What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Just borrowed Bakker's The Darkness That Comes Before from my co-worker. Never read anything of his before, so looking forward to it.

--A
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Joe Abercrombie anyone

Post by Prince of Amber »

I wonder if anyone else is a big fan of Joe Abercrombie? He's a little like David Gemmell (on steroids!) He won't thank me for saying that I'll bet.

Really, and I mean really, dark stuff and funny and crude and just brilliant. For the first time ever I felt moved to write a fanboy e-mail to his website - you know the kind of thing ' I love your work and please keep writing' He (bless him) actualy took the time to write back ' I'll make you a deal - you keep buying and I'll keep writing' which I thought was cool.

Best Served Cold is his latest and I've just finished it - it's a great book. His Wizards First Rule books interupted my reading of Runes (I didn't like the 3rd Chronicles to begin with - I've since seen the error of my ways)

Recommended if you like your fantasy pitch black and grusome (and funny)
There is also Love in the World.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I guess you mean The First Law; Wizard's First Rule is Terry Goodkind.

Post by Avatar »

Ok, Bakker will have to wait...just got a copy of The Bonehunters from the same guy...It's crazy...so far I've read this whole story arc backwards. *shakes head* Oh well. :lol:

--A
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prince of Amber »

As Homer would say.... D'oh.

First law, anyone?
There is also Love in the World.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I'd be interested to hear your comparisons of Malazan and Prince of Nothing. Check ino the Bakker thread after you've read it.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill

Post by Avatar »

I intend to Brinn, and will let you know what I think. In fact, it was because of you that I expressed enthusiasm in reading them when he asked if I was familiar with him.

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Finished "Lion of Ireland" -- *much* better than "Strongbow". :) Av, I didn't have much trouble following the intrigue, but I've got a better handle on Irish history these days (tho still nowhere near perfect!) than you likely had at 14... :lol:

Then I started "Red Branch" (both by Morgan Llewelyn) but had to set it aside to do my reading for book club this week. Bah.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Post by Avatar »

Probably. :lol: I really should read it again if I can find it...I so enjoyed all the other books by her I've read.

--A
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I liked Lion of Ireland, but loved Red Branch!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
CovenantJr
Lord

Re: Joe Abercrombie anyone

Post by CovenantJr »

Prince of Amber wrote:I wonder if anyone else is a big fan of Joe Abercrombie? He's a little like David Gemmell (on steroids!) He won't thank me for saying that I'll bet.

Really, and I mean really, dark stuff and funny and crude and just brilliant. For the first time ever I felt moved to write a fanboy e-mail to his website - you know the kind of thing ' I love your work and please keep writing' He (bless him) actualy took the time to write back ' I'll make you a deal - you keep buying and I'll keep writing' which I thought was cool.

Best Served Cold is his latest and I've just finished it - it's a great book. His Wizards First Rule books interupted my reading of Runes (I didn't like the 3rd Chronicles to begin with - I've since seen the error of my ways)

Recommended if you like your fantasy pitch black and grusome (and funny)
That got my attention. Not that I'm a huge fan of Gemmell, but I've probably read more by him than by any other single author. Also, 'dark' is almost a sure-fire way to sell me on something.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Brinn wrote:Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley.
That's a good one, Brinn.

Ack, 14 more pages of the theory of myth, and I can get back to "Red Branch"! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I'm halfway through a reread of the Chrons. This time I'm taking the time to visualize every detail. Wow. Before (the three previous) I spead through...ahh, savoring this time...it's quite amazing how visually err, amazing the Land is.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:I'm halfway through a reread of the Chrons. This time I'm taking the time to visualize every detail. Wow. Before (the three previous) I spead through...ahh, savoring this time...it's quite amazing how visually err, amazing the Land is.
It is!
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Just finished Ken Scholes' Lamentation.

With cool concepts, endearing characters, and a panoply of plotlines, Lamentation is a strong debut. Not in the same category as Patrick Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, or Naomi Novik, but a quality read nonetheless.

It's too early to tell just how good a fantasy series The Psalms of Isaak will turn out to be. But based on the potential displayed by Lamentation, it shows great promise. Only time will tell. . .

Check the blog for the full review. . . :)

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

Post by Avatar »

Just starting Bakker's The Darkness That Comes Before.

--A
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

make sure you visit the dedicated thread to drop in your observations and your progress.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Dust of Dreams. 8)

Oh, Stonemaybe, you were right -- Red Branch was really good. I'd read Lady Gregory's version so I knew the basic story going in.

EZ Board Survivor

taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by taraswizard »

Her Smoke Rose up Forever, anthology of short stories all by James Tiptree Jr. Includes Houston, Houston, Do You Read?, The Women that Men Don't See and Her Smoke Rose up Forever. It's for our monthly reading group at the public library in Oak Park, Illinois. FYI, this selection was my suggestion to the group.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”