabbing me.

I am annoyed with myself that I bought my niece Un Lun Dun for Christmas, had it sitting in my living room for 3 weeks and didn't read it! :roll:
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Just finished reading C. S. Friedman's upcoming Wings of Wrath, the sequel to Feast of Souls. Man, what a ride!

Hands down, one of the fantasy books to read in 2009!

Check out the blog for the full review.

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Re-reading The Sirens of Titan. Poor Unk :(
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Stonemaybe wrote:^ I've just got to the airbase scene at the end. I'm enjoying it, but it's not grabbing me.
The airbase scene made me laugh out loud. For, like, minutes. :lol: And Sea, you have *such* good taste! :biggrin:

SJ -- Vonnegut rules! 8)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

I'm about a third of the way into A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's reminding me of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

I'll definitely be buying the next three books. :D
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

:roll: And I was going to try jordan soon!

Started 'Jennifer Government' by Max Barry on Tuesday, he's the guy that started the Nationstates game that a few of us play (details over on Gravin Threndor). I'm undecided as yet. it's got me gripped, but I suspect the plot will let it down. It's main strength is the clever setting, which is a future where the big corporations run everything - it's just-not-far-fetched-enough to make it a bit scary! Does that make sense? I mean, you can almost see the world turning out like it does in the book. And it's NOT a pretty future!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”