What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Just got my final Earthsea book: The Other Wind (and The Da Vinci Code) with my B&N Xmas gift certificate!!!! Will begin right after Martin's Tuf Voyaging, which I'm almost done with...it's a very good and fun book, btw... :D
Last edited by danlo on Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I'm reading David Gemmell's Dark Moon. This is one of his few stand-alone epic fantasies. Pretty good - Gemmell can always be relied upon to deliver a solid well-told story. He won't blow you away, but he will provide an entertaining read.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Clarkesworld Books
Servant of the Land

Post by Clarkesworld Books »

I'm reading LEGENDS II ed. by Robert Silverberg. So far, so good.

-Neil
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Legends II is up next for me. Too bad Donaldson doesn't have a Covenant story in there. What a wonderful appetizer that would be for us. :Hail:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Roland, that's an interesting topic in and of itself--it appears that Robert Silverberg (the editor for the Legends series) is either an idiot or has something against SRD. U'll notice in his intro 2 (the 1st) Legends that his "history" of fantasy jumps from Le Guin and McCaffrey straight to Jordan, Card and Martin--completely omitting Donaldson. (McCaffrey's more popular stuff isn't "strictly" fantasy anyway) I've never liked Silverburg's stuff and I don't like him here! :x Grrrrrrrr! Doesn't even mention Moorcock--seems like his "tastes" are all based on mass market sales figures...
Last edited by danlo on Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLurker
Woodhelvennin

Post by ShadowLurker »

danlo, I could not agree more. I too, am a big fan of Moorcock and the Elric books. And not mentioning Donaldson in his forwards is indeed a gross omittance. Even if you do not like Donaldson's writing style and use of big words, there is no denying that the Chronicles and the Gap books are extraordinary works of fiction.

Fist and Faith, I have fallen in love with the Earthsea books and already finished the first one, in the middle of the second one now, which I find moves a bit slower then the first. But still very enjoyable. I agree with Furls about the peaceful serenity of books as well. :)
"Even the blind can see this light, what a glorious passing this is.." -Stephen C. McKinney
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Danlo, it's been a long time since I read that introduction in the original Legends collection. If Silverberg was writing the introduction as mainly a framework for the stories in the book, then I can understand his jumping from LeGuin and McCaffrey to Card, Martin, etc., because these writers were the ones included in the book.

However, if the introduction was an essay on the genre's development, then you're right, omitting Donaldson was a terrible oversight.

As for a "feud" or something similar between Donaldson and Silverberg, who knows? Does anyone know if Silverberg even solicited an original entry from Donaldson? And if so, did Donaldson turn him down? Demand too much money? Want to write a Mordant's Need story instead of Covenant? There are too many intangibles.

I'm coming across as some sort of defender of Silverbob, which isn't really the case. I just feel an editor sometimes has a pretty thankless job.

As for Silverberg's own entry, I've never been that big of a Majipoor Chronicles fan, anyway, and I thought his story was the second worst of the entire collection. It really felt like he was just mailing one in - slow-paced and went nowhere.
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

The Illearth Wars baby!

(yeah, I know i'm slow -_-)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm excited 2 announce the creation of a Michael Moorcock topic in General Fantasy at Ahira's Hangar!! While it centers on the Elric books, I plan to have lots of web resources and other Moorcock books reviewed there 2. So if you dig decrepit ol' Elric and the AWESOME sword Stormbringer...get yer butts on over there! (click my www, below, 2 get there, right away)
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Bishopp's Heir - Katherine Kurtz
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

ROdAN wrote:Bishopp's Heir - Katherine Kurtz

*GASP*

Seriously??? 8O 8O

Those were my very first real fantasy love! I read them before TCTC, before Tolkien.....they were the ones that got me hooked for life. Not to mention taught me everything I know about the historical Catholic Church...

In 16 years I've never met anyone else (who wasn't related to me) who ever heard of them or Kurtz!

So....YAY!! :D :D :D ;)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

feel free 2 make Kurtz topic at Hangar too... 8)
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

*sigh*

I fear it wouuld just be me and RodAN all by our lonesomes in there.... :( ;)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

No it wouldn't all sort of weird fantasy fans (not just weird Watchers) pop in there from time to time MsMary moderates and she may have read Kurtz--duchess has read everything under the sun--and tho I haven't read any I'd pop in occasionally, just 2 b silly! :wink:
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Well, ok.....twist my arm a little harder....

Ok, ok, ow! uncle!!

*goes to start a Kurtz thread at the Hangar....*

;) ;) ;) :lol:
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Are you suggesting, Sir, that I am a weird Watcher? 8O
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

if the pointy elvish boot fits... :P
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Just be aware that when you post the topic, Shatterskull will whine about how the book reads like vcr instructions. He's such an idiot; I wonder if he ever reads his own crap? "Dark of the Dead" read like step one of vcr instructions, over and over and over and over again. Like, how many times do I need to plug the darn thing in, anyway?!? :screwy:

Just pickin' on ya, cromass!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Don't worry--I delete like heck over there! :wink:
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

I read the first three Deryni novels way back in the mid-seventies. Pre-Covenant, but not pre-Tolkien. I liked them, but wasn't blown away. Perhaps I should give Kurtz another look.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”