New game ideas

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I vote for loremasters title

Also, Running a WHFRP game would probably be a good idea, as Im using the WHFRP rules minus the more fantastical elements like magic and elves, so guys playing VoB would be used to the rules.

and as always with you and lore, you know Ill be in for your game
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Am I correct in thinking that Lore, Dorian, and Stone Magnet would be interested in a Warhammer Fantasy Role Play game? Anyone else?

Just half an hour ago, I had a perverse idea to run a Borderlands RPG. Insanity to even think such things, though.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

id play that too. im a fallout fiend from way back
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Am I correct in thinking that Lore, Dorian, and Stone Magnet would be interested in a Warhammer Fantasy Role Play game? Anyone else?

Just half an hour ago, I had a perverse idea to run a Borderlands RPG. Insanity to even think such things, though.

Interested in either. From what I've read in the archives of the last Borderlands you ran, it was pure post-apoc excellence.
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

If Montresor runs Borderlands, I am definitely playing a Sanctus Spiritus priest.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

I am a bit gutted I never got to truly unleash my puritan Fascists upon the wasteland.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Would it pick up where the last Borderlands left off?
I could continue with the Sisters of Solace if I wanted?
I don't think too much was given away regarding them at game's end...
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I have no clue about the world, and have only skimmed one of the rulesets, but I'd be down to play.

Any excuse to make another ID...
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Menolly wrote:Would it pick up where the last Borderlands left off?
I could continue with the Sisters of Solace if I wanted?
I don't think too much was given away regarding them at game's end...
It wouldn't exactly. Likely the timeline would be five or six generations after the events portrayed in Borderlands (the strategy game). That way I could (with player permission) adapt elements of their factions for background detail. If I set the game immediately after the strat game ended, things would be too dispersed for an effective RPG. Better for me to have an artistic clean slate.

Certain factions would be better suited as NPC villains or encounters (like the LSF and the Sisters of Solace), though I am amenable to suggestions. I must admit, however, having players joining up who all belong to radically different factions would seem a little gamey to me. it would be better if players created something a little more adaptable and generic (at least in origins).

That said, some of the factions were simply too rich to not allow players to use.
Stone Magnet wrote: Interested in either. From what I've read in the archives of the last Borderlands you ran, it was pure post-apoc excellence.
My thanks for such praise. It's nice to think that people who weren't part of the game are interested in it. :)

I've just been re-reading some of the old game posts. I really shouldn't do that, as it's making me keen to run the RPG version. Perhaps the Wolf of Bulvai can howl again?
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Montresor wrote:Certain factions would be better suited as NPC villains or encounters (like the LSF and the Sisters of Solace), though I am amenable to suggestions.
Well fudge...

Is there any chance I could role play a Sister-member of the Foederata? Or, if that's too powerful, a Sister of Mercy?

...or maybe even a successor to Sister Justine, who had a long, successful, hidden career? :twisted:
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Replied in PM, to preserve the SoS's little secret.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thanks, Montresor.
I'll wait and see what you decide.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Feel free to reply anyway.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

...I didn't want to interrupt your chapter writing...

In that case, however... ;)
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Greetings, I am Brother Owen of the Sanctus Spiritus.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Brother Owen wrote:Greetings, I am Brother Owen of the Sanctus Spiritus.
:)

Now I have to do it...

I've been giving some thought to this, and in many ways it's easy for me to run. After discussions with Dorian and Lore, I have a fair idea of how to approach the game.

Firstly, most of the setting is complete. I had about a hundred random locations from the original game which I can use for the RPG. Secondly, many of the locations encountered in the strat game will stay exactly where they were generated (some may be very different after 100-150 years, of course).

Thirdly, character classes would follow patterns dictated by the strat game. There would be three essential categories - Waste Nomad, Shelter Dweller, and Cultist. Each would have a set of career options unique to it - i.e. Cultists may be able to choose to play The Faithful, Waste Land Preacher, Priest, Acolyte, Militia etc etc. Obviously, having emerged to the surface 150 years before the RPG, Shelter Dwellers would no longer be 'shelter dwellers' but the 'pure-strain' descendants of such. They still would have lived closeted lives and, despite their technological expertise, would be slowly becoming weaker as a result of too selective breeding.

The game itself would be somehwat 'sandbox' in fashion. Players would be presented with a large world with infrequent habitation and be allowed to do what they will within there. GM interference would be light, so players who like to self-police would be most welcome.

The setting would be ultra-nihilistic. Charity and kindness are viewed as signs of weakness, and are often exploited. Lifespans are short, due to the harsh and twisted environment; and simply fining water to allow deeper travel into the waste would be challenge.

There is no such thing as magic, psychic powers, or the supernatural in this game. That said, it is best understood as a game about Survival Horror. Most of the time, however, it's the waste itself which is the 'horror'.

If I start this, it may not be for a couple months, so that I can be sure I will have access to running the system. I would use a modified version of WFRP, with ranged combat rules from Dark Heresy (essentially the same as ranged combat rules from WFRP).

Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Yet another game that sounds like too much fun to miss! I'd be very interested in playing, as and when you decide to run it Montresor.

(I'm assuming a participation rate of approximately once a day would be sufficient; that's all the time I have available until around April, 2010.)
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Earthfriend wrote:Yet another game that sounds like too much fun to miss! I'd be very interested in playing, as and when you decide to run it Montresor.

(I'm assuming a participation rate of approximately once a day would be sufficient; that's all the time I have available until around April, 2010.)
You're welcome to join.

Once a day is fine by me. If I can run this, I would probably be able to devote only an hour a night, five days a week to it. In my experience, that's enough if you don't update someone's adventure more than once a day. Sometimes I'd do more.

Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Excellent. I'll have a read through the archived threads of the previous incarnation of this game, then, in search of inspiration. (That's right Menolly - I'm actually planning on doing some research. OMG.)
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Oh yes... research. Blah. Take something awesome like this proposed game, and turn it into homework.

Return to “Gravin Threndor”