AFL: a non-contact sport.

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

What a cracker!! I know, you're either a Pies supporter, or you hate them. But seriously, a great game!
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

heya gentlemen, just got back from 4 days in Sydney, had a great time, managed to catch bits and pieces of the Pies v. Crows game at a bar; looked like a ripper - unfortunately for myself the idiots decided to turn the game off at 3 quarter time :-x
I wasnt suprised the Pies got up after they'd fought their way back into the game, from my casual observations they seemed to be controlling the play from about half-way thru the 2nd quarter ...

should be a cracker next saturday night, I'm not overly confident and hopefully the Cats aren't either, they'll have to fight this game right out from go to whoa ...

Pies have troubled the Cats over the past few seasons, and even though the Cats won by 27 points in their last clash few would remember (apart from supporters of each team) that the Pies opened up a very handy lead in the first quarter.
Geelong then went on to have what was one of their best quarters for the season and won fairly comfortably in the end, but the Collingwood side would be in no way intimidated by the prospect of facing Geelong ..
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

It will be a very interesting game! There have been some great games in the past, and I know that the grey hairs on my head will multiply watching the pies! Geez, last week was almost unbearable...

So my friends - predictions?

Me - Saints and Pies (I hope).

I don't think there'll be consensus this week!
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

You're right there, SteveiG.

I got slammed at work all weekend and only caught snippets of the match, unfortunately. But I was suitably impressed when I heard about the game later. I don't want to put the mozz on them, but Collingwood looked.....great. (There, I said it!! Now, I've got to go hang my head in shame in the corner.)

As for my picks: Cats and Saints. The ladder has been accurate so far, I'll stick with it.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

yup, Cats and Saints for mine too ....

you'd have been pretty chuffed with Collingwood's All-Australian representation this season Stevie G ?

They've been arguably unlucky in past seasons, but the inclusion of Swan, Maxwell and Davis this year (did I forget one ??) was a good reward for a solid H&A season ... .

for the Cats I was particularly pleased to see Corey Enright rewarded for a 2nd time, his season has been sensational, he's such a committed and well-rounded player.

Thought Simon Goodwin of the Crows was a bit lucky to get a nod though ..

Earthfriend, would you agree that Sam Mitchell would have been the Hawks best chance ? I thought he was perhaps a bit unlucky, every time I saw him play this year he dominated whether the Hawks where struggling or not ...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Heh, yeah, it's good to see 3 Pies in the mix, along with 5 cats? and 5 saints I think!

I agree, Enright is a machine, Ablett's a given, Selwood's certainly not too shabby either.

Some may be a bit more dubious, but I don't know all of the players that well, so can't really comment on all the inclusions.
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Not to sure how Davies got the nod over Didak, and there are a few other questionable inclusions and exclusions - you're right, SleeplessOne; I thought Mitchell would get in. For the reigning Premiers to not have even one player in the AA side, well, that tells you all you need to know about the sort of season the Hawks had.

To be honest, the AA side has always struck me as more of a political stunt than anything else. I miss the old State v State days. There was a certain prestige to playing for the Big V, and an excitement about watching players who would normaly be opponents run onto the feild together. Maybe I'm just showing my age...

--edit--
And they included Fevola? Hmm....
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Yeah, perhaps it's a bit more of a celebrity team :lol:

As much as I hate to admit it (showing my age too...), I'm with you Earthfriend - I enjoyed the State v State games.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Saints v Dogs. A very tough game, low scoring, not free flowing. But still a ripper.

Things are going according to ladder status still. Let's hope the Pies can change this :D
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Did you see Rocket Eade at quarter time? He was fuming - to jump out to a lead like the Bulldogs did and to let StKilda claw it back, well, he was not happy Jan.

Hard, hard game. (See Nick R. have a chunder after the final siren?) Could have gone either way.

Now for the blockbuster. I'm sticking with the Cats, but all the best to your boys, StevieG.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

pressure was immense !!

felt the Dogs were a bit unlucky with regards to the Umps on a few occasions (the free kick and goal to Riewoldt for bugger all contact was soft for instance) but the Saints were more than worthy winners.
Dogs really did lack a key forward, whereas the Saints had the luxury of bombing it long to Riewoldt (who was massive) and Kosi when in doubt.

great great game !
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

3 quarter time and the Pies are looking totally outclassed. Any other team and I'd probably be writing them off, but we're talking Collingwood here, so it's still a game. But you'd have to favour the Cats from here...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I don't reckon they can come back from here - looking like a top 2 clash for the final...
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Well, it got a little one sided in the end. Cats just too strong, too polished. They play like that, and Saints are in serious trouble. Still, they've lost one Grand Final kicking poorly, and even tonight they missed goals they should've kicked.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

That'll teach me to pick against the panel!

It looked like the Geelong of old in the 2nd half of that game. If they can keep that up, I don't think the Saints can stop them. But it SHOULD be a good game.

All the bookies are picking the Cats - but they probably picked Adelaide too after they scored 150+ in consecutive games. Either way, I know that you're gonna be nervous SleeplessOne!

I'm going to pick the Saints next week (no real reason apart from the fact that my household will be much more pleasant to be in if they win).
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

Either way, I know that you're gonna be nervous SleeplessOne!
very very much so 8O

I was feeling sick until Geelong got about 5 goals up against the Pies, if it's close on GF day I may well keel over !

congrats to 'the little master' Gary Ablett jnr for winning the Brownlow last night btw; very deserving winner :D
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Agreed....though I must admit that a not very nice part of me was hoping he wouldn't get it, just because. But there really was no-one close to him this year, was there?
StevieG
Andelanian

Re: AFL: a non-contact sport.

Post by StevieG »

SleeplessOne wrote: I was feeling sick until Geelong got about 5 goals up against the Pies
Imagine how sick I felt!

Yeah, Gary Ablett was probably the only candidate this year for the brownlow. But I agree with you Earthfriend (when I'm not feeling nice :) ) - I think the commentators glorify him a bit too much. I acknowledge he's a great player, but all the comments about "Ablett genius" and .. oh, I can't think of it now... makes me hope he meets his match. Having said that, I think he's a top player and deserved the medal.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

A great final! Congrats to Geelong, they fought it out. The Saints seemed to have the run of the game, but couldn't kick straight - they'll be regretting the many opportunities they had earlier in the game.

Some of the big guns were cancelled out - Ablett had a relatively quiet game, as did Riewodlt. Chapman was the standout by far for me - he kicked straight, and probably buried the Saints in the final quarter.

How do ya feel SleeplessOne?!?! :D
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

The Saints choked, yet again. I know, I know, that's a horrible thing to say - and probably not even true - but they had it; they had it won and they lost it, bugger it.

I know I picked Cats, but I was barracking for the Saints. Great game - perhaps not technically, what with the dodgy conditions, but immense pressure.

Congratulations Geelong.

Return to “Sports”