Buying elections

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

Buying elections

Post by Cail »

I saw a bit about this today on the McLaughlin Group.

Bloomberg spends record $85 million in New York mayor’s race
Mayor Michael Bloomberg has now spent $85 million of his own fortune in his bid for a third term as mayor of New York City. By the Nov. 3 election, that total is expected to soar to between $110 million and $140 million.

This means Bloomberg – whose campaign spending is estimated at $850,000 to $1 million a day – has set a new record for personal campaign spending.

By contrast, Bloomberg’s competitor, comptroller William Thompson, has spent only about $6 million.
And it's no secret that he's gonna win.

Bloomberg is apparently pretty much universally loved in New York, so most people really aren't taking issue with this.

I am.

Bloomberg is worth roughly $17 billion. Thank God he's a good mayor, 'cause if he wasn't, no one else could hope to outspend him.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Didn't Perot try to do somethng similar with the presidency? I can't recall the details.....

You're right tho' and buying office could be the thin end of the wedge. It's not such a leap from there to imagine that if 'buying' the office were legitimate, then being sponsored or financially supported to but the office would also be ok....after all not everyone has $17billion in pocket change and any US born citizen should be treated equally in their ability to contest.

President of the USA sponsored by Coca-Cola? Nuclear standoff when Pepsi get the rights to Putin?
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The Perot situation was different. He was running as an actual independent (instead of switching parties for expediency as Bloomberg has done), so Perot wasn't eligible for public funds for his 1992 run.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Tatiana Ivanova
Ramen

Post by Tatiana Ivanova »

*shrug*

politicians are, essentially, for sale these days. Like hookers, only far, far less honest.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

......and probably a lot less fun!
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Give every contender for every office a million bucks, and that's the limit they're allowed to spend on a campaign. :D

--A
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I've had an issue with the amount money spent on campaigning for some time now. It keeps on increasing, drastically with every election. Imagine all the good that could be done for people in need with all that money.

As Cail said, in Perot's case, he was an "illegitimate 3rd party", Bloomberg is a member of a political party, and didn't even need to spend so much money. Yes, it was his money to spend, but, he could've given it away to charity or paid extra taxes with it or created jobs or something far more productive. And his competitor only spent $6Million compared to his $85Million? What a tragic waste of money and it really makes the race lopsided, and perpetuates the growth of the wasted money for campaigns.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Yea, and these same politicians talk about how they care about economic hardships of this country. Imagine if they spent campaign money on buying healthcare for the millions who don't have it, voila! No problems.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Agreed.

--A

Return to “Coercri”