Canadians Eh?

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

AjK wrote:
Wyldewode wrote:the skin on my hands almost always cracks open and bleeds. I think it's a combo of the cold wind, low humidity in buildings, and repeated handwashings that are necessary to keep from catching every little germ that saunters by. :roll:
Lotion, lotion, lotion, Lyr! Since I am a year 'round bare foot kinda guy (inside the house of course) I actually get drying and cracking on the bottoms of my feet. This makes for bloody socks on the treadmill. I would lotion my feet but don't want to take the obligatory ribbing from my "loving" family...
Screw 'em, Andy. Put the lotion on your feet, and tell 'em if they say one more word, they're sentenced to an hour on the (literally) bloody treadmill. :evil:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:goodpost:
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Yeah, I need to do the lotion thing more. It's so bad that I had to invest in in-shower lotion for my body so I don't scratch bloody welts on myself due to itching. It just seems that all I do is put on lotion, and my hands still get all cracked. I have very sensitive and dry skin. :(

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

It can get pretty dry in my apartment too. Since we're talking about lotion, currently I'm trying out St. Ives and so far I like it better than the Vaseline Intensive Care brand I had been using for the longest time. St. Ives feels "cooler" on the skin and not as sticky as Vaseline. Sometimes it pays to just pick a random brand; it's crazy how many different kinds of lotion are out there.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Yeah. . . the possibilities are endless. Any particular kind of St. Ives you use? I'm about ready for a different bottle. I've been using Oil of Olay "Quench" but it's a bit to heavy for using on my hands (makes them feel slippery).

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Wyldewode wrote:Any particular kind of St. Ives you use?
I picked the "24 Hour Moisture" one.

Yeah, Vaseline seems a tad too heavy for me now, when compared to St. Ives.

Though let me say that for severely dry and cracked feet, I use Vaseline's pure petroleum jelly for instant relief. And I mean instant. That stuff is like the nuclear weapon of moisturizers. (Okay, not the best analogy.)
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I get the cracked fingers in the winter too...
partially due to my line of work also (I get road salt all over my hands too)
One thing that important to help prevent drying out, is too keep nearly as hydrated as you would in the summer in the winter.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

aliantha wrote:Screw 'em, Andy. Put the lotion on your feet, and tell 'em if they say one more word, they're sentenced to an hour on the (literally) bloody treadmill.
:lol: Good one! Of course now that I have lost over 40 pounds on that treadmill they are all starting to use it more on their own anyway. But the blood is a nice touch!
matrixman wrote:That stuff is like the nuclear weapon of moisturizers. (Okay, not the best analogy.)
Maybe not the best but certainly accurate. Of course if I started bringing home Vaseline pure petroleum jelly the family ribbing would increase 10x! 8O
drew wrote:One thing that important to help prevent drying out, is too keep nearly as hydrated as you would in the summer in the winter.
Agreed. Excellent advice!
... nobody I know.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Good advice, Drew. :)

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Yeah, it's just that consciously drinking lots of water wasn't the kind of thing that was ingrained into me. I have to find a way to incorporate it into my daily routine. Bringing a water bottle to work may help to remind me to drink (though I find those things faintly disgusting).
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

matrixman wrote:
Wyldewode wrote:Any particular kind of St. Ives you use?
Though let me say that for severely dry and cracked feet, I use Vaseline's pure petroleum jelly for instant relief. And I mean instant. That stuff is like the nuclear weapon of moisturizers. (Okay, not the best analogy.)
When I,m doing long distant running i.e training for marathons which I,m in the process of doing now Vaseline is a must as it protects the skin from the constant abbrasion you get from the clothes you wear (especially if you wear cotton which is a disaster) , but I try to advoid putting on my feet as I believe it makes them soft .Vaseline is a must for a runner , noting worse than a bloody nipple I can tell you. :oops:
I do use St.Ives on my hands just to help the hands from drying out as I have a outdoor job and I usually have lots of cuts after losing a battle with a rose bush. :biggrin:
I try to drink a litre of water a day mind you if stop drinking as much coffeee as I do it might help.
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

You marathoners are a crazy lot. :P The Manitoba Marathon is a big deal here every June.

I think I do drink a fair amount of liquids daily (coffee, soda, soup), just not plain water. And definitely not water straight from the tap. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just don't like the taste of tap water anymore after having filtered it for a number of years.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I've been trying to remember to use the lotion on my hands in the morning and at bedtime, and slathering up after I shower to lock in moisture. So far so good. . . no cracking, and the dry/scaly patch on my hand has disappeared. I still itch like the dickens, though. :(

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Out here on the east coast, we're now in the same deep freeze the prairies were/are in.
It's been twenty below, with a windchill's around thrity below.
And anytime it DOES warm up; we get 15-20 cm of snow.

Ahhhh winter.
(oh and I haven't been to Timmies in MONTHS!)
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

When do you go, eat some timbits for me! :D

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Elena: "Strike a blow for me, beloved! Deny the hand of the Despiser any Timbits!"

Covenant: (speechless)
AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

:haha:
... nobody I know.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

matrixman wrote:Elena: "Strike a blow for me, beloved! Deny the hand of the Despiser any Timbits!"

Covenant: (speechless)
'Xactly. . . I think. :lol:

Percipience
Servant of the Land

Post by Percipience »

So, how's it going eh? Two more days and another year is over! Who's gonna take it?
AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

Percipience wrote:So, how's it going eh? Two more days and another year is over! Who's gonna take it?
Hi, Percipience! If I haven't greeted you elsewhere (with my aging memory that is quite possible) welcome to KW!

Did you mean that you are done with your school year in 2 days? My daughter is done with her second year of high school tomorrow but still has to take Regents Exams over the next few weeks. She can't wait for summer vacation...
... nobody I know.

Return to “The Summonsing”